“Deliciously Charmed”
Review of Cafe' Ono

Cafe' Ono
Ranked #4 of 13 Restaurants in Volcano
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Café Ono is a vibrant, ecologically sound, dining experience in an old Hawaiian garden estate. We feature: •Hearty soups•Fresh organic salads•Savory sandwiches•High tea•Gourmet desserts•Locally grown coffee & teaCatering is available. We can also host your meetings and special events.Come by for a delicious meal or pick up a picnic lunch to go!Lunch 11:00 am–3:00 pmCoffee · Tea · Desserts 10:00 am–4:00 pm
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Cafe Ono charmed us with its artistic ambiance, tasty meal, colorful appetizing presentation and the fun of shopping for artistic gifts in the gallery. We walked from our
B & B to the cafe and enjoyed the upcountry weather and relaxed rural village atmosphere. We live in the Volcano Community and were reminded of why we live here. We were glad to make time from our busy work life to enjoy the unique creativity of Cafe Ono at Ira Ono's Volcano Gardens Arts Gallery. We definitely want to do this more often!

Reviewed September 25, 2010

I ate here because of the tripadvisor reviews and they were right! I worried about a long wait because the other Volcano restaurants I passed seemed mobbed with crowded parking lots of people shoving past each other.

Then I came to Cafe Ono, so beautiful, so peaceful. Walking through the garden I wondered what I was in for. I was quickly seated in a small but cheery dining room next to the gallery rooms. The menu is simple and is mainly combinations of salads, soups, and sandwiches which vary from day to day. There are other items like vegi lasagna or quiche.

I started with some iced tea that was out of this world! Reddish in color, it was listed as a combination of different teas and had me sipping in bliss waiting for my food. This was accented by the smell of flowers in the garden through the open window.

I had the salad + soup + sandwich. The salad was greens + olives + cherry tomatoes with a wonderful spiced house dressing. Soup was "moonlight" seaweed and mushroom which was hot, flavorful, and every ingredient a joy to consume. The sandwich was an open face artichoke, hummus, and pesto that was warm with a great texture, taste, and was very satisfying.

All of this filled me up, but I could not resist a bowl of home made ice cream using mint fresh from the garden and covered with crumbled walnut brownie. Orgasmic!

I ended up with an incredible meal in a relaxed environment that will be a highlight to my vacation. I was told they have tables they can setup outside and cook for large groups with advanced notice. Even though it was not crowded when I was there at 1:30PM on a weekday, they said it can get busy.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

Cafe Ono, the restaurant tucked inside the Volcano Garden Arts complex, is the lunch place I wish I had around the corner from me in L.A. The food is immensely fresh & beyond delicious -- flavorful soups (not overly salted, unlike so many commercial ones), lofty whole-grain bread, nice simple salad, delicate quiche. There's not a big menu choice, but enough to have interesting options, & the portion was larger than I could possibly finish. There are also tempting baked goods wrapped to go. The setting is soothing without being somnambulent: an airy space with a view of a nice, open yard, Asian pavilion & Ernest the goat grazing in the distance. You enter through owner Ira Ono's collection of bonsai, Buddhas and sculptures scattered in the semi-rainforest, then the gallery with gentle Hawaiian music & thoughtfully arranged art. If Cafe Ono were in my neighborhood, I'd be there 3 times a week -- not least because all the food is vegetarian, a nice bonus for the non-carnivores among us.

Reviewed September 22, 2010

Had lunch at Cafe Ono during a group tour to Volcano Nat'l Park...it was great! Ira Ono instantly made us feel welcome and the vegetarian lunch was absolutely delicious!! The art gallery featuring Mr Ono's and other local artist work was really fun to browse. We were encouraged to wander his gardens which I found inspiring. If you go, don't miss seeing the meditation "tree room"--very unique and special.

Reviewed September 13, 2010

Fresh ingredients, home made, attention to detail in every way. The only restaurant to live up to "we have the best lasagna" that I have had the pleasure to eat in. I live in Kamuela, I visit friends in Volcano when ever possible, not stopping in at Ira Ono's restaurant, art & yard art gallery, is simply not an option. Always my first stop on the artist open gallery walk the weekend after Thanksgiving. They also offer catering.

Mahalo to Ira & his staff,