“Absolutely Fantastic!”

Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Papaikou
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden is a 501(c)(3) Scientific and Educational non-profit, whose mission is to serve as a nature preserve and sanctuary, a living seed bank, and a study center for trees and plants of the tropical world. The Garden is dedicated to the collection and display of the world's tropical plants,and to the education of both children and adults about the plight of the world's rainforests. At a time when rainforest plants are disappearing at an alarming rate, the Garden is working to preserve as many species as possible for the benefit of future generations.
Reviewed May 13, 2010

I never knew that the flowers on the ginger plant were so beautiful. There are so many beautiful tropical plants and flowers here. Definitely one of the high lights of our trip to the Big Island.

Reviewed April 23, 2010

Once went there on the spur of the moment but we would have missed a hightlight of our trip if we had not gone.

Leave plently of time as this is not a trip to be rushed.

1  Thank Iain Y
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We visited the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden in December 2009. What a beautiful spot in the world! The boardwalk is a bit steep, but the waterfalls, flowers, plants and views are stunning and well worth the effort.

We arrived just before 4 pm (the gardens close at 5 and they don't sell tickets after 4) and so we only had an hour to explore. Although we walked quickly and were still able to see everything in an hour, I'd recommend at least 90 minutes. What a treasure the Lutkenhouses have given us - don't miss it!

2  Thank TAmember123
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Don't miss this! I've been to other botanical gardens, but NOTHING prepared me for this!!! It's STUNNING! You wind through pathways and see some of the most rare and amazing plants and flowers, and the best waterfall ever - 3 tiered, then a lily pond, parrots, orchids, and the ocean!

3  Thank ladychow
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I'm so glad I didn't miss this place while visiting Hawai'i--it's one of the nicest botanical gardens I've ever seen. A wide variety of beautiful plants, easy-to-navigate trails, a dramatic ocean view (look for the blowhole in the rocks!), and a very pretty waterfall...I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this. Do bring bug repellent, and plan to spend a couple of hours. The scenic route you drive to get to the garden is also interesting.

3  Thank Squeakycats