“Waterfalls, Whales, and the Spirit of Aloha”

Kalapana Cultural Tours
Ranked #1 of 14 Tours in Pahoa
More attraction details
Owner description: LAVA Tours: Boat | Bike | Hike Big Island, Hawaii Native Kalapana Hawaiian Owned & Operated See lava with someone whose house is buried in it! Lava Tour Schedule 2016 Boat: 5:00am, 8:00am, 2:30pm, 5:00pm, 8:00pm Bike / Hike: 5:00am, 8:00am, 3:30pm, 5:00pm Private Tour/Boat Charter: anytime upon request
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed January 11, 2014

KCT took us on a magical boat tour up the Hamakua Coast. It was like going back in time: seeing waterfalls set deep in the jungled cliff-sides, old sugar cane mills, hearing stories of the history and culture of the coastline, and all the while seeing whales and dolphins playing in the surf. The guides were so competent on the water, knowledgeable about the Island, and just so kind and welcoming. We all felt so safe, yet it was still totally exciting! We kind of felt like we got to become a part of the mystery and majesty of this incredible paradise. We were able to take our cameras and took tons of pictures. And! We got to jump out and swim, although the guides said they only let people when the surf is safe. It was an unforgettable experience, totally worth the money, a once in a lifetime look into Hawaii. Loved it! Thank you!!

Kalapana_CT, Owner at Kalapana Cultural Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

I am glad to hear your trip was safe, "took you back in time," and the value was well worth the cost. We strive for a unique experience that is impossible to get without our guides and tour program. Aloha!

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"bike lock"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Easy but hot hike over recent lava fields. Guide was great. Got within a few feet of the lava! One of best excursions I've ever done. Seeing lava flow into the ocean was awesome.

1  Thank thegdr

Mahalo for joining us to visit hot lava and we are happy to hear that it was one of the best trips ever! Aloha!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Want an experience that only a few can say they've done on their trip to Hawaii? Then do the Kalapana-Cultural Tours Boat Tour. Seriously an experience of a lifetime. You leave Hilo bay and boat into history, culture, and beauty. See old sugar mills, drastic cliff lines, and majestic waterfalls.

As soon as we left the bay we saw whales, dolphins, and many seabirds. And as we were coming back in, the summit of Mauna Kea peaked through the clouds, giving us a real treat.

Furthermore, Andrew and Ikaika were amazing tour guides, filled with so much local knowledge of the area. They provided very interesting history of the sugar mills, gulches, and much more.

I wish we could have spent all day on the water, exploring, and swimming under waterfalls. As I stepped back on land, I realized how lucky I was to find this tour. I will recommend this to anyone and everyone! Mahalo KCT!

Mahalo for joining us! Yes, the scenery speaks for itself, but our guides provide that native hawaiian cultural knowledge that we believe is priceless! Glad you had a great boat ride in Hilo!

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We chose an aggressive tour because the lava was further out in the field.
It was a long and challenging hike but the guides were wonderful and had lots of stories to share on the way out. Check the hike time before you go - also wear the right gear. You can get hurt doing this if you aren't very balanced because of the terrain. The experience was INCREDIBLE. Like the title says, life changing. Highly Recommended.

1  Thank Beth K
Kalapana_CT, Owner at Kalapana Cultural Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Mahalo for joining us back in September, Beth! Glad our guide, Andrew, gave you a safe and enlightening experience. The lava has changed our life also, as your guide shared with you on your hike. You are very lucky for joining us when you did actually because the lava has since flown into a zone inaccessible and illegal to hike to -- but we expect it back here soon. Many mahalos for the review - we truly appreciate it!
Aloha,
Ikaika

See more reviews
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I strongly recommend this boat tour!! It was more then what I expected. I mainly planned to see Lava but KCT kindly informed me that the flow has switched to an area that is dangerous and illegal to enter. They offered me a waterfall, dolphin, whale watch tour and I was more then excited to join in. I got to see old sugar mill plantations, many hidden waterfalls, spinner dolphins and amazing sea cliffs. My excitement level was high, but right when I thought the tour was ending the captain announced that we were able to jump into the water and swim up to a hidden waterfall. It was so very exciting when the captain took us to an ,what seemed to be secret, area that was secluded. We were able to jump into the water and swim right up to the waterfall and stand under it. It was amazing! Defiantly made my whole stay! Thank you Kalapana Cultural Tours!! Will do this again and again.

Mahalo to you and your husband for joining KCT again and giving our Boat Whale/Waterfall Tour a go this time! Yes, since the lava is in an inaccessible and illegal area at this time, we still strive to provide "off the beaten path" adventures exploring areas that visitors can not reach without a guide, such as these hidden waterfalls only accessible by boat. Glad you had fun and see you again when you folks return next time!