“Hundreds of orchids”

$99.00*
Volcanoes National Park Adventure Tour from Hilo
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Volcano
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We didn't take the tour but wish we had. Need to book in advance. Try to time your visit so it's not when a bus is there!

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We already have seen many orchid in our life and did not expect so much. But what a surprise: so many different types of orchids. If you visit the Volcanoes National Park and you like flowers, it is a must to stop there. It is just few kilometers before the national park, on the left when coming from Hilo.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

There are so many variety of orchids here, even one with chocolate smell. Many of the orchids here have very large flowers. If they organized the flowers better, it can be an attraction too. The gift shop is also well stocked. Nice place to visit.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

How do I start this review ? OMG !!! Akatsuka Orchid Garden may be the most beautiful place on the beautiful big island of Hawaii. Believe me, flowers do not normally evoke an emotional response from me. But the variety and shear beauty of the orchids inside this facility are beyond description. My wife and I were vacationing in Kailua-Kona to celebrate her birthday. She asked if I would take her to the botanical gardens that were located above Hilo. Despite that being a more than 3 hour drive, I agreed and was happy to take her. After more than 2 hours, passing through the Volcanoes National Park and in the city of Volcano, we passed the Akatsuka Orchid Garden. Strangely enough, we did not notice the place when we were on a tour of the entire island two days earlier. We decided to stop and take a look on our way to the botanical gardens. As soon as we parked, we began to marvel at the beauty of the flowers OUTSIDE in the parking lot. However, that was nothing compared to what we saw once we entered the building. Orchids of different shapes, shades and colors were all over. Plants were available for sale in different price ranges (I saw a postcard that showed a rare orchid that they grow and costs $20,000!!!). And, for those who wish to buy from there or order online, the orchids are already FDA approved to ship to the mainland of the US. As I wrote above, I like flowers but are not consumed with them. However, I was so awestruck by what I saw I must have taken 50 photos of the orchids to take home and share. There is no charge to go in; they do not try to sell you anything. Be sure to visit the Orchid Garden. It is SO worth the trip !!

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

If you love flowers then you should definitely check this out. There are so many different types of flowers and they make for some great photo opportunities. However the most beautiful flowers on display are the orchids. You will be amazed by the picturesque beauty of this place.