“Great Experience!”

Akamai Adventure Tours & Travel
Ranked #4 of 18 things to do in Volcano
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Are you planning a trip to Hawaii? If so, explore the Hawaiian Islands with Akamai Adventure Tours & Travel!! When you travel with us you have the chance to experience an adventure of a lifetime. We are a guiding service company that wants to share the most unique place upon our planet and show you hidden Hawaii.We provide the island of Hawaii's most private, exclusive, intimate adventure tours at very affordable rates. We are a family owned business with 32 years of experience in the outdoor recreation industry. Our professional, knowledgeable and friendly staff brings an exuberant amount of passion and energy to every trip they lead. Through extensive interpretation, Akamai Adventure Tours & Travel hope to instill in your hearts the respect, admiration and ALOHA spirit that will connect you to the 'Aina (land) forever. Call us to book your adventure of a lifetime. By making your reservation today, you're already AKAMAI (wise, smart intelligent). Explore the Big Island with us! Hawaii Volcanoes National Park * Lava Viewing * Hawaii's largest fresh water lake (Wai O' Pele) * Black Sand Beaches * Akaka Falls * Rainbow Falls * Queen Liliuokalani Garden * Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Farm * Panaewa Botanical Zoo * Big Island Candies * Volcano Winery * Art Galleries * Hawaiian Vanilla Company and much, much more
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We recently booked a private tour with Hailey, she was amazing!!! We were on our honeymoon and she customized the tour just for us. She was very knowledgeable about the volcano national park, Hawaiian culture and had us laughing the entire time. One of the best excursions we did! To top it off at the end of the tour she took us to the black sand beach where we found hug sea turtles!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was our final tour on a four island stop from a cruise ship. Hands down....this was the very best tour and guide! Tyler, the guide, was fantastic.

We've all been on those big bus tours with the guide who has the memorized spiel, the pack 'em in buses, the lines, and the bathroom breaks to accommodate the herd. The Akamai tours are not like that at all. They are custom tours to meet the needs of the client and I think they are a bargain compared to the cost and time with a ship excursion or a large group tour. (Don't forget the comfort.) Our tour lasted about 5 ½ hours. We were picked up at the dock and returned to the dock as well. No lunch, but we were given Hawaiian snacks and water. We could have picked up something at any time.

When you make a reservation, you will be requested to tell about your interests, abilities or inabilities, goals, special requests, etc. They literally make a tour that fits your needs. They can deal with people like us who aren't able to walk long distances and make the trip exciting, interesting, and just memorable. They also have more trips that are for the young athletes in the family. You can pick from a specific tour or they can design one for you which can include water activities. You need to visit the web site to see what they can offer or talk to them. It is worth your time.

Tyler took the two of us to Rainbow Falls, Volcanoes National Park, Jaggar Museum, Lyman Museum, Thurston lava Tube, a local art gallery, a bakery, the islands largest orchid nursery, a black sand beach which had green sea turtles . Tyler and his wife, Hayley, were trained to be volcano tour guides and it showed. As a retired teacher that has taught science, I can tell you that he really knew his material. Not only did he know so much about volcanoes specifically, but he knew about the impact on ecosystem. Tyler was also quite knowledgeable about the local Hawaiian culture and history. He made the tour so interesting and informative. I noticed that he caught on quickly to which places caught our eye and worked with it. We weren't particularly interested in the orchid nursery so we left early and yet other places that we focused, he allowed us to stay as long as we wanted. We spent a half hour at the art gallery and wanted to stay longer, but we knew that there were other places to see. By the way that art gallery was not the usual touristy crafts, it was unique pieces of Hawaiian art. (sculptures, photographs, prints, paintings, blown glass and furniture).

Some of the highlights: The black sand beach with green sea turtles was amazing. After spending my life in southern California, I have never seen a black sand beach and to have sea turtles there as well, was pretty special. I didn't expect the turtles to be so large and people were right next to them playing in the water. We also saw a mongoose on the rocks nearby. Hawaii Volcano National Park: This was my first experience seeing an active volcano. We saw the crater from so many different angles. Tyler showed us the Pele's hair which are threads of volcanic glass. I would have never noticed those tiny glass fibers if he hadn't pointed them out. We saw trees that were engulfed by lava. The views were great. We had steam coming up on one side of the road going to a different view of the crater, and steam on both sides of the road coming out which is something you don't see everyday. Rainbow Falls was beautiful and makes the perfect spot for a photograph.

If I come back to the Big Island again, I will take another tour with Akamai. I feel like there was so much more to see and this is the company I would call. Even if I did a tremendous amount of research and rented a car, it wouldn't compare with the memorable trip they would give me. If this review sounds like a “pitch”, it is. I have never been on such an impressive tour and I feel like it shouldn't be missed.

1  Thank Alyne
Reviewed January 21, 2014

No worries on this tour with Tyler as his skills and talent as a guide was impeccable. His knowledge of the land, history and culture in Hawaii made me crave for more. So glad I came over to the Big Island from Maui for this tour. Well worth the time and effort.

1  Thank Lsuff
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Really enjoyed this tour. It was custom designed for us. When we mentioned we'd seen a couple of the sites our tour guide, Tyler, had worked into the schedule, he immediately reworked the schedule to accommodate another stop. His knowledge of both the geology of the area and the culture surrounding it was nothing short of astonishing. We "talked story" most of the day and into the evening.

Hikes were exactly what we like to do--tromping around in the wilderness, with few formal trails worked into the day. We were exposed to volcanoes just as we'd hoped--first-hand, and with someone who could point out details like "Pele's hair and tears" and peridot--things we'd never have noticed ourselves but found fascinating. Tyler thoughtfully paused regularly for comfort stops, and brought snacks and water for us. I'd recommend this tour company in a second!

There were admission fees involved in this tour but they were covered by Tyler.

1  Thank MARIA D
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

My family and I had such a wonderful experience with Tyler. We toured with him for 2 days around the volcano and from Hilo to Kona.

His knowledge about the Big Island is incredible - he knows everything there is to know about Hawaii's ecosystem and history and it's just mind blowing. You are sure to learn a lot!

Tyler is a very sweet and kind hearted soul and I couldn't recommend him more.

2  Thank TravelingGirl44