“Volcano National Park Tour”
Review of VolcanoDiscovery Hawai'i - CLOSED

VolcanoDiscovery Hawai'i
More attraction details
Owner description: VolcanoDiscovery Hawai'i is now proud to support educational excursions through the non-profit Friends of Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park! By supporting the Friends, clients are provided with a captive expert guide of the same high quality but at a significantly lower cost than a luxury tour, with proceeds directly funding forest restoration, the Hawksbill Turtle (Honu 'ea) Recovery Project, the Nene Recovery Project, the park's Junior Ranger program, and the Youth Internship Program for underserved, at-risk students to work in the park. To experience the best of Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park with an expert instructor or naturalist guide, contact the Hawai'i Volcanoes Institute-On-Demand. Guides with VolcanoDiscovery training are available by special request through the Friends based on availability. VolcanoDiscovery continues to provide volcano news and global volcano travel despite discontinuing its Hawai'i luxury tour service.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Volcano National Park Tour”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I took the 4 hour tour with a group of friends. Eric was our guide. He was great. It was like having a friend show you around. Eric has a great personality and was receptive to our questions and requests. He knew about the park, the volcano, the plants and the animals. He was able to teach me about the volcano in a fun manner. Eric took the group to see fissures and other neat stuff that I would have just driven by if I had been there without him. The tour seemed to fly by. The snacks were local beverages, water fruits, nuts and chips. Eric brought more than enough and encouraged us to eat as much as we wanted. Then only downside was that I didn't bring a heavy enough hoodie. But that was okay too, Eric brought jackets. Who would have thought you could get cold on the top of a volcano? I would do this tour again in a heartbeat.

4 Thank Rachel C

Raleigh
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Hawaii Volcanoes National Park tour and Lava Hike”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We scheduled the 12 hour tour during our trip to the Big Island at the end of May. We had a tour of the park during the day with Philip and Jake-- with my husband's geology background, they did a great job of catering the tour to emphasize the geology of the park, and we got to appreciate much more than we would have just driving through the park on our own. We then took a late afternoon/evening hike on the coastal plain with Jake to see the lava up close-- it was a strenuous hike, but what a fantastic experience having the lava flows to ourselves! We were very impressed with Volcano Discovery and would definitely recommend them to anyone who wants a close encounter with the volcano.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank rsyddy
Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Lava up close and HOT. Once in a lifetime, unforgettable experience”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We had an amazing, once in a lifetime experience with Arthur. Exhausting and exhilarating at the same time. We hiked about 8 miles round trip (the last 2-3 miles in the darkness). We got within feet of flowing lava! My husband and I and our three teenage boys were utterly awestruck. I felt very confident in Arthur's advice about where to step and where to avoid. Without Arthur as a guide we would never have ventured so close to the lava. Make sure before you consider this hike that you are reasonably fit, wearing appropriate footwear and clothing and bring lots of water. We also brought trekking poles that helped us older folks a lot (even though they sometimes got stuck). Its not for the faint of heart or body but its something I will never forget!

7 Thank ScrabbleMama
Olympia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Incredible Tour!”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My 23-yr-old son and I opted for a short 4 hour tour, since we had spent the entire previous day in Volcano National Park. Erik totally adapted the experience to our interests, which were more along the lines of biology and culture. So, in addition to the fascinating geology and viewpoints, we saw rare native plants and beautiful birds, a mosaic of Eco-systems including old growth forest; we learned cultural legends concerning the local plants and the geologic phenomena; we even learned some Hawaiian language! Besides being an expert in so many areas, Erik was friendly and laid-back, but so enthusiastic. Or, as my son puts it, he was a chill dude. I highly recommend making the investment in one of VolcanoDiscovery's tours.

3 Thank cougerfan
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hawaii Volcano National Parks Tour & Lava Hike”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was the best tour by far on our trip to Hawaii! My sister and I done the 14hr tour and lava hike. It was very informative and interesting and we had a wonderful guide. We done a hike mid morning and climbed up a shield volcano i cant remember the name of, but the views where fantastic from there. The Lava Hike in the evening was just amazing and to see lava that close! what can i say... WOW!! It was well worth the hike over the difficult terrain. We where so tired after the whole day but we'd do it again!! I would definitely recommend Volcano Discovery Tours. And it deserves 10 stars not 5!!

Visited July 2012