“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 17 Pahoa B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This B & B was excellent. The setting, room, service, and breakfasts were delicious. Petra obviously enjoys taking care of her guests with her attention to details and helpfulness. We would recommend this place and stay her again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I will admit this is my first time staying at a B&B. I chose to stay here because the general consensus seems to be that there are no nice hotels on the Hilo side of the island. Hale Moana was nice, but not quite as nice as I was expecting based on the reviews. The grounds are nice, but honestly I like my yard better (yes, I work very hard on my yard.) When we first arrived, I tried to look for signs to determine which door to enter through. I didn't see any evidence of which way to go, so I followed what seemed to be the main path, which led to the main house, which was the wrong answer. The hostess was nice about it, but I felt a little silly and wished we could have avoided the whole situation by the use of a strategically placed sign. The suite was fine, but I didn't know a couple of things that might have affected my decision - the second/other bedroom is down a step or two, and the ceiling is really sloped and it does affect your ability to stand up straight. My senior citizen mom (5'4") stayed in that room, but she was a bit concerned she was going to hit her head if she was on the "short" side of the room, and I was a bit concerned that she would miss a step should she leave her room to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Note that there is one bathroom, which is fine, but it's only accessible via the master bedroom. If the person in the second bedroom needs to use the bathroom, they need to go through the master bedroom-not ideal. Suite was comfortable and clean and breakfast was good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for four nights in the Lanai Suite at Hale Moana in March 2013, and warmly recommend this B&B. The house is located at the end of the road amid a huge and lush tropical garden. The Lanai Suite is very spacious and nicely furnished with a large sitting-room, main bedroom with ensuite bathroom and a small extra bedroom with a single bed, so it's very well suited to a family with one kid or three adults. Breakfast is served in a room full of orchids, and the food is delicious - there's always a main dish such as french toast, omelette or scrambled eggs & sausages, in addition to bread and jam and a huge platter of fresh tropical fruit. Especially the French Toast was delicious! Every morning during breakfast, Petra (the host) comes down to take some time to chat with every guest about their plans for the day. She has loads of advice to give about the area and will point you to the best places to go. We were also provided with a detailed driving map of the area which was very helpful! The B&B is very conveniently located about a 20-30 minute drive from Hilo, and provides easy access to attractions such as the Rainbow & Akaka Falls, the Kapoho Tide Pools, the lava flow in Puna and the Volcanoes National Park. We would definitely stay here again. Thank you Petra for the warm welcome!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I agree with the other reviews. Petra is charming and we found her staff to be very helpful as well. We went to see the Lava at 5 am. When we came back we were just drying off so it was terrific to have our breakfast waiting for us. If you like banana pancakes, island fruit and good coffee, then, this is for you.
When you make reservations be sure to make time to have dinner in Pahoa. The restaurants are going to be crowded, especially on the weekends, so make reservations. We really enjoyed the evening. The food was exceptional and so was the friendliness. The town of Pahoa is so comfortable, small, but worth the trip.
Petra will steer you in the right direction. We look forward to going back as soon as we can.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque
Reviewed March 30, 2013

A lovely place in a lovely location. Beautiful gardens and wonderful and ample breakfast. The owner is friendly and warm hearted. This is definitely the place to stay on the east side of the Big Island.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are good, depending on your requirements
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
kaneohe
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was a great place to stay if you hike out on the volcano. The owner is friendly, knowledgeable, makes a delicious breakfast, maintains a beutiful garden, and the Lanai suite was comfortable and clean. We could easily spend a few more days there

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed at Hale Moana Bed and Breakfast multiple times in the past few years. It served for me as this most special little sanctuary that I continued to look forward to returning to. The ever improving ambiance is filled with the Aloha spirit, beauty, practicality,thoughtfulness and peace that makes anyone's anticipated stay there, I think, most fulfilling. The mornings at Moana are priceless as you can stroll through the awakening gardens and catch a breeze of fresh brewing coffee and anticipate a lovely warm breakfast.. Petra is a truly amazing host who introduced me to many areas on the Big Island I have never known about, as well as cultural activities and events.Her love for the Island shines out in her efforts and that energy made me see the Island in a deeper light.
My stay on the Big Island just would not have been the same if I had not known or chosen Hale Moana Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Miriam M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Chalet Kilauea
The Ohia House
The Ohia House
#2 of 17 in Pahoa
The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls

Been to Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!