“So Peaceful”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Hurricane...
“So Peaceful”
Reviewed April 22, 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 nights in Richard's delightfully quirky cottage. It looks like a lifetime of collecting has gone into the objets in the house.

Having come here from Honolulu, it was a joy to unwind to the sounds of birds and the pitter patter of rain (which lasted almost our entire stay!).

Richard greeted us on arrival with a thorough tour of the house having put the fire on for us so that immediately we felt at home.

The house is very well appointed; the kitchen in particular has every appliance one could want. The beds are extremely cosy, so we slept very well, although we didn't need the electric blankets that Richard said the "soft" people of Volcano require! Our kids slept in one bed by choice, but if they had been any older, the futon (which is set up in the living area) would have been required. As a result, the cottage would perhaps be too small with 2 teenage children.

The TVs (there are 3!) have all the entertainment required including Netflix. We loved doing the jigsaw puzzles.

The location is excellent, being only a short drive away from the Park etc and a walk away from the village centre including Cafe Ohelo (if it is not raining!).

Richard is a lovely host who, although he stays next door while visitors are staying, is completely unobtrusive even though he comes in each day to cosy the place up.

In truth, the difference between 4 and 5 in this review is minimal. The missing bits are minor; another arm or rocking chair so four people can comfortably watch television and a slightly better fridge are the only real quibbles.

swanc634
West Vancouver, Canada
“QUIET, WELCOMING RETREAT”
Reviewed February 27, 2017 for a stay in February 2017

Our friends booked this cottage for a two night stay and we were thrilled with the place. This warm and welcoming retreat in the rainforest is very quiet, clean and filled with some amazing antiques. We loved the heated beds!

Richard, the owner, was there to greet us when we arrived and to show us around the cottage. He is a lovely and warm host who went out of his way to make us feel welcome. He has an extraordinary knowledge of the area and made several suggestions about "must-do's" while in Volcano.

GeoGeek20...
British Columbia, Canada
“In a tropical forest, conveniently located, for a charming, welcoming stay--perfect!”
Reviewed February 25, 2017 for a stay in February 2017

This home, set in a lush, tropical rain forest, offers comfort, serenity, and lovely gestures of welcome. Its location near Volcanoes National Park allowed me to explore nearby wonders with little travel time. The owner, Richard, was thoughtful and thorough in creating an inviting and delightful home away from home. I'm looking forward to returning to this special place.

nlarmstr
Normal, Illinois
“Charming fern forest cottage”
Reviewed February 14, 2017 for a stay in January 2017

This charming and cozy cottage is a perfect place for nature lovers,or folks who want a quiet getaway. The cottage is very convenient to Volcano National park if you are planning on visiting there several times (essential). The little village of Volcano has several nice restaurants, but the cottage is well-equipped for cooking in. Host Richard is a wealth of information about the area nearby and gave us tips about places we wouldn't have visited otherwise. This part of the island is well worth exploring in depth, and we were happy that we spent less time at the beaches!

Your age range 65+
Chapra
“Don't go by reviews”
Reviewed January 19, 2017 for a stay in January 2017
person found this review helpful

Read excellent reviews in trip adviser. Booked the cottage via hotels.com paid 510 USD for two days which was non refundable. Within minutes of booking received email from Richard about directions and tips of exploring nearby area. Checked in today 1/19 - Richard was polite took good care to ensure child safety- the cottage was vintage with carpets and bedding probably from 1940s. It was bit congested with not great ventilation we felt the carpet could need some cleaning - not ideal for people with young kids. - decided not to stay- talked to Richard and hotels.com - they said charge including taxes is completely non refundable - bit the bullet and moved to another hotel within 1 hr of checking in. . Writing this review so that no one else with young kids suffers. Of course as going by trip adviser reviews there are few people who loved the place and may be have taste for old cottages - not my cup of tea. There should be a mechanism that once you check in a property if you don't like you should get full or partial refund. It's like buying a car online and if you don't like it you can't do anything about it. Will never book a property like this which requires full payment at time of booking and no refund if you don't like it.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Jan 22, 2017
Dear former guest,
A Two Star review is devastating.
I have worked very hard to earn my present 5 Star Rating.
Thankfully I am allowed to respond to your comments.
On your families arrival I greeted you all at the cottage and gave you a thorough 1/2 hour operational tour of the cottage as I always do for guests.
I gave a lot of extra effort as well to have the cottage Very safe and well appointed for your children.
After the operational tour with no further needs Or questions from you, I bid you good night and several times encouraged you to call me with Any needs .
As I stay in a detached studio on separate property, I am always available for guests needs and questions.
That, is called "Checking you in".
Later I got your phone call informing me you were "Checking Out" and not once but Twice you said out loud that you took All Responsibility for your decisions and that you were going to join with friends staying in Kona.
I was sorry to hear that ..... But it was Your decision.
You said "no hard feelings".
You did Not mention that the cottage in your opinion was dirty.
I do want to explain in detail for you if I might.
All pillows and mattresses in the cottage have hypo allergenic casings on them.
All small area rugs are washed regularly and tumble dried.
Shower curtains are changed and always fresh.
My sheets and my Bath towels are of superior quality in Brand and are always fresh, no exceptions.
The bathrooms are scrubbed and thoroughly cleaned and stocked.
The entire cottage is constantly being vacuumed, dusted, floors waxed and maintained.
I have hosted many guests over the years and never once has someone complained regarding your concerns.
There are electric fans throughout the cottage and I always encourage guests to just leave them running for air circulation throughout the house whenever they like.
As you know Volcano is located in a Rain Forest and these efforts are a way of life here.
You may also not have realized that being so close to the Volcano we do at times experience VOG ( Volcanic Gas )
The cottage has thermal windows in many areas, a hearty Propane Fireplace and both beds have memory foam toppers and all are equipped with heated mattress pads as well.
The next part is very important to understand please.
You did NOT rent my cottage using Flipkey / Trip Advisor.
You booked your rental with an entirely different company.
For Guests safety many company's I advertise with make your Booking And collect and then HOLD your payment.
I personally Do Not get paid until a day or so After you check In.
Money is Not released to me until after the fact.
( Checking In )
When you called and I "Checked you Out" of the cottage I specifically encouraged you to contact the company you used immediately.
That was my advice to you.
They, Not I controlled the payment for the rental.
Furthermore I am Not Privy in the slightest as to what you say to the company in your phone calls to them.
You talked with them and they evidently denied your refund.
They did call me as you were in the process and asked me questions and also asked if I would RE check you in IF you desired to do so.
I said, " No Thank You.
These guests officially checked out.
Which brings us to your call to the Booking company who held your payment ( not I mind you)
I know they gave you a fair hearing of your situation.
Based on Your conversation with them and their policies they Denied you a refund.
Only you and they know the contents of your conversation.
It was their decision based on your explanation.
I am truly very sorry you thought so poorly of my cottage.
I want very much to have Happy, satisfied guests.
I try very hard to deliver a wonderful home away from home environment for my guests.
I value Every single one of them.
Past, Present and Future.
As mentioned you are the very first to ever call the cottage dirty.
I respect that and am very sorry for that, but honestly do not agree with that statement.
I do wish you well.
Best regards
Richard
A TripAdvisor Member
“Eclectic cottage close to Volcano National Park”
Reviewed January 9, 2017 for a stay in December 2016

This was the perfect location for visiting Volcano National Park, which is just 5 minutes away. Richard is a very gracious host and has a lot of ideas about what to visit in the area. The cottage itself is interesting with a lot of art and collectibles. The beds are comfortable and we loved the heated blankets! The kitchen is well stocked. Richard made every effort to accommodate our kids (3 and 6) with safety gates etc. However, I wouldn't recommend this cottage for families with children any younger or children who are very active as there are a lot of things in the house that could be harmed. Otherwise we had a nice stay in this eclectic cottage.

shuvtim
Northlew, United Kingdom
“Rain Forest Oasis”
Reviewed October 31, 2016 for a stay in October 2016

We arrived late(having forgotten to tell Richard what time we were arriving) to find a wonderfully cosy cottage oasis in the middle of an untouched rainforest. The fire was on, welcoming flowers, coffee, all manner of make your own waffle varieties- just what was needed after a crazy journey from UK. As the week progressed Richard let us have his pearls of wisdom on best places to visit. We filled our week with unusual activities- you really dont need to go with 'experience firms' if you are prepared to put the work in. And always, we came home to a clean and welcoming cottage. Richard really bent over backwards to make our stay a memorable one and we will be recommending anyone we can think of to stay there if they get the chance.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The quirky cottage
Liked least: nothing
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
Nov 1, 2016
Aloha S and T,
Thank you so much for the kind words.
After your incredibly long trip from the U K I am very glad that the cottage was a welcoming and comfortable base for your adventures on the Big Island.
I know you both were very active during your eight day visit and congratulate you on your inspired and seemingly non stop exploring.
I thank you also for your kind attitudes, friendliness and especially your taking such nice care with the cottage.
You were as they say : " The perfect guests "
There is always a free complimentary night in the cottage waiting for you should you visit the Big Island again.
Aloha with thanks and my best regards to you both.
Richard
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing