“Great Stay at B&B”

Ranked #16 of 31 Volcano B&B and Inns
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Great Stay at B&B”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My sister and I only stayed one night at this B&B but it was very nice. The best two bed B&B room we've had in a long time as the room was huge and we each had a queen size bed. Location was ideal after spending the day and a portion of the night at the Volcano National Park. Breakfast was a nice continental breakfast including some local fruits that we don't get back home in Canada. Kudos go out to our host Drew who gave us the best suggestions on what to do, where to go once we left Volcano heading towards Kona. All of his suggestions were spot on: Ka'u Coffee farm (much better than a large farm and Lisa and Jimmy were so welcoming), the black sand beach and the path behind the driving range (I found one of the green shells), South Point road (some crazy guy jumped into the blow hole), the bakery and more. Thanks to Drew for making this a great day on our Hawaiian vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay right at the door of the volcano natural park. It is easy to access the park only 1 mile away. You get a week long pass for ten dollars and can come and go whenever u want. The inn staff ( husband and wife) are very helpful. They provide glad lights and umbrellas. Breakfast is great and all home cooked. Coffee is great. Rooms spacious. They could put up a bigger sign board on the main road as we missed the inn on our first pass. But all in all a great find.

• Stayed December 2012
Iowa
Reviewed January 4, 2013

You can't go wrong staying at this B&B. Drew and Nice are a delight to be around and they know where all the of the "off beaten path" places are to go. The atmosphere is relaxing and the Almond Cake in the morning just starts the day off right. I will definatly go back to this B&B and stay their for the entire time on the Island. Close to the Volcano NP and the black sand beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Linkoping, Sweden
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I just stayed at this B&B. When arriving I had forgotten to sync my google maps so I had to trust Tripadvisors, which is seldom a good idea. The place was a couple of miles away from where Tripadvisor suggested on the other side of the new Volcano road (I have sent an update).

Anyway, once finding it I came to the most peaceful place I've been to in a long time. The guy running the place, Drew (I think I officially suck at names) was very welcoming. They do not serve that much for breakfast, but what they serve is excellent. Fresh papaya and bananas from the farmers market and a "Scandinavian style" cake almond cake baked by Drew was what I got. Coming from Sweden I can tell you that the cake, called "sockerkaka" (sugar cake) in Swedish, is definitely the best "sockerkaka" I've ever had (sorry mum).

Volcano forest inn is located within walking distance from all shops and restaurants in Volcano (the place is small though so don't expect to find a huge selection). The national park is just a couple of miles away, so if you plan to hike in the park area, you can actually start your hike from the B&B. The national park, chain of craters road, Hilo, and Kona are all within driving distance (even though Kona is a little bit on the far side), so Volcano is a great starting point for exploring big parts of the Big Island.

Finally, I saw someone complaining about the place being unlocked. I can understand that fear, but I think this actually adds to the feeling of peacefulness. Most people will be getting there by car anyway, so if you do feel uncomfortable you can just leave your valuables in the car.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Lake Bluff, Il.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

If you don't spend a few nights in or near Volcano, with access to Volcano NP, Hilo, and the southern beaches, then you're missing a big hunk of the Big Island. Volcano Forest Inn is a GREAT choice for lodging near Volcano NP -- a relatively new construction with only 4 rooms -- but here's the kicker: 2 of those 4 rooms each have 2 generously sized beds! So (inkeepers take note) since not everybody who travels together wants to sleep together, this is the ONLY choice to satisfy that crowd. There is a central hospitality area with a kitchen, stronger wi-fi, dining room type seating, etc., where breakfast (Continental with fresh fruit and pastries) is set out. The bathrooms are fresh and new, and there are auxiliary heaters in the bedrooms to keep the evening mountain chill at bay. The surrounding flora (think giant tree ferns) will have you thinking you're on the set of Jurassic Park. And the welcoming, voluble hosts provided us with some of our very best touring and dining tips (Hilo Bay Cafe in a strip mall in Hilo). Even for those of us who tend to be wary of potentially cloying B&Bs, this choice is a genuine good-value winner!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Volcano Forest Inn is a great base for exploring the Big Island. Situated literally on the verge of Volcano National Park, surrounded by the rain forest and half an hour drive from the sea turtles at Punalu'u Black Sand Beach, this is right in the center of all the sights. We stayed 5 nights and would have loved to stay 5 more. The farmers' market in Hilo, within half an hours drive from the Inn, is most charming and exotic. You should try the sticky rice and mashed banana wrapped and steamed in a banana leaf. You will also find papayas like you have never tasted before. Our hosts at the Inn Drew and Neecee, also recommended the Shaka Bar, the southernmost bar in the US, a great place for breakfast (try the Portuguese sausage) and local dishes such as the laulau. We also recommend the drive all the way up to the observatory on the Mauna Kea. Volcano Forest Inn was the perfect starting point for all the day trips we did. The rooms are spacious, clean and peaceful with an outdoor patio. Warm coffee and home baked cake in the morning and lots of good advice from Drew and Neecee on what to see and where to go for a meal. Did we mention the free internet? Thanks for a great time! We will surely be back!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank inge b
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My first visit to Hawaii~WOW! The Volcano Forest Inn is a beautiful refuge in the rainforest. My hosts, Drew and Nice were friendly, helpful and down to earth! The inn is extremely well-kept, clean and spacious. The birds singing in the morning were so refreshing to wake up to! I went up to see Kilauea at night and the bright orange glow was magnificent. My hosts recommended hikes, restaurants and special beaches that I would have missed if they had not taken the time to share! Thank you for a wonderful stay at your beautiful and peaceful inn. I will recommend Volcano Forest Inn to my co-workers and family! I’ll be back for sure!

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Michigander80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Chalet Kilauea
#13 of 31 in Volcano
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
#1 of 19 in Volcano

Been to Volcano Forest Inn? Share your experiences!