“Almost alien lava formations”

Lava Tree State Park
Ranked #5 of 25 things to do in Pahoa
Reviewed June 28, 2013

What a charming park! If you remember that these strange lava trees are what's left over of massive eruptions, you will stare at them in awe and bewilderment. And who knows, if you look carefully inside of them, you may find a kokee or two getting ready to fill the night with their loud frog song (I must admit it gets annoying at times ...). The park is easy to access, easy to visit and will delight old and young alike.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was a side trip for me, its free and thought it was pretty interesting. The road that it is on and also lovely to drive down. I don't know that I'd make a big deal to go out of my way to see it, but if you are in the area, I recommend it...

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were staying in the area and dropped in on the way to Hilo. It was early, about 7.30, so only a couple of locals and the gardener were around. It's a quick loop trail. Pretty and interesting but if you aren't staying locally or strapped for time I wouldn't go out of your way to see this. There's too many other great things to do.

1  Thank Su H
Reviewed May 26, 2013

There's about a one mile walking path (very easy) to see the molds left after lava has burned/kiled the trees.

1  Thank getherefromhere
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I loved the location, big beautiful trees surround interesting lava formation... The power of mother nature in full force!