“A few issues”

Ranked #7 of 31 Volcano B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“A few issues”
Reviewed March 17, 2005

Though this place is great with the ammenities it provides - gloves, flashlights for volcano walking. A full kitchen to use at anytime of the day except breakfast. (a big plus because dining is limited in the town, just bring groceries from Hilo or Kona) There are some big issues. Fist, the shared bathroom. It could use some work. The shower needs to be replaced. Mildew is an issue but I think anywhere in the town would have this problem. Bathroom noise was a problem. The walls are paper thin and depending on what room you are staying in, you get to hear everything that is going on in the bathroom. The garden room seemed okay but our friends in Alpine found the noise the worst. And, the one bathroom just isn't enough if all the rooms are full. They should really put in a half bath somewhere to provide an extra toilet. Gets rather busy in the AM. I have stayed in a lot of B and B's and never had these issues before.

The second issue was Robert. Everyone raved about him and his friendlinees in the previous posts but we did not experience this. Maybe it was a bad couple of days or something. He just seems burned out, a little cranky. And breakfast was disappointing. One day, he didn't cook enough eggs for all the guests, and he took off in his golf cart before we could ask for more. Another time he put juice glasses out and never offered juice. Food was pretty generic quality.

So, for the price, I might stay there again with all the above in mind, (staying in the Pele suite with private bath) but I would first look into other options in town.

• Stayed March 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
new york
Reviewed February 28, 2005

The place is relaxed, the host (Robert) very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was great (pancakes, eggs, waffles, & papaya). The location and price are also great. We spent our first night in the Pele Suite, which was spacious and has its own bathroom, fridge, and microwave, all in great shape. The next night, however, the Pele Suite was booked, and we had to move to the Heritage Room, which was not so very good. The shared bathroom (needs renovation) and the thin walls (earplugs thoughtfully provided by the hosts) were not deal breakers, but the airborne mold was. A sniff around the place the next morning indicated that the Garden Room was also musty, but the Alpine Room seemed fine. We did not investigate the room downstairs, but did hear at breakfast that its ceiling is a bit on the low side. The hot tub is open all night, there is an intriguing tree house, and a small flock of geese that serve as sentries and provide local color.

We like the place, but it does need some work. Less carpeting (on the rainy side of the island) might be a good start.

• Stayed February 2005
5 Thank micefry
Irvine, California
Reviewed December 3, 2004

You Gotta Stay at this B&B if you are visiting the Volcano National Park!!! This place has a private entry and the main house that the guest stayed has 3 beautifully decorated bedrooms and a SPACIOUS bathroom though might need a little remodeling on the bath-tub; it also has a suite room that attached to the house for group of family. Living room has a fully functioned fireplace, a dining room, a fully equipped kitchen, a smaller dining area with a bay window that overlook the front of the house for intimate moments and a room that allows guests to surf the internet and not to mention that flashlights, raincoats, first aid kits etc that one can borrow when visiting the park. In short, one can expect the amenities of a home in this B&B. BTW, the host and hostess do not live in this house that the guests stay..they live in another similar house next door. So, if nobody is staying there during your stay, you really has the house to yourself. Wonderful location with nearby eateries in the Volcano Village AND REASONABLE ROOM RATE(I hope this will stay for a reasonable longer time, ;-) Check out their website at http://www.bbvolcano.com/ and you will find WYSIWYG. Delicious Breakfast..reknown Papaya Boat filled with banana slices, eggs, sausage links & patties, Macadamia Nut Pancakes and the standard beverages that one would expect from a hotel.
We just love this place and for sure, Aloha Junction B&B will see us and through words of mouth, our friends and family, there in the near future. Robert(the host), please keep up the good works because you really has a jewel property in this prime location and we hope to see this place of yours flourishes and becomes the first choice of stay in Volcano National Park. Cheers and Hooray to that!!!!!

3 Thank starofjupiter
NYC
Reviewed October 13, 2004

I stayed here Sept. 27-Oct. 1, 2004 and couldn't have been happier w/my choice. It's an excellent B&B and I absolutely loved the time I spent here. I too spent a lot of time researching online before finally deciding on Aloha Junction after reading the reviews posted here. They were all right on.

I stayed in the Garden Room, which I personally think is the best one in the price range. When I arrived I was the 1st and only one there. The doors to the other rooms r left open when not occupied, so I took a good look at each one. The Pele Suite is beautiful but then again it's a higher price. Robert, the host, is in the process of expanding the place and explained to me that each room will have its own bathroom very soon, which of course I thought to myself will raise the prices too. I just hope it will still be the great value that it is now.

The entrance to Volcano Park is just about 1 minute by car, which was pretty handy since I spent 4 days in the park and very convenient when coming back at night from seeing the lava flows. The b&b is within walking distance to food stores, atm's, gas, etc. It's a really tiny town but the whole area is peaceful and very relaxing. The whole house is a good size w/plenty of windows and very good light. There r 3 rooms that share 1 pretty large bathroom, Pele Suite has it's own. The livingroom has comfy couches, a wooden rocking chair, a recliner and a gas fireplace, which I put to good use since the nights get chilly up there & was very welcome. There's a large screen tv w/cable, a stereo, and a nice dining room. You can use the kitchen and store your own food in the fridge.

There is a jacuzzi outside, which was fabulous to sink into in the evening after hours of hiking in the park and the night sky is positively littered w/stars. I even saw a shooting star. They have free high speed internet to use. I was even able to print out directions to my condo rental on the Kona side before leaving. They provide every amenity you could possibly need or want. It's just like being in your own home.

I also have to say the breakfasts the host Robert whipped up were amazing: Papayas filled w/banana, macadamia nut pancakes, sausages, fresh hashbrowns, omeletes, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, orange juice. Great variety. And it was really nice for this single traveller to share this delicious food w/the other guests at breakfast and share stories. All in all, this is an easy one to recommend. And I would definitely love to return.

4 Thank Everlynx
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2004

We stayed here July 18-21, 2004. We absolutely loved it. After researching for quite a while on the internet we choose here. It was great. We stayed in the Pele Suite. It is the more expensive room ($99/night). It was huge, had a private entrance and porch. The jacuzzi was right outside the back entrance. We enjoyed relaxing in the jacuzzi after all the hiking we did. The entrance to the Volcano National Park is 1/2 a mile away. We spent a lot of time there so this place was in a great location for us. The breakfasts were great. There was always a table full of people and full of great food. It was delicious. They also have a computer with high speed internet access that the guests can use for free. We were able to do our online check-in with our airlines and print our boarding passes before we left. We definately recommend this place to everyone. We would stay here again for sure.

4 Thank Erin29
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed May 26, 2004

It was a pity we only booked one night.....the host Robert was so warm and pleasant. The house was very cute, and the jacuzzi was perfect after a night of hiking to the lava. The breakfast was great, especially the beautiful presentation. All praise here, thanks! Cannot wait to return.

2 Thank Globecrawler_WeHo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 4, 2004

I stayed at Aloha Junction for 2 nights in May 2003, and I hope to return again later this year. I loved this B&B!

When I called to make my reservation and Susan asked how many people there would be I told her there would be one person and one bicycle. She responded by telling me that they'd just repaired their backyard jacuzzi - and that she thought I'd enjoy it after biking. That sounds good to me - bike from sea level to 4000 feet of elevation, then hop into a hot tub! I chose the room with a pillow-top queen bed, and was told that was the best choice in the house. I received a prompt confirmation and directions by email.

This is a fabulous B&B. The hosts own two houses on the grounds. They live in one, and use the second as the Bed & Breakfast - so the guests have access to the entire house. My room was lovely, and shared a bath with two other guest rooms. There was a wonderful living room with comfortable couches and a gas fireplace, a nice dining room, and a full kitchen which the guests were welcome to use. And there is a tree house out front that houses two twin beds - an interesting place to stay if you don't mind heights! There was a computer with internet access (free), and a jacuzzi in the back yard.

A big plus - I was given a sheltered spot for my bike.

The breakfasts here were out of this world. My first morning's breakfast was papaya, bananas, coffee, pancakes, and sausage. My second morning's breakfast was papaya, bananas, coffee, and a marvelous quiche. Aloha Junction is in Volcano Village, so it is walking distance to both a store and to several cafes and restaurants. I was on a Thai food kick while I was at Aloha Junction, so I actually picked up take-out from the local Thai restaurant Thai Thai on both of the nights that I stayed here (great food, by the way). Both the host and the woman who did the cooking were wonderful. And as I was leaving, Robert told me to make sure to tell my friends about Aloha Junction, saying that they like to have cyclists stay there. I definitely recommend this one!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Chalet Kilauea
#3 of 20 in Volcano
Lotus Garden Cottages
Lotus Garden Cottages
#1 of 31 in Volcano

Been to Aloha Junction Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!