“I will go back to Kalani”
Review of Kalani

Kalani
Ranked #1 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Pahoa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 22, 2010

Kalani is like summer camp for adults. I found it relaxing and invigorating. The guests were a diverse mix of straight and gay, men and women, couples and singles, American, Canadian and European. There were musical workshops, yoga workshops, a film one night, organized excursions on some days, and plenty of time for doing nothing. The pool, the hot tubs, the hammocks - all very nice. My friend thought the yoga classes were great. I loved our cabin - screens but no glass on the windows, breeze and nature's noise at night. There is no TV or radio here, limited cell phone service, but they have wireless internet service if you must. The meals were huge - either exercise restraint or eat two a day or just give up and gain weight. This place is remote, rural, in some ways like being on a working farm. Volcano National Park was about an hour away as is Hilo. The scenery along the coast is spectacular. I will go back.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 20, 2009

I decided to visit Kalani for the Yoga. Yoga classes were ok. Dome of the activities on the schedulle got cancelled.
The place was undergoing some repairs so construction was happenening all over the place. I only got to enjoy the pool 1 day because they were working on it the rest of the time so the whole spa area was not as quiet and plesant. I do no t recommend this for solo travelers. Most of the people at the facilities are staff so it makes it hard to get to know other solo travelers to explore the area with. Its a nice place but just not what I expected. I would describe it as a plesant family stay.
Rooms are ok. Beds not too comfortable and they had bed bugs :(

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank theFloridian
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Kalani is not the perfect place for everyone, but my personal one-week stay was memorable. The naturalistic guest cottage accomodations were clean and comfortable, and the spa services, adventures and yoga sessions were perfect for this beginner. Finally, I gained weight after eating three meals a day at Kalani. If you are looking to restructure your diet and eat tasty & nutritious fruits, veggies with fish, chicken, pork and tofu selections, then Kalani will satisfy your appetite. Just use more self restraint than me.

Sometimes the right people
and settings line right up to give us the perfect experience needed for
our life's journey. I didn't expect to experience that after spending a
week at Kalani, but that sure was the end result.
Everything I experienced fit together like the perfect puzzle to create
a better understanding of the big picture in life.

All the people in this village were kind and non-judgemental. If you want to escape the mainland rat race, slow down at Kalani to reconnect with the values that reside inside of your soul.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank PauloPablo
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I went to Kalani by myself for a yoga retreat as part of a workshop from an NYC instructor. I had a great time staying at Kalani. Met lots of nice people from all over at the pool, in the hot tub and at the dinner table. I also have to mention the all volunteer staff were all so very friendly. I actually thought about volunteering sometime, If ever I'm unemployed again. There were lots of interesting new foods, so I tried them all. They were all very tasty. I even ventured over to the ecstatic dance on Sunday. That was a lot of fun. Not seen that much tie die in a long time.... ;-)
Over all, a great place to stay for nice quiet relaxation (swimming, hottub, yoga), adventure (for tours), therapeutic (dolphin dance, watsua pool), nice sleeping arrangements, great weather, and food.
I'd recommend it to anyone and have.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Kalani is extraordinary but it is not for the average resort traveller.

Finding Kalani is not easy as it is so far off the beaten path, but for some that merely adds to the enjoyment!

The staff are young, playful volunteers (for the most part) and appear to be enjoying their time there as though on vacation themselves. They welcomed me to eat at their table on my first night there (as I was a solo traveller) and I thrilled at hearing their experiences as travellers!

The food is second to none! I ate well at every meal and though no alcohol was served my meals were better than I have had at many far fancier locales. It was easy to be a vegetarian there, and almost easy to be a vegan! Their breakfasts were the best!!!

The services (massage, yoga, etc) were varied and interesting. Sara (Watsu masseuse) was amazing and Cathy (yoga guru) changed my life. I was enchanted by these women!

From the day I arrived to the moment I left I was comfortable, happy, well-fed, entertained and satisfied with my choice. I'd go back tomorrow.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Couchtraveller10
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Come check out Kalani. It's a bit of a drive to get here but it is worth it. To get the most out of your visit, do stay at least 5 days. You need the time to enjoy the fresh air, the scenery, and the quiet sanctuary Kalani offers. The are many classes to try and hikes to take.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Simple, clean accommodations with community refrigerator. Simple healthy delicious food. Friendly mostly volunteer staff. Gorgeous setting with temperate weather. Great yoga facility. High point is the pool/spa area, with sauna, jacuzzis, Olympic swimming pool, and especially the warm watsu massage pool with terrific bodyworkers on staff.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank LosAngelesMongoose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Arnott's Lodge
Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast
Pele's Breath
Pele's Breath
#1 of 1 in Pahoa

Been to Kalani? Share your experiences!