“I love Kalani”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Seattle, Washington
“I love Kalani”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I'm an independent dance teacher in Seattle and have been bringing students to
residencies at Kalani the past twelve years. It's a fabulous place to be a presenter/facilitator. I've always deeply appreciated the respect and support Kalani offers me as a creative professional sharing my arts in their facilities. This is a very rare situation where one doesn't need to be famous to have an opportunity to high caliber residencies.
Many of my students also become repeat visitors as Kalani weaves its embracing webs of aloha all around us.
I've seen many great things develop at Kalani as time goes by. One of the most exciting for me from year to year is watching the landscaping become more and more thoughtful and beautiful. And then there's the whole aquaponics, composting and solar collecting set of projects. So inspiring!

Room Tip: Lodging satisfaction depends very much on individual tastes, needs, expectations and timing. Best t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We stayed at Kalani in the middle of the rain forest for a week and fell totally in love with the place. It's Heaven for the cosmically conscious, hippies, yogis, artists, and other benign weirdos who appreciate beautiful nature and great vegetarian food.

However, if you dream of the Marriott, T-bone steaks, and a hotel with cable TV, go somewhere else. Kalani is a place to meditate, write, do yoga, paint, and meet fun people. It's by far the BEST place we've visited in Hawaii, but Waikiki Beach it ain't. And thank God for that!

You can read my humorous blog about doing yoga at Kalani here if you want, http://fogtdal.blogspot.com/2011/12/there-is-nothing-more-powerful-than.html

Room Tip: We stayed in a bungalow with a view of the ocean that was way too expensive. (You couldn't reall...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DanishAccent
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed at Kalani Oceanside Retreat a few months ago and I found the experience very disappointing. The treehouse rooms were great in concept, with the frogs and crickets chirping away through the night. I can understand from other reviews that people would have trouble sleeping. They are loud, very loud... but I liked the whole with nature bit. However, that was the extent of it.

The accommodation was in need of a facelift. The rooms were old and worn. Whilst I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel, I was expecting it to look and feel clean. The floor and bathroom were clean, but the bedding, pillow cases, shower curtains were old and stained. It certainly lacked the clean feel. The room itself was fine but the obvious patch work to repair holes and leaks etc could be seen. Considering that the accommodation was around 180 / night (can't remember exactly), I would have expected more.

The grounds themselves are in need of a decent clean. Perhaps a good workers bee to just tidy up the paths a bit. Overgrown weeds on the pathways do not need to part of the whole retreat experience. Walking around some of the hikes, I came accross the recyle/compost area. Rubbish everywhere, old tyres piled up. I understand the need for composting, but it could have been in a much nicer way. I have stayed at other retreats which do composting, recycling, everything that Kalani does for about the same price and it was much cleaner.

On the plus side there are plenty of classes there to keep you busy, and some of the ocean side views along the road that Kalani is on are spectacular. The people were nice, and the hall/activity area quite relaxing. Unfortunately, with all the other things that I saw, I would not recommend this to other people, not at the price of the treehouse.

Room Tip: The treehouses were a rip off- Perhaps the other rooms would have been nicer
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Looking4NextHoliday
kalaniweb, Manager at Kalani, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Aloha, and thank you for your visit and taking the time to provide your feedback. While we certainly aren't a Hilton, we do everything we can to keep our rooms looking fresh and comfortable. Our Treehouses take extra effort because of their beautiful, open nature that you described and enjoyed. As such, they are next in line for a face lift, which should be completed in the coming months. In general, people love the Treehouses, and we look forward to that being amplified with the remodel.

During your visit, we had a couple problems with bins being knocked over in our recycle/compost area (which most guests rarely see, as this is part of the service area of our property.) This has since been resolved with wooden framing and a closed staging area, as you can imagine we didn't enjoy having to clean that up every morning! We are happy that this area is now kept neat and tidy.

Similarly, our maintenance solar shed, is being re-organized so that anything unsightly is tucked out of sight. Again, it is very rare guests pass by, but we realize that the adventurers love exploring every nook and cranny of our 125 acres! We are very proud of our green efforts, and this includes extensive recycling. We divert 70% of our waste from landfill into recycling and compost, and we are striving to reach 80% this year. Extensive recycling and compost is not pretty (which is why it is tucked away in our maintenance areas), but it IS the responsible thing for our fragile and beautiful environment here on the largest conservation coast in Hawaii.

We do hope you return soon to see our efforts and improvements in these areas. Mahalo, and malama pono!
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed February 20, 2012

In my first review I said I'd go back. It's two years later and I just returned from 8 days at Kalani, having participated in one of their yoga workshops. This time I stayed in one of the tree houses - very happy with that choice. Kalani is peaceful, restful, decompressing. I love the remoteness of the place, the contrast from commercial tourist Hawaii, and the awesome scenery in this region. I love that there is no TV or radio and barely a cell phone signal. I enjoyed the workshop (thanks to the three leaders!) and I met some great people. Kalani serves three, large, satisfying meals a day. The staff do a great job - cheerful and helpful, all. The pool area is good day and night. I look forward to a third trip some time in the next few years.

Room Tip: The tree houses and cottages nearer the entrance to the property have excellent breeze and the sound...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zorro98
san francisco
Reviewed February 9, 2012

If you want to experience the natural beauty and tropical abundance of Hawaii without the tourists, golf courses and poolside bars, Kalani is for you! The grounds are lush and extensive, and the spring-fed Olympic size swimming pool is fabulous, with two outdoor hot tubs and a sauna next to it. The dining lanai is open air and lovely, and the food is abundant, healthy and delicious. The guests and staff are happy, friendly and welcoming -Kalani is very healing and luxurious. RIght across the street is the ocean, with waves crashing against dramatic black lava cliffs, and down the road is a small black sand beach, Kehana. Nearby is a huge volcanically heated natural oceanside pool, and tide pools brimming with neon tropical fish, coral and green sea turtles. There are several farmer's markets in the area where one can buy local produce and products. Kalani is a paradise and you're guaranteed to feel renewed and refreshed after even a day here. It was hard to return to city life after my stay here.

Room Tip: All the rooms are sweet - and are mostly in small cottages.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ladybeesf
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Want to stay far from tourist-tacky-consumerism, enjoy 3 gourmet/organic meals a day and be close to some of the BEST nature experiences that Hawaii offers? Kalani is the answer! Plus, they've got great yoga teachers and world-class massage therapists (all flavors, including watsu) who will melt your body and mind into a blissful state... ready for the next day's adventure. My favorite nearby attraction is swimming in volcanically-heated tide pools with sea turtles and hundreds of tropical fish. (note that these are FREE, not a pricey dolphin 'adventure'). The friendly staff at Kalani are very good at making your stay comfortable, and the large property has numerous native trees and flowers which attract colorful birds & butterflies. Hike (or drive) around the nearby active volcano, then soak in a hot tub under the starry skies... the list of delights at Kalani is endless. Have food allergies or sensitivities (or a strict vegan?) All the yummy food choices are well-labelled - this gluten-free gal was overjoyed with the selection! They are very progressive in how they grow their food (aquaponics!) and handle trash/recycling/food-scraps... so you can feel good about the impact of your vacation-stay on the planet!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Morgan13morgan
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Everytime my husband and I come to Kalani we are met with such a palatable sense of calm and realization that this is how life should be and that our existence in LA is just a temporary trip through insanity. The food, the people, and the community feeds our bodies, our need for a supportive society and our souls. We want to come back before we even leave. The staff at Kalani from the moment you check in with Donna or Kat, to yoga with Kathy and massages with Nile, reassures us that we have indeed found paradise. Coqui frogs at night and the native birds at day serenade our trip through this beautiful experience. We have been so lucky to have experienced Kalani over a dozen times over the past 10 years. If we could retire there tomorrow we would but until then we will make frequent visits to feed and replenish our souls and our lives.
- Mark and Scot, W Hollywood

Room Tip: The Kalani Kai hales or Mauka and the tree houses are worth the added cost.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mdb102058
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Kirpal Meditation and Ecological Center
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ma'ukele Lodge
Ma'ukele Lodge
#1 of 2 in Kalapana

Been to Kalani? Share your experiences!