“Good meal, entertainment.”

Kaleo's Bar & Grill
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Pahoa
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We were part of a group of eight on a busy night when entertainment was offered. The food was very good however we were a bit put off by the loudness of the music as we couldn't talk to one another.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Ugly building. Great gourmet food at reasonable prices. Organised free parking. We went twice in 2 nights!!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

You may think that the title of my review may be overzealous, however, not only was it the best meal I had on the island, but also the best experience as well, and I don't hand out excellent ratings as you can tell from my dozens of restaurant reviews.

I took the advice of Trip Advisor on this one, and the users got it right! In addition, a couple of locals and the host, whose house I was staying at also recommended Kaleos, so it was a must try. It was worth the drive into Pahoa, which is a cool funky little town. I sat at the bar for my dinner, and was greeted by the bartender Belle, who has a great attitude and was very pleasant to talk to. The place was busy, no empty tables, friendly host and servers.

I ordered a Longboard beer ($5), a must for me every time I am in Hawaii, and it came out icy cold. I scored a hit on the pupu (appetizer), I ordered the Kalua pork wontons ($8) and they were fantastic. However the overall experience continues to gain momentum, as for my main dish I ordered the coconut crusted Ono ($28), which was the best meal by far I had on the Big Island of Hawaii. Keep in mind, not only this past trip, but the last four times I was on the Big Island of Hawaii! I finished off the meal with Lava Cake ($7) dessert, which I rarely eat dessert, it was good as well, but not as good to what I ate moments prior. The chef is well trained in culinary cuisine, as it was evident by the presentation, and the quality of the food.

I strongly recommend that if you are in the Puna district on the Big Island, that you make your way to Kaleo's Bar & Grill and get served a memorable meal.

1  Thank digitalroc
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stopped and got takeout...kalua pig and cabbage (an island favorite) and steak tips in sherry sauce. Both very good. Nice restaurant and busy on weekends for sure and most other nights. Heard breakfast and lunch are very good but haven't had the pleasure.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

What more could you want? The drinks were also delicious! We stumbled upon this place when we were driving through and came back for our last night of our honeymoon. I had the coconut crusted Ono and it was incredible!

1  Thank JillianLore