“Kalani Honua resets my internal peace and balance”
Review of Kalani

Kalani
Ranked #2 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Pahoa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
West Hollywood, California
“Kalani Honua resets my internal peace and balance”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Everytime my husband and I come to Kalani we are met with such a palatable sense of calm and realization that this is how life should be and that our existence in LA is just a temporary trip through insanity. The food, the people, and the community feeds our bodies, our need for a supportive society and our souls. We want to come back before we even leave. The staff at Kalani from the moment you check in with Donna or Kat, to yoga with Kathy and massages with Nile, reassures us that we have indeed found paradise. Coqui frogs at night and the native birds at day serenade our trip through this beautiful experience. We have been so lucky to have experienced Kalani over a dozen times over the past 10 years. If we could retire there tomorrow we would but until then we will make frequent visits to feed and replenish our souls and our lives.
- Mark and Scot, W Hollywood

Room Tip: The Kalani Kai hales or Mauka and the tree houses are worth the added cost.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mdb102058

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Our five days of the "Kalani Experience" were relaxing, idyllic and paradisical. The setting is beautiful, and there is a great deal of thought put in to making guests feel welcome - we felt like honored guests throughout our stay and the aloha spirit is in evidence everywhere. The food is abundant, healthful, and delicious. The bodyworks (included in our package) were wonderfully healing. I needed a chiropractor while I was there and the staff were incredibly helpful in facilitating that. The "adventure" (also included) was a super fun day exploring the underwater world. Daily yoga, Hawaiian culture classes and so on enriched our stay. The walls of the room (we stayed in a "Hale") were a little thin and noise easily travels, but earplugs are thoughtfully provided. The nearby beach is a delight. A wonderful place to rejuvenate, relax, and renew. We cannot wait to return. Malaho (Thank you)!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Recovering from an illness I needed a week of rest, wonderful people, clean air, and great food. Kalani delivered completely. And when I wanted activity it was all around me. The Ecstatic Dance on Sunday, the lomilomi massages, the hikes around the property, Wednesday night at Uncle Roberts (great Hawaiian music!), were all wonderful. After my week at KalaniI I was more energetic, sleeping less, taking fewer medications, and in general feeling great.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Randy N
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My stay at Kalani was a welcome and surprisingly wonderful experience. I had no idea about the place when I scheduled a workshop. I must say, my one week was truly a little piece of heaven in my life of turmoil at the time. I would highly recommend Kalani to anyone who wants to get away to a perfectly relaxing environment and skip all the tourist trap stress in Hawaii. I have always had hesitancies about visiting Hawaii for that reason. Loved the people I met, loved the staff, and the food was such a nice treat. I can't wait to go back and take my son and maybe volunteer for a while. Thank you to all who helped make my stay a wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Orange County, CA
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We scheduled to have dinner one night at Kalani, as we were staying nearby in Kalapana. The reservations were easy and we arrived early so we could view the spectacular grounds. The statues are beautiful and carefully placed throughout. Dinner was served on a very large lanai and was accompanied by a wonderful guitar player. The dinner was excellent....

Locally sourced organic foods, prepared by a visiting chef. Delicious! The entire meal was enjoyed, but my favorite was the mashed purple sweet potatoes with coconut milk. The staff, so full of energy and pleasant. I highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kcollett67
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I have visited Kalani twice, the first time I attended a Lucid Dreaming retreat for 10 days, and just recently spent two weeks there.

Kalani is different from most resorts, there is no alcohol on property and the food is very clean, healthy and good! The resort is run by volunteers who are wonderful, it seems everyone who goes to the resort is there to make positive changes in their life, both times I have visited I have left feeling so alive.

Kalani offers over 40 different classes a week, including different types of Yoga, and healing techniques, the grounds are expansive and very beautiful, and it is along the coast, with a 30 minute walk to a black sand beach.

The pool is my favorite part of the resort, it's clothing optional and the water is well water, with low chlorine, it feels so fresh to swim in. Adjacent are two hot tubs and a sauna, enjoyable days!

I stay in one of the cheapest rooms and it's beautiful!!

Room Tip: I stay in a room with bathroom, it's beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank rawkatherine
Ventura CA
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I loved my stay at the Kalani! (Tho some things were a bit rough around the egdes.). The food was so good! We never wanted to miss a meal! Fresh and well prepared. The scene at meal time, with the guests, employees and volunteers all eating on the dining lanai together, really helps one feel a part of the community quickly. My one complaint with the meals is the food could have been served hotter. I loved the home-made granola at breakfast. Dinner was always great, and there was plenty of meat. The massages I had were excellent, and there were many different types of yoga classes. The grounds are simply gorgeous, flowers everywhere, expansive lawns, charming paths, statues here and there, hammocks under the trees. The pool is nice and the hot tubs are toasty! The part of the island the retreat is on is lush and jungly. A walk down the ocean front street just takes your breath away. People are nice there and everybody has some sort of story to tell. Our room was perfectly adequate, tho the construction and decor was kind of cheap seeming. Service was gracious and professional. We didn't want to leave and we want to go back!!! Maybe next year!

• Stayed September 2011
4 Thank Maxvta2000
kalaniweb, Owner at Kalani, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Aloha, and thank you for your lovely review. We've passed your feedback, both positive and constructive, to the kitchen. We're very blessed to have incredible local organic produce and other local food to serve here, and it's all made with lots of love - so it shows in the taste!

We're also so happy you mentioned the grounds; we don't manicure things like resorts do here, we keep things kept but wild. We encourage our guests to pick flowers from the trees and put them in their hair or make a lei; to pick a fresh avocado and bring it to lunch with you - we find that this really helps people connect more with the beautiful land around us.

As for the rooms, glad you enjoyed their simple comfort. We are in the process of upgrading all of our rooms, and so anyone reading knows they can book a modern room that is more standard, or one of our more simple Hawaiian rooms. We keep all rooms clean and comfortable - just speak with us to find what is best for you.

Mahalo for taking the time to write about us!

Malama pono (be well),
Richard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Kirpal Meditation and Ecological Center
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ma'ukele Lodge
Ma'ukele Lodge
#1 of 2 in Kalapana

Been to Kalani? Share your experiences!