“Average food but live music and crowded dining room made for a nice vibe!”

Volcano's Lava Rock Cafe
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Volcano
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had dinner here the other night while in Volcano. Both my partner and I had hamburgers which were really good and filling. It was a cold night, so we appreciated the nice server who did seem to forget about us on occasion, but who was really nice nevertheless. There was like music, which was also relly nice and calming for such a quiet location.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I thought I was on an episode of Restaurant Undercover. All of the staff were standing around the counter talking about other servers not on duty, gave each other high fives when a couple who arrived after us left before ordering, did do a couple of walk arounds and just looked at us until my husband finally got up and asked if anyone was going to take our order. Note, there were only two other tables seated and already eating when we arrived. Prior to ordering I overheard one server mention that most people come for the burgers so I inquired if the waitress would recommend anything else; she said no. So we ordered burgers. My husband liked his teriyaki burger. My burger tasted fishy and sour so I didn't eat it; my husband agreed. No one asked how our food was. However, the waitress did take the charge of my meal off the bill after I told her my burger was inedible. For this reason, I can give 2 stars.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We came down cold and hungry from watching the volcano glow, and this place looked cute and kitschy. We didn't have to wait long, the service was pretty good and the food plentiful and of good quality, if unpretentious. This place doesn't pretend to be five star, and doesn't need to be - Volcano is a rustic place and Lava Rock fits perfectly.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

To be fair, we didn't eat here. We sat down, picked out what we wanted, and waited. And waited. Then, more tables were seated. Then, we waited more. Finally, the servers seem to notice people were sitting and waiting and they started to come out ... but not to our table that had been seated the longest. We were probably there for 20 minutes. We got up and left, thinking we could find other options. This place might be #7 because there are few other places to eat past 2pm. We ended up at little go to place behind the grocery store. I would recommend bringing food into the park and picnicking or eating at the old military camp that's in the park. Later, locals told us that was the best option.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a great breakfast or lunch place in Volcano, very near the entrance to the park. The food is basic, but homemade and delicious. The salads are generous and the shrimp salad club was the best I have ever had.

1  Thank redcat777