“Food- no, drinks- YES!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We knew we wanted to stop at Luquin's for one of their "famous" margaritas, but we were unsure about whether we would dine here. It was a Friday night-- great local nightlife in little Pahoa-- and Luquin's was one crowded spot!
The place is unusual-- it sprawls into several rooms. There are two bars. The one near the main street entrance is larger and was very crowded (with some seriously strange folks). It was very open here, with many dining tables & booths in the same room. There is another large section for dining adjacent to the main bar, where there is a hostess stand. From there, if you work your way to the back, you will find a smaller, quieter bar that has a side entrance. Here, we ordered our drinks and had a great bartender. She suggested we try the Li Hing Mui Margarita; the glass is rimmed with a bright red powder made from plum skin pickled with coloring and sweetener. It was delicious.
After winding through the restaurant and getting a feel of the place, we decided that Luquin's is not for dining-- the tables were dirty and the place seemed unkempt. So we headed across the street after our amazing drinks, where there are some other incredible dining options.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The food is usually consistent and good. Even better on days that I'm craving it. I wish I could say the same about their margaritas. :-( But the milkshakes, the strawberry milkshakes..... Well, it's the best on this side of the island, I think.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

If you're near Pahoa and have a hankering for Mexican food, your only choice is Luquin's. The food is pretty standard for a Mexican restaurant in most of the US that was never part of Mexico, which means that you can dine on tacos, burritos or enchiladas filled with the standard array of meats or a veggie option. I like the beef versions. However, don't expect white table cloth service. In fact, don't even expect service up to the standards of your corner diner.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is a large Mexican joint thats been a staple in Pahoa for many years. The place is a little run down and hot inside. Thge service is always friendly and the bartender is awesome. But the food is bland and taste like its straight out of a can but it not its all prepared fresh I couldnt understand why there is not much flavor. The margaritas are awesome and there is a wide selection of beer on tap numerous TV's. I like the seating with a window to the main drag of downtown Pahoa the best...dinner and a show never a dull moment in Pahoa town. Overall, its worth trying at least once.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We love their fresh chips & salsa - delicious! We live close to downtown Hilo so it's a 30 mile drive out to Pahoa. Since gas prices are still high we don't get out there as much as in years' past. They have good plates of carnitas, enchilladas, chilli rellenos, nachos, tacquitos, etc. - you get the picture.

The atmosphere is something to be desired. It has old lineoleum/wood floors, tinged walls, vintage (that's a nice word) 60's laminated tables & some (unfortunately) metal folding chairs that I just hate. The bar looks like its got their regulars coming in daily but it has that seedy feel. (I wouldn't seat the kids around the bar area.)

The food taste & quality has gone down a bit since 8 years ago but thankfully it's still an ok place to get a mexican meal. There's only one other I'd recommend on this island, and its in Hilo.