“Warm pond relaxing”

and up
Landscapes of Frozen Fire Adventure
Ranked #7 of 25 things to do in Pahoa
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The warm pond is a small lagoon that has the ocean end blocked by concrete, the wave action brings in new seawater and geothermal activity heats the water. It was a wonderful place to relax for an hour or two. There are showers to rinse off at and continue your day. Our kids had a wonderful time and wanted to go back again at the end of our trip.

1  Thank mike c
"comfortable temperature"
"spring fed"
"man made"

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at the Kalapanna end of the Rt 137 and one morning we decided to go try this tide pool. We arrived at there were a number of people but not too crowded. There were signs posted about the potential for bacteria and don't go in with open wounds etc. and my son was a little concerned. In reality most of the fresh water pools in Hawaii have the risk of bacteria. Even with this we went in because the pool is a mix of fresh and salt water. My wife and I went in and my kids went in but only stayed in for a little while. My wife and I stayed in for a while. The water level was high due to high tied and the waves coming in. I think it was better being fuller this could get a little cloudy in low water levels. So the water was cooler but you can feel spots where the fresh water coming in was warm. We live in New England so for us this is warm no matter what. This tide pool is actually a concrete lined with steps that lead you in. When we were there were town crews trimming the coconuts trees to make sure no coconuts or leaves fall on any one. We did talk to a couple of nice local residence and overall had a good time. The tides pools down the road a bit in Kaphoa are much bigger, nicer and would recommend spending some time there and then have a quick dip here.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Lovely warm water ocean pool under palms and trees with beautiful sparkling blue waves as a backdrop. This was a quiet and lovely spot. On some days you can buy fresh chilled coconuts, opened on the spot for drinking. Add a dash of lime! A mustn't miss on Big Island.

1  Thank Bruce H
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have been to Ahalanui several times! Except for a very feisty,fresh crab trying to crawl up the inside of my leg while sunbathing...Excellent! ;-)
Love the natural,local, rural "Ohana" feel to this pool ! Once visit I smelled such a sweet scent but could NOT locate ANY flowering vegatation nearby? My skin carried the perfume for hours.Still a mystery!!
....It is NOT your hotel pool, no drink service,whirlpools,sauna...just a lovely ,shady piece of OLD Hawa'ii! Everyone welcoming,friendly...safe! As I often travel alone I love places where I feel like a Kama'aina..(Local)! Will return in Sept 2013! Save me a spot!!!