“Flea Market Saturday”

39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 421 helpful votes
“Flea Market Saturday”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I drove by on a Saturday looking for the farmer's market but that event was scheduled for another day I guess... What I thought was a farmers market when I arrived ended up being a flea market they do every other Saturday. I scored some great Hawaiian music CD's for $1 each (normally $15-20 in stores), and some Thai Food from a popular (according to the locals) Thai Food Truck parked at the event. I'm not normally a flea market person but it was cool to walk around and meet the locals who were friendly. If you want something to do in Volcano, and Volcano is pretty boring IMHO, then check out the Cooper Center because you might find something going on.

Visited March 2014

Volcano, Hawaii
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The Heart of Volcano Village”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

If you want to see the Volcano community in person, visit the Cooper Community Center on Sunday mornings (6-10 am) for the Farmers' Market. Beyond buying fresh produce and local fruits, you can have a wonderful breakfast, see the products of local vendors with an eclectic assortment of wares.

The Cooper Community Center is located on Wright Road. It is a County facility that is run by the community.

For long term visitors, the Cooper Community Center offers many different classes (fees depend on the class), a place to meet, and community events.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mrl84
Denver, Colorado
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Delicious and cheap!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

This farmers market is only open on Sundays so stock up on the prepared food if you go. We had an absolutely delicious, fresh breakfast from Papa'a Palaoa Bakery. The sausage sandwhich was to die for with fried egg, sausage, tomato and fresh basil on a wheat English muffin. I normally don't do English muffins because they are usually too chewy but this one was perfect. We also grabbed the last slice of spinach and mushroom quiche. It was fabulous cold, I can only imagine how great it would be hot! We also picked up several prepared servings of food from the other vendors. I don't know there names because they didn't have business cards like the bakery did. Regardless, one table was completely vegetarian and I have to admit I didn't miss the meat at all! The other vendor had delicious beef sliders, fried egg rolls and shrimp with yellow rice. You can not beat the prices for the food found here anywhere else in Volcano, maybe even the whole Island! There were also your standard vendors selling jewelry and fresh vegetables and baked goods. I highly recommend stopping by this market if you are in Volcano on a Sunday morning. Also they open at 6 so don't be too late or else all the good stuff will be gone and stock on food for lunch or dinner for a few days if you can.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Jessica F
Hilo, Hawaii
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Volcano Farmer's Market”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Volcano Farmer's Market is one of the best on the island.

The market in Hilo is more of a bazaar, with multiple tiny "shops" under shelter selling everything from trinkets made in China and other faraway places to island made feather lei and lauhala hats. The market in Volcano does not have this sensibility, but instead features local artisans and food growers.

At Volcano Farmer's market, you can buy some of the most exotic foods the island has to offer, and some of the very best coffee. You can decide for yourself if Kau or Kona coffee is the best. "No ka oi" as it is said in Hawaiian. One very special artisan is Erik with his Volcano ash glazed pottery, and Theresa may be there with her toffee. Deb's produce always features specialty items from her amazing garden - things you will not see in the supermarket, let alone back on the mainland.

The aloha spirit is alive and well in this market, and the prices are very good. If you do your island shopping to bring gifts to your office mates back home or your friends who deserve a special treat, you will be pleased at the smallness of the dent in your purse.

Visited September 2012
9 Thank tikiznbamboo
Private
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 235 helpful votes
“The People are the Market's Highlight”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Hilo's Farmer Market is larger; however, Volcano's Farmer's Market radiates Aloha. I almost missed out. I was chatting with a local, Sunday morning, who was on her way to the market. An enthusiast for outdoor markets, I headed over. Although the market is small: around 15-20 vendors, there is an appealing array of local fruits, jams, delicious prepared foods, and crafts.

The highlight for me was the warmth. I was perusing the tables when this local calls aloud to me. He startled me. Apparently, I reminded him of a loved one. Even more akin, his sibling and I had the same name. He gave me a huge warm hug and started talking story with me. Big Island was the last stop in a six week solo trip through the South Pacific. I didn't realize how much I missed my own circle of family and friends until he enveloped me in such a warm greeting. That friendliness was throughout the entire market. I talked more story with two other vendors. When I finally departed, I felt like I had just had breakfast with family. I will never miss their farmer's market.

Visited June 2012