“Better than any resort”

Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 18 Pahoa B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This bed and breakfast is wonderful. Petra is very welcoming, makes sure all your needs at the B&B are satisfied, and she provides very helpful tips on places to see. She suggested visiting the local community gathering every Friday, which was a treat for us. We had the exclusive chance to experience original Hawaii band singing and playing Hawaiian music. It was incredible and we are grateful that Petra recommended this for us (I forgot to mention this was all free).
One thing that I miss every night since we came back home is the song of the frogs, and the delicious breakfast every morning.
Thank you Petra, we will be sure to come back next time.

Room Tip: Chose the Garden suite it is very nice, it has separate kitchen, living room, bedroom, dining room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hale Moana was the last stop of our trip on Hawaii and it was definitely worth it. The breakfast is very delicious (fruits, homemade jam, scrambled eggs, pancakes… and Petra is also very helpful with any dietary needs or food allergies), the rooms are spacious and very clean, and the garden with its rambutan tree and pineapple plants is amazing… and in addition you will get a daily frog concert at night for free☺ The B&B is near the lava tree park in the middle of a jungle like neighborhood. It’s the perfect location for day trips to the Volcano National Park or Hilo (and in fact due to the island’s size to every location). On our first morning, we got a little introduction by Petra to the surrounding, what to see, where to eat, and were lent a very useful and detailed map of the aria. It is also possible to lent snorkel gear as well. The B&B is only a fifteen-minute ride away from Pahoa town, which has very good restaurants…
The tide pools on the eastern coast were one of the best snorkel places we have visited on Hawaii and not too crowded. Also the hot sea pool and the lava viewing area (Kalapana) are worth a visit. We only stayed for three nights. The next time we will definitely stay longer!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pualani Suite,... a smaller one but new and spacious enough for two.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Usually when you book a trip you're either trying to get away from it all or become immersed. Very rarely do these polar opposites every intact, much less co-mingle. Yet, at Hale Moana, that's preciously the case. Within my suite, I had the world to myself. I caught up on work, dealt with life's current situations and withdrew from the world. The kitchenette inside my suite and the incredible neighborhood farmers market on the weekend enabled my withdrawal into a retreat of solitude. Yet, outside my door was life and relationship. And when I chose to interact with it, there was a fresh, delicious breakfast in the morning and an opportunity to talk with the other guests. Petra generously provided information and brochures on countless nearby activities and destinations. The neighboring beaches are stunning, the lava fields incredible and even just remembering the food in the local restaurants makes my mouth water in delight. But mostly, it was the gardens on the property that called my name. Gorgeous and unique, I spent hours with the amazing varieties of Hawaii's unique flowers and fauna, capturing sights and smells, my camera clicking away but failing to capture the heady intoxication they brought to my senses. Alone, with people, or enveloped into nature, my time in Hale Moana brought my back home and reintroduced me to myself. And, isn't that what vacation is all about?

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Hale Moana for two nights as part of our honeymoon in May 2014. For my wife and I, this was our first stay at a bed and breakfast, so we didn’t know what to expect upon arriving.

Our plan on our honeymoon was that we flew into Hilo, spend two nights on the East side of the island and work our way over to Kona. We spent a full day at Volcano National Park and exploring the Puna region. This was a great place to come back and crash after a long day of hiking around the park.

The breakfast meals were great along with the conversation with Petra (the hostess). Petra was very knowledgeable of the island and gave us great advice on some things to check out.

The room itself was clean and had all the amities we needed. One thing to note is that our unit did not have A/C. It does get pretty warm and humid during the day but it does cool down at night so sleeping was not a problem. It also only rained during the night while we were there so although it does get pretty wet, it never affected our day time plans.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I needed a vacation. I needed something quiet, wet, Hawaiian. I landed at the Hale Moana quite by accident. My original B&B selection cancelled my reservation while I was on the plane flying in from the mainland! Funny how some accidents can turn out to be wonderful surprises. The grounds are huge (2 acres), green, full of birds (supplanted by coqui frogs at night), and even a local cat or two. The breakfasts were yummy, eggs, pancakes (German pancakes!) hot coffee, wonderful fresh fruits. Ample parking located just to the side of the property and easy to get to. The location is out in an area called Leilani Estates, just a few miles up the road from Pahoa proper. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the stay, the friendliness of the host, Petra, and just everything about this place. Her boy even helped me with my bags! I stayed here five nights, and thanks to Petra, found my way to the old Red Road the first day. What a find! If you're considering a stay in old Hawaii, I can't say enough wonderful things about Hale Moana. I stayed up in the Lanai Suite - overkill for me, a single traveller, but I'll take it. Allowed me plenty of room to stretch out, and even make my own coffee before the 8:30 breakfast. Fully stocked kitchen made in-room meals easy. Mahalo, Petra. Mahalo.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I had really high hopes when I booked this, but in the end I was a little disappointed with a few things. To start with, it is located a bit far from anything, tucked into the Southeast (Puna) corner of Hawaii. The closest town is Pahua (about 5 minutes away), which has a few restaurants, grocery stores and a gas station. Hilo is least 35-40 minutes away. It is convenient for visiting Volcano National Park, which is about 30 minutes away. A couple of issues: (1) I had limited cell coverage in/around the house area, which was a little frustrating when I wanted to get information on activities in the area, (2) if you are a light sleeper, be aware that there are large numbers of coqui frogs in this area and they can be really loud at night, (3) breakfast is only served at 8:30am, which can be a little late if you want to get an early start.

On the plus side, breakfast was delicious and wonderfully prepared. The host is also very friendly and very knowledgeable about all local activities. I stayed in the Makamae Studio, which is really only suitable for one person. I think two people will certainly feel crowded in this room and in the bathroom, which is really small (with the tiniest sink I've ever seen). Further, since it sits on the ground floor, you can easily hear other guests that are in the upstairs rooms. Parking is available a short distance from the main house, but note that the path over the lawn can be muddy if it rains. Overall, it is a nice place to stay with a great breakfast, but the limitations I've noted mean Hale Moana may not be suitable for everyone.

Pros: breakfast, great hospitality, secluded garden setting

Cons: distant location, frogs at night, cell coverage, breakfast timing

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank EisBaer
HaleMoana, Owner at Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear Reader and Visitor,

I appreciate the feedback from my guests greatly and am very thankful for the opportunity to respond to this review:

Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast offers 3 suites and one studio. The suites vary in size and all have kitchens and dining/living room/sitting area. All, including the studio have king size beds, flat screen TVs, private bathrooms and separate entrances. The Studio offers a coffee station and refrigerator with coffee/tea supplied in the room. It is a nicely appointed room, however smaller than the suites, which is also reflected in the rate. The rates for our accommodations range from $110 - $170 per night plus tax for double occupancy, which includes a full breakfast buffet, free WiFi, free laundry facilities, use of BBQ and all outdoor sitting areas, snorkels & masks, itinerary planning, discounts to local restaurants and many other amenities. Excellent cell phone coverage is provided through Verizon, however, a land line is available to our guests if needed as well. When you are traveling to the Big Island you will encounter spotty cell phone coverage in many areas depending on your carrier. Coqui frogs are a fact of life along the entire east side of the island - it is part of the tropical environment. Pahoa is not a metropolitan area, however, this area offers one of the most authentic and commercially undeveloped spots in all of Hawaii. Puna's beautiful coastline with great snorkeling in the Kapoho tidepools, swimming in the thermally heated hot ponds, pristine tropical lushness, black sand beaches, lava flows and much history are to be found just moments from here. The Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast is centrally located between Hilo and the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (30 minutes), the Puna coast is 10 minutes and Pahoa 5 minutes from here.

The guests in this review decided to reserve the Studio as the least expensive option. Other larger suites were available at the time they made their reservation. They enjoyed all the amenities, including taking advantage of the free laundry facility, etc.

The level of service here at Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast is excellent as is clearly documented in many of the comments and reviews, including many visitors who stayed in the Studio.

I am proud to provide great service to my guests and to share this wonderful place and the area around us: The beauty of the people, land, places, local culture and Aloha - that's what you will find here. Come and look at it yourself!

Much Aloha and many blessings,

Petra Wiesenbauer
Owner

Reviewed April 22, 2014

My friend and I chose hale moana because of the great tripadvisor reviews and because they had a kitchenette in the room.

Pahoa is the 'real' Hawaii, near the rainforest and our goal was the Maku'u farmers market and the Hilo farmers market. We thought we might want to cook something.

We found the accomodations modern, clean and spacious. the beds were excellent, the grounds immaculate and beautiful.

Petra, the owner, was very knowledgeable and helpful directing us to local attractions and sights that were exactly what we were looking for.

The breakfast each morning was delicious, local and plenty.

I look forward to my next trip to big island and will happily stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
20 mi away
#3 of 18 in Pahoa
Pele's Breath
Pele's Breath
#1 of 2 in Pahoa

Been to Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!