“Fabulous experience”
Review of David Ewing Lava Walking Tours - CLOSED

David Ewing Lava Walking Tours
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We did the walk in 2013 May (late review) and this is one of the most spectacular experiences I have had - You get to see the island expand right in front of your eyes and see how molten lava forms rock. We got to walk on rock that was just hardened, so you can feel the heat. You need to be reasonably fit to do this walk. But it's definitely worth it. We had to leave before it got dark since it started drizzling (and you are at a risk of acid rain, due to the sulphur) but if you can stay till dark, you can see the glow when it gets dark.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

This review is a little late, my wife and I did the hike with David Ewing on July 21, 2013. We met David at his house along with other people who were going on the hike. David is very friendly and knows everything about Kilauea Volcano. I teach Earth Science in Idaho and learned some new things myself. The hike was about 3 miles to the flow going into the ocean. We had a few people in our group who were not in top shape, therefore, we stopped a bit more so they could catch up and rest. No big deal though. We made it to the flow going into the ocean, the sun was setting, and it was the most incredible thing I have ever seen in my life. Stayed for about an hour taking the view in and lots of pictures, then a guide from another tour group came along and said there was a surface flow not far away and in hiking distance. After eating a delicious Cliff Bar thanks to David (he brings a bunch), we were ready to move! I have to say, I thought the flow going into the ocean was the best thing I'd ever seen. But walking right up to this surface flow was the most awesome site ever! Seriously, who can say they have witnessed the primordial power and birth of new land, and poked a stick in molten lava? After spending about another hour there, it was time to hike back. Walked through a very comfortable light rain and warm breeze off the ocean. Felt wonderful! Had to stop often because of the few in our group who had to rest. I didn't care, my night and life was already complete. Once we got back to David's house it was time to head back to Kona. It was pretty late and we drove in a pretty good rain storm. Probably should have stayed in Hilo that night. Be sure to bring good hiking shoes, I wore some all terrain running shoes and they were fine. Also, I wore shorts because that is what I'm used to. But if you fall, volcanic rock is like glass so pants are probably the best option for most. The lava rock can be slick when wet. You will also feel the result of your hike the next day, we relaxed at the beach. If you are normally physically active, this will be easy for you. If you are a couch potato, you will be the one who slows everyone else down. Trust me. If you can't walk several miles, then don't do this. I can't thank David Ewing enough. For me, this was my favorite thing that I did in Hawaii. I will be back!

2  Thank Ridge
Reviewed December 13, 2013

A friend and I first went on this hike with Dave in August of 2012, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
There was only a surface flow at that time. We hiked in the late afternoon to the flow, and stayed at least an hour and half after dusk. This was my first encounter with the lava. Dave is very informative, and makes sure you get there and back safely. The experience was so awesome, as we got to be up close to the lava, and poke it with a stick, walk on freshly cooled lava. ( I have the pictures to prove it.) Since we stayed at the lava flow so long, our faces got super red, and felt like our eyebrows were going to burn off, lolIt was so much fun and made us Lava addicts. We started going once a month hiking to the flow when it started flowing into the ocean. I highly recommend this hike for the adventurous people. Just make sure to bring a rain pancho water and snacks. It often rains at night in the lava field as you are hiking back with flashlights.

2  Thank David N
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Many adventure vendors on the internet give you the impression lava is still flowing into the ocean.... October 2013... David will give it to you straight because he lives within about 100 feet of the most recent flow in this area. He will give you an in depth story about the last 3000 years of lava flowing while walking across about 1/2 mile from his house to the ocean. We heard an incredible story of historic and recent lava flows while walking across an infinite number of lava formations. The most recent flow created many acres of "new" land, destroyed many acres of forest and just flowed in wild unpredictable directions causing many of the local residents, much anticipation about the future of the places they call(ed) home. You will also see unique "post holes" where the lava surrounded medium to large trees, burning their bases leaving these incredible holes and impressions in the lava..... email David and plan to hear many incredible stories.
Key words: Lava Hikes Lava flows Lava tours