“I tried to buy into this but it fell short”
Review of Kalani

Kalani
Ranked #3 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Pahoa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My partner and I chose to stay here because we wanted a different experience on Hawai'i Island. Having backpacked most of our lives, we don't have extremely high expectations but have stayed at several retreats similar to this.

We stayed in the tree house room 22, for four nights. The sound of the birds and crickets and frogs was delightful. I understand why some people wouldn't be able to sleep but we found it wonderful and you are provided ear plugs if you need them.

Unfortunately Kalani fell way short of our expectations. We tried to buy into what they are trying to achieve and it could be that - a relaxed, alternative, escape, with a focus on environment and healthy living. Unfortunately the uncovered rubbish piles (littered, most strangely, with plastic coffee cups and Styrofoam), the 'unkemptness' of everything beyond the pool and guest services building (e.g. overflowing rubbish bins), and the shabby room just didn't live up to a $200 per night stay. The rooms have been built with a minimum of effort. Some lamps work, some bugs are kept at bay, some windows are fully covered by fly screen. I think the owners have forgotten their customers - the place appears to have become more of an 'artists / hippie commune' rather than a place for visitors to escape.

As a result of our uncomfort with the place, we decided to eat in P'hora each night so can't comment on the meals. Even if I wanted to have bought a coffee after breakfast hours, I wasn’t able to.

If you are very 'free of heart and soul' then this place may be for you (the yoga / Tantra / meditation classes throughout the day are numerous) but if you are expecting something more well kept then maybe this isn't for you.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
17  Thank BrisbaneRunner
kalaniweb, General Manager at Kalani, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Aloha, thanks for your review and for bringing things to our attention that affected your stay. It's too bad you missed out on our meals, as they get rave reviews! We generally find that the more people immerse themselves in the rich experiences here, the more people "buy in" to the magic of Kalani, so to speak.

It's a shame you didn't get your morning coffee - for others reading, please know that coffee and tea are available for guests at both Hale Aloha and the Dining Lanai from 6:15AM - 10PM. We have asked our guest services staff to remind all visitors without meal plans of this availability.

Our tree houses are usually adored by our guests. They are not the most modern accommodations we have on property - they are meant to feel more rustic - but they are really fun and have beautiful views. As a result of your feedback, we immediately sent maintenance in to look for any issues you may have encountered, and certainly to take care of what you mentioned. Living in the jungle, it is a constant challenge to keep everything looking impeccable, and we do our best - we always encourage guests to bring any issues to us so that we can make sure things are dealt with immediately.

It is rare that anyone would see uncovered rubbish piles here - those are compost piles, and are near one of the hiking trails at the top of our property. What looks like coffee cups and styrofoam is actually our compostable to-go containers and cups - an important part of our strong commitment to reducing waste. In only a couple of months, these containers break down and become fertilizer, which our horticulture department uses for our indigenous plant programs around the property.

Our founder is absolutely passionate about ensuring our visitors' comfort, and personally introduces himself to everyone on the dining lanai - so if you ever do come back this way, do make a point of discovering the vibrant community side of Kalani that you missed during this stay. We are certain your experience would have been very different, and we'll be happy to guide you to accommodation options which will best suit what you are looking for. Our staff, volunteers, and guests create a fascinating community of people from all walks of life from around the world. We're focused on preserving Hawaiian culture, yoga, performing arts, and sustainable living.

Mahalo for your feedback, and we wish you many joys in your future travels.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

fantastic place, beautiful, great food, and friendly friendly people

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank cadragonfly1105
Reviewed July 7, 2011

It took the first night to get used to the window type and the noise of froggies but afterwards it was fine. This place is wondrful for the environment and nothing is wasted.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I love Kalani Oceanside Retreat Center on the Big Island in Hawaii. I return there year after year to lead an annual Energetic Vinyasa Flow™ Yoga retreat. because we are connected to the island, the land, the ocean and nature's 5 elements in a direct and powerful way. The property is vast and very green. The food is delicious offering meat, fish and vegetarian options. the accommodations are simple and rustic. The service is outstanding with so much kindness. The swimming pool and jacuzzi area is beautiful and peaceful. My students always enjoy the overall experience: Yoga, nature and location. Their Yoga rooms are spacious and beautiful. I love the rainbow room.
I am already planning another Yoga retreat there for next year in the fall.
I highly recommend if you are looking for an authentic experience!

Room Tip: The cottages are nice.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank isabelleds
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I live down the road from Kalani, actually. My mom came for a visit from the mid-west, and she stayed with me some, but I also wanted her to get to experience Kalani. It's a big part of my life, since I do so much there as part of the lower Puna community. So, I booked her one of the bamboo cabins. She absolutely LOVED it. LOVED it!! I knew she would. And I was so happy to get to share Kalani with her. Now she wants my dad to get to stay there next time he comes, and I'll continue to share it with people visiting me.

Room Tip: I highly recommend M13 where my mom stayed.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank taochild
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I didn't know what to expect really, I needed a vacation and Kalani came up on a web search. I think it has been one of my favorite trips. The Retreat was great, the yoga classes awesome and the food magnificent!! The friendly staff were helpful and warmly welcoming to me. I never felt as though I was out of place as a single woman. The dining Lanai made meeting people easy and the I can't say enough good things about the food.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank cuggycolleen
Reviewed June 6, 2011

What a wonderful place.
Mahalo to all the people who are part of this creation.
Peaceful place, open & loving people.
Excellent Bodyworkers, Yoga Teachers, rooms & food.
Uplifting place, makes it easy to connect with all the elements and transformation can happen. Therefore also great place to do trainings- I did the Trance Dance there. Wow!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank AmanjotKaur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Kirpal Meditation and Ecological Center
Ma'ukele Lodge
Ma'ukele Lodge
#1 of 2 in Kalapana

Been to Kalani? Share your experiences!