“This is the place to stay in Volcano Village”

Volcano Teapot Cottage
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Just came back from Hawaii. We stayed 3 nights at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel in the west side of the island, one night at the Volcano House and the last night at the Teapot cottage. Our best overall experience was at the cottage. Bill and Antoinette are really into details. The grounds, the spa, the privacy, the kitchen filled with goodies, the bathroom, were all amazing! Book way ahead of time for this treat!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Foncho11

Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights at this delightful cottage. Its location, just 1 mile from the park entrance is ideal if you want to dash over to the park to catch the late evening or early morning glow. The cottage is perfect for a couple or a small family. We loved the propane stove and heated blanket on the bed, both of which kept us toasty warm in the evening. The cottage is extremely comfortable and contains pretty much all of the comforts of home, including a front loading washer & dryer. The bathroom is spacious and is comparable amenity-wise to a top resort - large tile shower with skylight, antique claw foot tub, granite counter top, gorgeous chrome fixtures & even a towel warmer. Most importantly the water pressure is excellent! The owners stock the fridge each afternoon with a full array of breakfast fixings, including fresh fruit, sausage, eggs, yogurt, bread, oatmeal, bagels, juices, milks, etc and provide a special baked treat each day. We loved our stay here and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank asharb
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We are just finishing up a three day stay at the Teapot and had a wonderful time. The thing that pleased us (besides the secluded hot tub, the plentiful breakfasts, and the great shower) was that the owners were so attentive to little amenities. Lighting throughout the cottage was bright and good for reading, there was a Kleenex box in every room, flashlights for our use, robes, slippers, a menu box filled with nearby restaurant suggestions, and plentiful trash cans. We were very comfortable. The cottage is quiet and private. Delightful!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SevenContinents50
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I spent four nights in December at the cottage. Our initial delight in it and the grounds never diminished. Close to the National Park and other sites, the warmth and artistry of Bill and Antionette is evident throughout. Our every need was anticipated and met. Breakfasts were delicious and generous, the aromatic and decorated Christmas tree a delightful surprise. I can't say enough about the cottage. Go experience it for yourself, you will have a dreamy time there.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the teapot for a week, over thanksgiving this year. We decided to use the cottage as a base to explore the big island and I decided to take a gamble with such a long stay (7 nights) after having read many of the positive reviews. Having stayed at many B&B's (we are both from Europe where B&Bs are the norm), I can say without hesitation that this is the best B&B/cottage we have ever experienced.

Bill, our helpful host, had thought of everything. The cottage was decorated to an extremely high standard with all modern conveniences. The bathroom had obviously been recently remodelled with a beautiful shower and old fashioned claw foot tub, which was ideal for taking a relaxing bath. There were little touches everywhere, they had thought of everything…comfy slippers available to wear, nice robes, flashlights right next to the door in case you went to the hot tub when it was dark and each day the fridge was refilled with fabulous breakfast goodies. Quiches, scones, croissants, muffins, eggs, fresh juices, sausage, yogurt, papaya, pineapple...Not to mention the incredible choice of gourmet coffee and tea. I left a note mentioning we really liked the hazelnut coffee and an entire box appeared the next day. Talk about service! Bill even had made a reservation at the local lodge for Thanksgiving dinner for us, knowing that otherwise it would be overbooked. The meal was fantastic and made Thanksgiving day special for us.

The best part was the hot tub. Set in lush tropical gardens that surround the cottage, it is the ultimate hideaway. We used it every evening, it was so relaxing and tranquil.

We found the cottage well placed for exploring the entire island. We spent considerable time in Hilo, snorkelled in Kona, hiked the entire Volcano national park and explored the black and green beaches that were nearby. There is even a winery in Volcano that we stopped into. They were so friendly and we really enjoyed the tasting.

The bottom line is that you will never find a better accommodation for the price. This place is a serious steal and we would both know, as we both travel extensively internationally for our careers. If you are looking for a romantic hideaway, then this is the place. If you're looking for nightlife and hustle and bustle, go to Kona.

Thank you so much Bill for the wonderful experience. The volcano teapot cottage made our honeymoon one of the most enjoyable trips we have ever had! I have told my parents about the teapot and they are keen to visit when they make their first trip to Hawaii hopefully soon.

xx Shelley and Vincent

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shelley P
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and I have traveled a lot and stayed in many Bed and Breakfast accommodations. We can honestly say that we have never stayed in a place that is so perfect. Nothing has been left to chance. Everything that a traveler needs is available. We stayed three days and wish that we had booked a longer stay. When we arrived in Hilo, we stopped at a local store to pick up some food supplies. Not necessary. When we arrived, we found a fully stocked refrigerator with juice, fresh fruit, yogurt, homemade pastries, eggs, butter, etc. Plenty of coffee and of course..... tea. Our frig at home is not as full. The only thing we really needed to buy was some wine for the evening.

The grounds are lovely. We loved all the little teapots on the paths and especially loved all the flowers. We felt like we were in our own botanical garden. While strolling the grounds, we found the private hot tub that has such ambiance. We took full advantage of the hot tub and the fluffy robes left for our use.

Bill and Antoinette are the perfect hosts. They have thought about everything a guest might want and they have made sure that it is available. Bill met us the morning after we arrived and gave us a great orientation of the island. He really helped us plan our stay and make the most of our time on the island. Just to give an idea how wonderfully accommodating Bill and his wife are, here's what happened. While we were waiting for Bill to come to see us that first morning, I was drying my hair and the hair dryer popped and died. Since Bill was coming to the cottage, my husband gave him a call and asked if he had an extra hair dryer. Bill told us that he didn't. So I figured I'd just greet him with wet hair. When he arrived at the cottage, he had a brand new hair dryer. He said that he had to make a stop at the hardware store on his way to the cottage and lo and behold, the hardware store had a hair dryer. I call that REAL SERVICE!

There is a washer and dryer for your use. The cottage has a variety of TV channels -- can't remember if it's cable or dish and wireless internet. The appointments of the cottage are charming, inviting and comfortable. The bed in the master bedroom is very comfy. We were there at Halloween and Antoinette had put out adorable Halloween decorations and even some candy "treats" for us.

Truly, it may sound trite, but it is so true. There is absolutely nothing that we can think of that Bill and Antoinette could have done to make our stay better. We truly loved every minute we spent there and wish we could have stayed longer.

If you are going to the Big Island, do yourself a favor and book some time here. You will never regret that decision.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness center, but a lovely hot tub in a quiet, wooded area.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2013

What can I say that has not already been said by may others, perhaps only to provide this perspective. My partner and I just stayed for 6 nights at the Four Seasons in very special circumstances and this little place beats it hands down. I am writing this review sitting on Bill's front porch. The only sounds are the birds in the forest that is all around. Every single aspect of this little place is perfect. It is spotlessly clean, provisioned above all expectations and it is the care and attention to detail by Bill and his wife that makes this place stand head and shoulders above anywhere else. My only complaint - we only booked for 2 nights and we should have stayed at least 4.
Bill, thank you for world class hospitality, you set a standard that very few "professional" hoteliers ever achieve. You could double your price and you would still have a queue waiting to stay.
Using the now famous words of Arnold "I'll be back!"

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple