“Who knew??”

Cuisines: American
Victoria, Canada
“Who knew??”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We recently spent a night up at VNP and based upon some insider advice, had each of our meals here. We are not military but made very welcome. I was told that the accommodation remains only for the military but us civilians are very welcome to eat. I am sure no one is expecting a hatted restaurant but if you are happy with an all you can eat buffet with solid plain food, this is the place for you. All our food was hot and fresh. A glass of wine can be fetched from the next door bar. Everyone is friendly and chatty, full of families on holidays... I loved it. So convenient and easy. Dinner was about $18 each and breakfast was $5-6 (this was ordered off of a menu).

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank NewcastleClaudia

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good location - good value for money”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

It is in the national park, so you can easily get a nice lunch or dinner here in between the activities. It is cafeteria-style, so do not expect anything fancy. Salads are fresh and there are several things to choose from. It was not very clear for us in the beginning, if you are allowed to eat here, if you are not staying at the camp or if you are not a military person. We still wonder, why they do not advertise and serve more people.

• Visited July 2013
Montgomery, Alabama
“Not bad, but nothing to rave about”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I wish I could give this 3.5 stars. My husband I were starving after hiking around the crater, so we both ordered meals which included the potato bar, basic salad bar, soup, and I think ice cream (we rarely eat desserts, so never pursued that). The soup was tasty and hot, but the potatoes (wrapped in foil) seemed to have been sitting too long. The salad bar was fresh but very basic. My husband ordered some type of spicy chicken, but said it was just okay. I ordered the teriyaki chicken, which was quite good, but stone cold (as if just removed from the refrigerator). My husband had them heat it up for me. Again, the food is not bad, but it is not great overall. It was convenient after a long day hiking, but after the first night we ate elsewhere (Tuk Tuk Thai Food Truck) and the Volcano House Restaurant. Like their hotel accommodations, the restaurant could use a really good cleaning.

• Visited April 2014
“Went downhill from last year.”
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Our group comes here on a business trip every year. The location is awesome. Had dinner and breakfast there. However, dinner was uninspired, over cooked and tasteless with grease thrown in. Lots of buffet sides so that made up for 7 bad main dishes. Breakfast was worse-inedible and cold. Steam trays weren't on, everything was cold and greasy. Bacon was hard and oily. Thank goodness the coffee was hot. Is someone running the place? The Hale Koa folks took over and it got worse instead of better.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Kahupoo
Oahu's Windward Coast, Hawaii
“Don't Pass This Up”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Great place to eat dinner after a hard day of hiking. The food is great and kids are welcome. Good buffet selection and the ice cream bar is a great attraction for the kids---and their parents.

We live near-by and stop by often for dinner. You will not be disappointed with the food, the closeness to the volcano, and the general lodge-like atmosphere.

Visited February 2014