VolcanoDiscovery Hawai'i - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Best thing we did during our week-long vacation to the Big Island

This was by far the best experience ever! I found this tour company by doing research on Trip... read more

Reviewed September 1, 2014
anm123
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Absolutely amazing

One of the most scenic & beautiful excursions we took in our 2 weeks do island hopping - & that's... read more

Reviewed August 24, 2014
Jessie S
Houston, Texas, United States

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our honeymoon in Hawaii and had to stop in the Big Island to tour the active volcano. My husband is an earth science teacher, so we were looking for an experienced and knowledgeable guide. Neil from Volcano Discovery was all that and more. On the administrative side, Volcano Discovery gave detailed instructions and even clarified directions for me the day of the hike. They were very helpful and responsive over email. On the day of our excursion, Neil took us and one other person on a hike that lasted over 6 hours (around 8 miles). He was incredibly friendly, informative, and truly interested in showing us all the volcano had to offer. He provided equipment, water, and snacks, was very patient with me and my questions (the only non-science inclined person there), and was more than willing to go the extra few miles to take the time to show us both the active lava flows inland and the lava flowing into the ocean (I believe we were hiking the in the Pu'u O'o region if I remember correctly). Although the hike was long and tiring, I was so excited to be able to see active lava and get closer to it than I ever thought possible. This was truly a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget and I can't say enough great things about our guide Neil. I highly recommend this company as they keep their tour groups small and they provided an experienced and wonderful guide for our

Be sure to wear high socks, good hiking shoes, or long pants that will keep the rock fragements out of your shoes!

1  Thank Callie G
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our tour was amazing. Our tour guide Arthur was friendly, knowledgable, and flexible with what points of interest we hiked too. He made our hike fun and memorable. Seeing the live lava was incredible and something to see in ones lifetime. I highly recommend this company and ask for Arthur, you won't be disappointed:)

1  Thank Runnerchik3233
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Excellent guide with knowledge of area and geology. Spent a good hour at the lava flows taking photos and movies and just watching it move, and then had dinner on the coast ledge watching the lava enter the ocean in big fiery explosions. Most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Definitely doing this again when I get back to the Big Island!

1  Thank Jen E
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked the 12hr Volcanoes National Park and Lava Proximity Hike private tour. It was absolutely amazing!

We had Arthur as our guide, he picked us up from our lodging at 10:30am, took us through the park until 2:30pm, drove us about an hour to Kalapana (where the lava is currently flowing), so we could do our hike to the flow and ocean entry and then dropped us back at our lodging at 10:30pm. It was a long day but so worth it, along with great value.

Arthur knew all the answers to all our questions and was very knowledgeable in the geology of the volcano, native fauna and flora, as well as Hawaiian history and mythology. It was very insightful.

Arthur also provided us with many snacks for the day, including fruit, taro chips, mac nuts, cookies, juice and water. He also had hiking poles, gloves, headlamps and a tripod, and helped us take some amazing photos of the lava.

The hike was 8.2 miles (14km) round trip on uneven ground, and the last 1.5hrs was in the dark, but with the headlamps and Arthur's guidance we always felt comfortable and safe.

As for seeing the lava, it's hard to put into words, other than this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that you should definitely take if you have the chance. Witnessing the birth of the newest land on the planet, feeling its heat and its power is phenomenal, and we thank Arthur and Volcano Discovery for helping us experience this first hand.

1  Thank tazbot
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We loved our 4 hour tour, our guide was excellent and gave us a great insight into the changes that have happened with the volcano over the last 50 years, way more than if you were relying on the parks signs.
We felt it was worth booking this tour rather than going round ourselves due to our limited time in volcano. He took some great photo's of us by the caldera, really went that extra mile. We decided to do the helicopter to Blue Hawaiian rather than hike to the lava. We wished had stayed in the volcano area or HIlo for longer than 2 days.

1  Thank lisajtalbot