“Absolutely amazing place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Volcano Teapot Cottage
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Absolutely amazing place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed in this beautiful cottage for two nights whilst on our honeymoon. It is in 5* condition, a lovely secluded location and only 5 minutes drive from the entrace to the national park. The cottage has a luxiourous feeling whilst being like a home away from home and with the modern conveniences you could want. Bill and Antonette do a fantastic job of providing all breakfast options you could want and because they don't "live on site" you have all the privacy you need. I cant say enough good things about this place and can't wait to go back one day!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Karachi, Pakistan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Having read the previous reviews, I expected a lot from the cottage. It surpassed all expectations! The location of the cottage itself is gorgeous. The surrounding garden and forest area is a lovely walk and you can enjoy in the evening sitting out in the veranda having your tea.
The cottage itself is decorated tastefully and thoughtfully. It feels very homey and comfortable. The kitchen has everything you may possibly need! Bill and Antoinette fill the fridge with everything you may need! There was juice, milk, eggs, sodas, bread, jam, butter etc. Alongside this are tonnes of teas and coffees. There was also a coffee maker, oven, microwave etc. Antoinette provided yummy freshly baked goods every day as well! I am a huge tea drinker so I really enjoyed having the cakes with my tea every day.
The bathroom has a lovely tub as well as a separate shower. The bathroom was also fully stocked with a hairdryer, tissue, cotton balls, toothpastes, cotton buds, shampoos etc. In fact my husband and I actually tried to see if there was anything we may need which wasn't provided and we found there was nothing. Antionette's philosophy is that on vacation you should not need to worry about getting the nitty gritty and everything should be easily available for you.
The bedroom was very comfortable with heating mattresses if it got chilly (which it did). There were heaters provided for the bedroom and for the living room as well.
The living room had a very comfortable couch with a large tv and an extensive dvd collection.
The hot tub outside the cottage in the rain tree forest setting was really nice! Bill and Antoinette also provide robes and slippers and a torch inside the cottage to be used for going to the hot tub.
Staying at the cottage was an amazing experience. My husband and I found looking forward to coming home every evening and in fact cancelled a tour one of the days so we could relax at the cottage.
Bill was fantastic is giving us an overview of the Big Island. He came over on the first day and gave us tips on driving around and tours. Following his advice, we got to see some lovely sights all around the Island. It was lovely meeting both Bill and Antoinette. We had some very interesting conversations with them.
Also Thai Thai had some of the best thai food we have every had outside of Thailand.
Overall it was a fantastic trip! I will definately stay here again and strongly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank malihazl
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I’m not sure what to say that has not already been posted here. I believe the largest factor in my 5-star rating is that the Volcano Teapot Cottage is unique. We have stayed in quite a few luxurious, modern hotels and condos, which we like. However, we have never stayed anywhere quite like the cottage. One thing that sets this place apart is that Bill and Antoinette obviously approach their business as a labor of love; they clearly could charge more for this place. Bill is a cabinetmaker and transformed a simple box house (ask to see the before pics) into a classic 20’s bungalow. It might not mean a lot to most people, but I’ve dabbled in woodworking and truly appreciated the detail of the custom woodworking in the cottage. It’s homey, but modern. [BIG NOTE: Unlike many hotels I stayed, the Internet was fast, easy and reliable; full cable TV service too.]

Why the name teapot? Antoinette said that she liked to play tea party when she was a little girl, and has had a life-long passion with tea. Now, I prefer coffee (they have a Keurig with unlimited varieties of K-cups), but the many, many teapots and tea varieties were cool; I found myself making iced tea one day. One reviewer noted that the cottage was too cool in the morning; it was cool, but I liked that, coming from steamy DC weather. There’s a stove in the LR (just flick on the switch) to take the chill off.

As for sightseeing: Do ask Bill in advance re recommendations for tours, etc. We waited until the last minute, and the guide to see the lava run fell through. There was plenty to do otherwise, but if I had it to do over again, I’d definitely consult with Bill before I arrived. Also, note that while can walk to the small city of Volcano, you will most likely drive it. Antoinette supplies fruit and cake/bread/etc for breakfast; there are juices, mile, water, etc in the frig. For dinner, eating in one night was a nice option for us; just plan ahead. We also thought the food at Thai Thai, in Volcano, was pretty good Thai!

Do take some time to visit with Bill and Antoinette. They are both just great … and fun to talk with. They live nearby, and you’ll probably run into them during your stay. We should have planned more time to visit with them; they really seemed to enjoy our visit.

Finally, the cottage is located on about 3 acres. The landscaping and gardens are incredible. Sorta like a tropical resort… except you have it to yourself. We never used the hot tub; it’s located in its own structure about 50 feet from the house, accessed by a winding concrete walkway. That structure, too, shows great craftsmanship.

We have only visited Honolulu in the past, and I was not so impressed. My friends all said to visit the Big Island, and they were right. Staying at the cottage made the visit even better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

It's no wonder that the Volcano Teapot Cottage is booked out months in advance - this place is an absolute gem! We were lucky to squeeze in a visit for 2 nights, but wish we could have stayed longer. Located a mile away from the National Park entrance, there is no better place to enjoy the park. Not long after we arrived, Bill came to introduce himself and explained all the wonderful walks and activites around us. Thanks to Bill - we arranged to do the night hike to where the lava meets the sea - it was amazing - do not miss it. While we didn't get to meet Antionette, we did get to sample her absolutely fabulous banana bread and cakes. The cottage is a house of love - from the moment you walk in you can feel the amount of love and effort that has gone into the place. The bed was super comfty and we loved coming 'home' after a big day in the park to relax in the jacuzzi and watch dvds by the (gas) fireplace. We will return, but next time, we will stay a week. Thank you so much Bill & Antionette!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here two nights in May and were sorry to leave. There is just one cottage here, but we were just a couple, no kids, so having it all to ourselves felt luxurious. The cottage is roomy, well-decorated, comfortable, located very close to the volcano park, and there are lots of little extras to make your stay special. There are two large bedrooms, a living /dining room with a couch and a rocking chair, a gorgeous bathroom with a shower and a separate clawfoot tub, and a nice sized porch. There are several places to sit and relax on the land surrounding the cottage, including a private hot tub located in a covered gazebo type structure. When you arrive there is a welcome letter with instructions on how to use the hot tub and lots of information about the area attractions. There are even laminated maps that you can use as you explore the area. It was chilly the night we arrived and we made use of the little oven/fireplace in the main room to warm the place. We had been rained on during a hike that day and were perhaps bizarrely excited to find a washer and dryer for us to use at no additional cost. Fresh baked banana bread or pastries are there for you to have at breakfast (but I got into them immediately). The fridge is stocked with a variety of breakfast options- eggs, sausage, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, etc. You cook your own breakfast, but with so many options, who cares - plus it's more private that way. And everything you use gets re-stocked for the next day. Our first morning, Bill offered to come by and answer any questions we had about the area and he spent a good amount of time with us and provided lots of helpful advice. There are also lots of travel books and reference materials in the cottage. I could go on and on, but suffice to say that the owners have thought of everything. We loved it here and if we are ever in this area again, I think we would want to spend a few more days at the Volcano Teapot Cottage.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was a great place for the vacation. The owners were very nice and made our stay very comfortable. I loved the breakfast they would bring for us, especially the fresh papaya which was delicious. I would love to go there again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RajeshTr
Madison Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights out of the 13 that we were on the Big Island and wish we would have spent more time at the Volcano Teapot Cottage. Bill and Antoinette and fabulous hosts. The cottage is nestled in a beautiful 2 acre "rain forest" setting. The flowers and plants just unbelievable. From the moment we walked into the front door we knew that our stay there was going to be amazing. Each day is provided with a outstanding breakfast of fresh fruit, homemade sweet breads, juices, eggs, the finest teas and coffee. After all day sight seeing to come back to the cottage and feel right at home, watch a movie or enjoy the completely private hot tub. I can't say enough and recommend the Volcano Teapot Cottage enough. I will return to the Big Island and that is where I'm making my ONLY reservation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple