“A great hostel!”
Review of Holo Holo Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Volcano
Holo Holo Inn
Kentucky
“A great hostel!”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I stayed here for nearly three weeks with a group of 15 students. As an older member of the group, I had a private single room, while the students had shared rooms (4-6 per room). My room was excellent, with a nice ensuite bath, attractive wood paneling, two nightstands, and a small table and chair. This was pretty deluxe compared to other hostels that I have stayed in. Clean towels were provided daily and sheets weekly;soap, shampoo, and a hair dryer were also provided. There is a comfortable lounge area with several sofas, a television, and an assortment of books. The kitchen has a stove, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffeepot, rice cookers, and a large assortment of cookware and dishes. With a large group staying there for a relatively long time and keeping to the same schedule, the refrigerator was very crowded and there was congestion in trying to use the stove; under normal conditions, I suspect that this would not be a problem. Also, space for storage of nonrefrigerated food would have been nice. Laundry facilities are available and cost less than the laundromat in town. The owners are friendly and kind, but unobtrusive. Their two young daughters have the run of the place and are fun to be around, as is their friendly cat. I almost felt like family with them, as the little girls would wave to me when I saw them at the weekly farmers' market. Note that, as in many guesthouses and homes in Hawaii, shoes are not worn indoors here. The only caution I would give is that a rooster crows early in the morning every day. If you are traveling on a budget and want to be close to the national park, this is an excellent place to stay. I recommend it very highly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KYProf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wisconsin
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at the Holo Holo Inn. There weren't many guests the night my friend and I were there. We booked two beds in a dorm room, and there were two other women in our shared room. The shared bathrooms were really nice, and there was a nice quiet lounge room upstairs above the entry way that I loved. The kitchen was big and had a computer for emailing, etc. I had to park in the lot of the building next to the Holo Holo, but it was a ten second walk to the hostel. It just could have used better lighting (or carry a headlamp on you like I did). I would definitely return to the Holo Holo!

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank RunsAmok
Montreal
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My cousin and I booked two nights at the Holo Holo Inn in June 2011. Our main wish was to stay close to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and the Inn certainly WAS close (only a few minute drive). The Website described the Inn as a Hostel/Budget Inn, but we thought it was so much more than that. We arrived in the evening and were greeted by the owner and one of his lovely daughters. He gave us a quick tour of the common rooms, explained how everything worked and showed us our room. We payed a $10 deposit to have our own key, but we soon saw that it was not all necessary. The area seems very safe, and all of the guests were families, couples or excited hikers like us! We had a comfortable and convenient private room with private bathroom, and it was much more clean than some B&Bs we stayed at elsewhere on the island..! There are two general stores close by where its possible to buy food, so we were happy to be able to cook a little and take a break from restaurant food (especially since we were disappointed by all of the restaurants we tried in that area). I would go back anytime!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank bibistylee
montreal
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Great hostel in great location, minutes away from Volcano National Park. They have free internet and full kitchen. There are different types of rooms to accommodate everyone (ex: dorms, private rooms with or without private bathroom). The host family is very nice and welcoming and their 2 little girls are super cute.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 20, 2011

A hidden gem in the Volcanoes Village. Very comfortable place cozy beds, super clean bathrooms. Some of the rooms feel like a library with the walls full of books, gives a charm to the place. They have their own laundry room and Kitchen, it had 3 rice cookers !! My wife and I loved the place. Just note that they accept only cash or cheque. The owner and his wife are very nice and helpful. The lockout time of 11 to 4 should not be a concern if you plan to spend the day in the national park or doing daytime activities. We would highly recommended this place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sautya82
Paris, France
Reviewed December 10, 2010

We spent 3 nights over there, and we really liked this place.

It's not an hotel, so don't expect high-standard services - but hosts are really kind. We went there for Thanksgiving dinner and they just invited all their guests to share this meal with them, their family and friends. Really nice experience, and so kind from them!

Otherwise, this hostel is located 2 min drive from the Volcano National Park and that's really nice.
There is a free internet in the kitchen.

We had private room with private bath and, for our personal comfort, we appreciate that. This room looked like quite recent and very clean.

Only thing : as the hosts live there, they asked their guests to live the house between 11 am and 4 PM...but don't worry : there is so much things to see in the park and other areas, that you'll be always out!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed December 3, 2010

One of the BEST hostels I've ever stayed in! Nice staff - don't be put off if they don't reply your e-mail, they're really nice, just call, their English is a bit poor, so don't speak too fast! (They're a wonderful Japanese family) Once you get there, it's shoes off, Japanese style. So it's clean on the inside, no matter how muddy your shoes are. And unless you've just been sitting in your car all day, they will be! Beds are nice, showers are wonderfully clean and the kitchen is a dream: Nothing is missing. It's in the middle of the residential area of Volcano, and you can hear the rain fall at night in the canopy of trees... Wonderful sleep!!!
And don't miss the Kilauea Caldera at night! It's just 10 min. driving away!
And free internet is also available! GREAT!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Chalet Kilauea
Aloha Junction Bed and Breakfast
Hale Ohia Cottages
Hale Ohia Cottages
#3 of 19 in Volcano

Been to Holo Holo Inn? Share your experiences!