“I Found My Heaven!”

Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Papaikou
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden is a 501(c)(3) Scientific and Educational non-profit, whose mission is to serve as a nature preserve and sanctuary, a living seed bank, and a study center for trees and plants of the tropical world. The Garden is dedicated to the collection and display of the world's tropical plants,and to the education of both children and adults about the plight of the world's rainforests. At a time when rainforest plants are disappearing at an alarming rate, the Garden is working to preserve as many species as possible for the benefit of future generations.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is the most amazing tropical garden ever! I have found my heaven! I spent over 3 hours here just wandering around in complete peace and didn't want to leave. This is my second time here and I just can't get enough of the plants, shoreline, and total peace and serenity of the gardens. Make sure you wear long sleeve pants and shirt if the mosquitoes like you like they like me.
This is a must see garden on the Big Island of Hawaii. If I lived on the Island I would beg to work there for free! Thank you Lutkenhouse family for creating such a wonderful place for all of us to enjoy! This visit we actually found the tree that was dedicated to my uncle Brett Weston. This is my heaven on earth!!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The only reason the I didn't give it the top rating is because of the entrance price ($15 each). My wife likes to go to botanical gardens anywhere we travel, and I wanted to get some pictures of tropical flowers, so we went. The parking lot was very full, but the park is so big that we were not around people much of the time. We went slow to let everyone ahead of us and it was like we were alone. The place was amazing and great care was taken to keep it that way. There was a wider array of flowers and plants then I will probably see in one place the rest of my life. I am still sorting through the pics from the trip, but this was a great place to go, and there were picnic tables there so when we were done we had lunch there before moving on.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is an easy ride right outside of Hilo. We chose this garden over the World Botanical Gardens because it looked like there was more focus on plants and nature rather than zip lines and segways. If you are taking small children they may have a tougher time walking back up the ramp from the ocean area. This is a true botanical garden, not an amusement park.
This place is amazing. Even the road to the entry way is beautiful. The garden consists of a pathway down to the ocean, so you are walking downhill for the first portion. The gift store provides a map when you purchase your addmission, $15. All of the plants are clearly marked, the waterfalls are beautiful. It is a very spiritual place, so peaceful and quiet. There is a Koi pond as well as a parrot enclosure with plenty of seating at both to stop and take a break. I reccommend some bug spray as it can get rather humid with all of the palms and mossy plants and this attracts mosquitos. There are plenty of orchids, both planted and growing off of other trees.
Give 2 hours to view everything, it is also a nice spot to have lunch. There are picnic tables located at the entry way. Bring your own lunch though, because they do not have refreshments there. This is a must do trip if you are in the Hilo area.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had low expectations of the gardens but decided to take a look since it is along a scenic route. The gardens are absolutely gorgeous, even for people, like us, who are not big gardeners. The layout is beautiful and is well marked. Great location for photographers. Absolutely worth a visit.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Hard to find & not very well advertised, I am so glad I found out about the garden before visiting the island. My wife & I made the trip from Kona & were blown away with the peace, serenity & beauty of this place. Just the view of the waterfall alone is worth the price of admission! I took more photo's here than anywhere else on the island & will highly recommend anyone visiting the Big Island must add this to their itinerary.