“Volcano Surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cafe' Ono
Ranked #4 of 14 Restaurants in Volcano
Cuisines: Cafe, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Café Ono is a vibrant, ecologically sound, dining experience in an old Hawaiian garden estate. We feature: •Hearty soups•Fresh organic salads•Savory sandwiches•High tea•Gourmet desserts•Locally grown coffee & teaCatering is available. We can also host your meetings and special events.Come by for a delicious meal or pick up a picnic lunch to go!Lunch 11:00 am–3:00 pmCoffee · Tea · Desserts 10:00 am–4:00 pm
“Volcano Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

The Best!! My husband and I found Cafe Ono by surprise and we are so grateful that we did. The food was absolutely delicious! Fawnna helped us as to what to select and she did not stir us wrong with the panini sandwich, flavored tea and homemade desserts. Do yourself a favor and experience a wonderful meal and meet the nice wait staff like Fawnna !

Fairbanks, Alaska
“Delightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

We met a local friend there for lunch and toured the gardens. Both were wonderful. We had the lasagne, which was very good as were the salads. (My husband is not a fan of olives so could have done with less of those, but I loved it.) We were privileged to meet the owner/artist Ira Ono and he was very gracious and even remembered us when we returned a few days later. Many beautiful works of art in the gallery; his and many other local artists. I did invest in one small "moonbow," a pottery mask made by Ira Ono. We viewed the super moon while visiting there so seemed like a wonderful momento as well as a lovely piece of art. And very reasonably priced, I might add. They wrapped it carefully and shipped it home for us, and only charged for the actual cost of shipping. It was here to greet us when we returned home. A definite "must see" when you go to Volcano.

Visited August 2014
“This place needs more staff! ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

First - we never got to try the food hence the 'average' rating and I only write this in support of the staff who work there, and to suggest if you want to try this place then either go really early or don't go for Sunday lunch
Second - Sunday lunch time must be popular so why only have one front of house staff member
Third - the menu looked great but if you get told after 20 mins waiting to just ask if you could have a table for lunch (it was 1:15 pm on Sunday 17 august and there were 2 tables free inside) that 'you can take a seat but there are 4 tables that haven't got their drinks yet and are waiting to order so it could be a while' you cut your losses (like the 6 people behind us did and another 3 who were already sitting down but waiting to order).
Finally - the lady who was selling stuff in the shop in the gallery responded to some feedback from those leaving that maybe they needed more staff with the really useful - 'you should have raised your concerns with the staff if you were unhappy with the delay!'

“All around wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

This was my first visit to Cafe Ono but it certainly won't be my last. I am not a vegetarian. Although I had heard rave reviews of the cafe, I was a little skeptical. I was completely surprised and pleased by the beautiful, flavorful food! I had the spinach quiche, divine! My daughters had the artichoke and the egg salad sandwiches, which were also exquisite. The curry soup was spectacular! Very nice portions, great coffee. I was so sad to find that the macaroons were sold out. Something to look forward to next time! Not only was the food delicious, our server, Fawna, was so sweet. But the cafe was not the only surprise. The gallery and gift shop offers beautiful and diverse selections of artwork, textiles, pottery, jewelry and every kind of delight. Mr. Ono was on hand and utterly charming. I can't wait to go back again.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Ono in Hawaiian Means Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

We loved the ambiance and the food but the service was a little slow. They were very busy and had a new staff person. She was charming, though!
The best vegetarian food - most flavorful and original - ever!

Visited June 2014