“Best B&B I Have Stayed At”

Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 18 Pahoa B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Garden Suite near the end of our honeymoon, and loved it - even more than the two resorts we stayed at earlier. When we arrived, Petra greeted us, gave us local restaurant recommendations, asked if we have any dietary restrictions, and walked us to our room.

The Room: The Garden Suite is amazing. We had a living room, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom, all of which was spotless and looked newly redone. The TV has dish service, and having a stovetop and microwave allowed us to save a lot of money on food. Petra also stocks the room with nearly every supply you may have forgotten.

The Bed: The mattress is a little on the firm size and you can choose from a couple of different pillows. I am used to a memory foam pillow and can't sleep well in hotels with really thick pillows, while my wife is the opposite. We both found pillows we liked and I slept like a rock - best rest of the 2.5 week trip. As I have seen in other reviews, the frog's are loud, but it's pretty much white noise and you can thank Walmart for bringing them to the island.

The Breakfast: My wife really wants your French Toast recipe. Breakfast places are pretty big in our area, and I grew up in a chef's house, but that was the best French Toast we have ever had. The breakfast has fruits from the property, juice, toast, cereal, coffee, and an entree. The three days we stayed at Hale Moana, the breakfast entrees were banana pancakes (fabulous), french toast (see above), and scrambled eggs with ham (good). Petra also gave us a book of the area and pointed us towards many sites to check out during our stay.

All in all, a fantastic stay and a phenomenal host. We would definitely stay at Hale Moana again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Had a great 2 night stay...very gracious and helpful host (Petra) with intimate knowledge of the attractions in the area (i.e., lava flow boat tours)...only 10 minutes to the boat launch lava tour which takes you to one of the most spectacular sights of nature that you'll ever experience...and delicious breakfasts, too...

Stan & Leburta

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Stan K
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hale Moana for two nights in the studio room. It's a little tight but has a wonderful King sized bed and we were out all day anyway and came back to sleep. Petra is very kind and attentive. She serves wonderful breakfasts with fresh fruit and she checked in with us armed with a book of maps of the area and some good suggestions. If we come back to Pahoa I would be happy to book with her again and encourage others to do so as well.
NOTE: Pahoa is home of Coqui frogs which chirp all night long so you will hear these. It didn't bother me or my husband but if you are a sensitive sleeper, you might consider this. Thanks Petra!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Our 2 night stay at Hale Moana was wonderful, the setting, our hosts and the accommodation were first class. It is a perfect stop to take in the best Hawaii's Volcano National Park has to offer.
Petra is a wealth of great information on things to do in the surrounding area. The breakfast was wonderful as many reviewers have mentioned.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My mother and I stayed in the Lanai Suite for 9 wonderful nights. I previously stayed in the Garden Suite by myself December 2011 and my mother, myself and my partner had stayed in the Lanai Suite about 5 years ago. It is always a treat to stay in the comfortable suites and walk in the beautiful gardens. And Mother is still talking about Petra's wonderful breakfasts with fresh fruit and a freslly cooked breakfast treat as well. And Petra always knows what is going on in the area and can direct you on how to get wherever you want to go. Thank you Petra for a wonderful stay at Hale Moana.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed in the Lanai Suite for two nights over the U.S. Thanksgiving Holiday. Perfect for a family of four or a couple who want some space and want to splurge. Spotlessly clean, tastefully appointed and extremely comfortable. The breakfast is as described by the other reviewers (i.e., delicious). You find yourself going to bed excited about the meal to come. Finally, Petra is a sweet and helpful host. Great value for the money. Can't imagine why you'd want to spend $300 night on a resort if this is available.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at the Hale Moana for 6 nights in November and were instantly made to feel so welcome in Petra's home. The rooms were comfortable and spacious, had everything you could possibly need and more importantly, we were given loads of information about where to go, what to see and what we shouldn't miss while staying in Pahoa. The town itself is an experience in it's own right especially for people watching and the various restaurants were all very good for somewhere of this size.
The garden at Hale Moana is huge and stunning with amazing orchids and tropical vegetation - exactly as we had imagined it. It was a wrench to leave as we felt so at home and had had such a relaxing time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Arnott's Lodge
The Ohia House
The Ohia House
#2 of 18 in Pahoa
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!