“A real surprise...”

Kaleo's Bar & Grill
Ranked #2 of 40 Restaurants in Pahoa
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We did not expect to find such fabulous food in this small town. Even though the restaurant was crowded we were treated so well. The drinks were beautifully prepared and the atmosphere made us feel very glad to be there. It was raining but the cozy feeling was perfect. All of the staff was friendly and helpful.
Be sure to make a reservation. It can get crowded. It would be a shame to miss this experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We wandered into the town of Pahoa on hwy 130 on the Big Island. We rolled the dice and ate at Kaleo's. I had a Mahi wrap and my wife had a mediterranean platter. The food was great. The service was a bit slow, but that could be the laid back Hawaiian style. Lunches run about $10-15, which is reasonable for HI. Worth a stop is you are going through Pahoa.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had been on Lava Adventures and asked about a good place for dinner and were told to come here, so glad we did. Our experience started off by a friendly young man parking us, then we were escorted to our table by a lovely lady. The food was devine, great suggestions and service by our server Peter...thank you Peter. I had the fresh catch, which was grilled Ono with a type of korean sauce, it was the best I have had since being here. My husband had the barbeque ribs and he says he won but I think we both won. The food was fresh and made on site and reasonable priced. Oh and the desserts were spectacular. Chocolate decadence cake, cheesecake and Lava flo cake. We will be back to try lunch.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were told that this was the best restaurant in Pahoa but we have had better meals in other locations. The menu is quite diverse and some of the items were quite good - the mozzarella marinara in particular stood out as outstanding. However, the fresh fish was so over cooked, that my son thought it was chicken. The service was spotty, very good at times and then completely missing later in the meal. At one point, we ordered new drinks before our entrees arrived and the drink came after the meal was complete. Over, it is good but not great.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were told that Kaleo's was the best restaurant in Pahoa. It was a total disappointment. Our server was fine and so was our appetizer. Our dinner was horrible. My coconut shrimp was over-breaded and topped with something that tasted like that orange French dressing out of a bottle. My cabbage was very skimpy and the rice was stone cold, as was my husband's. When we cpomplained, the waitress comped us for one beer. To add to our frustration, there was a man seated next to us that had to shout every sentence and bray like a donkey. Yuck. The next night we ate at the Kalapana Village Cafe, a funky outdoor spot with no pretensions and it cost 1/4 the price. The gal at the walkup window apologized for the long wait but assured us that she wanted our meal to get to us hot. It was--and delicious!

1  Thank Carol_from_MN