“It was worth it before we even got to the lava!”

Lava Ocean Tours Inc
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Hot Lava Hike to See Lava Volcano Tour
Ranked #2 of 13 Tours in Pahoa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Lava Ocean Tours is your exclusive way Explore the Hilo side of Big Island. View volcanic activity on our boat & hikes to see the LAVA. Our state of the art vessels are modern aluminum catamarans including the "Lavaone" 49 passenger 40x14 catamaran powered by 4 Honda 250hp motors. Whether lava is flowing on the land or sea we will get you to the closet viewing point safely possible. We also offer the Ultimate Boat Waterfall Tours departing Hilo to see over 30+ boat only waterfalls and dolphins in uncrowded waters. During Hawaii Whale Season (Dec-Apr) enjoy whale watching in Hilo Bay and surrounding waters on an intimate ocean cruise. Our tours include Lava Boat Tours, Guided Lava Hikes, Volcano Boat Tours, Waterfall & Dolphin Tours, Charter Fishing, Hilo Whale Watching and Private Tours.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed November 8, 2010

The boat ride is incredible just getting there. Not for the faint of heart! The viewing is spectacular and much safer than the hiker who walked up to the edge of the lava bench to get a look. When the lava does not have any surface flows, and just a point of ocean entry, it is the only way to see the real deal.

On the way back, saw a pod of spinner dolphins, so a welcome bonus. This trip makes the early departure worth it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"within feet"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed October 28, 2010

Okay- I admit I balked when I heard the price! And I tried to talk my husband out of doing this but I must say, it was totally worth the price! We did the sunset tour, which was a pretty spectacular show. I also admit I am not a fan of boats and the idea of going out in a boat on the rugged coast line where lava is flowing into the ocean filled me with apprehension..okay I'll be honest, it was more like FEAR! I did not feel any better when we got to the meeting area and there were several small boats there with Lava Tour written on the side. My husband kept assuring me they were not the boat we were going out on. Finally this huge boat pulled in and I felt so much better (better but still fearful). However, once we got out there and saw the amazing nature show, I completely forgot all about it. We were so close you could feel the heat from the lava. Got some great pics and it was something I will never forget! The captain and the staff were fantastic. I think this is a MUST DO on your trip!!

1  Thank LuckyBirthdayGirl
Reviewed October 5, 2010

I read the Tripadvisor reviews & recommendations and decided to take my wife and 2 young boys (7 & 8) on the Lavakai. Lava Ocean Adventures is an accurate name because it really is an adventure just getting there! Winding roads through tropical rain forests to the rugged coastline where you meet the boat for the ride out to the viewing area.

On the boatride out we saw tons of flying fish...one actually hit the Captain! The views of the coastline and previous lava flows are incredible and the narration by the crew is interesting and educational. The boat literally pulls right up to the active lava that is entering the ocean...you can feel the heat! The Lavakai is a big, stable, safe vessel...as opposed to some of the other, smaller boats that we saw in the area.

My only complaint is that because we had young boys we were not permitted to bring them on an evening or pre-dawn tour. The lava viewing is better in the lower light and you can see the red color better, supposedly. I understand the safety precaution and reasoning behind this decision, so my complaint isn't with the tour company...just my situation.

Lava Ocean Adventures definitely was a highlight of our trip to Hawaii !

Reviewed October 4, 2010

What an amazing, amazing, amazing experience!!! The crew was exceptionally knowledgeable about this history of the Big Island, the history of volcanic activity, "how it works", etc. Their narration / commentary while on the tour was most insightful & entertaining. The boat was great - felt very safe & stable. It seemed apparent that the crew was experienced & kept safety in forefront without letting it interfere with the experience. The visit to the site where the lava was flowing into the ocean was the most incredible, awe-inspiring experience I think I've ever had - it was unbelievable! I just can't even describe how beautiful, magnificent, awe-inspiring, etc...

What to bring? Rain jacket (for potential showers and/or 'splash'). We saw people coming in bathing suits, etc. - our trip was just a bit chilly. I was glad to have on jeans, t-shirt, closed shoes & my rain jacket/wind breaker! Of course, bring a camera (but know how to turn off your flash before you get there).

Thanks Lava Ocean Adventure folks - y'all were the best! We highly recommend!!!

1  Thank lovedoxies