My partner and I chose to stay here because we wanted a different experience on Hawai'i Island. Having backpacked most of our lives, we don't have extremely high expectations but have stayed at several retreats similar to this.
We stayed in the tree house room 22, for four nights. The sound of the birds and crickets and frogs was delightful. I understand why some people wouldn't be able to sleep but we found it wonderful and you are provided ear plugs if you need them.
Unfortunately Kalani fell way short of our expectations. We tried to buy into what they are trying to achieve and it could be that - a relaxed, alternative, escape, with a focus on environment and healthy living. Unfortunately the uncovered rubbish piles (littered, most strangely, with plastic coffee cups and Styrofoam), the 'unkemptness' of everything beyond the pool and guest services building (e.g. overflowing rubbish bins), and the shabby room just didn't live up to a $200 per night stay. The rooms have been built with a minimum of effort. Some lamps work, some bugs are kept at bay, some windows are fully covered by fly screen. I think the owners have forgotten their customers - the place appears to have become more of an 'artists / hippie commune' rather than a place for visitors to escape.
As a result of our uncomfort with the place, we decided to eat in P'hora each night so can't comment on the meals. Even if I wanted to have bought a coffee after breakfast hours, I wasn’t able to.
If you are very 'free of heart and soul' then this place may be for you (the yoga / Tantra / meditation classes throughout the day are numerous) but if you are expecting something more well kept then maybe this isn't for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalani is the largest retreat center in the state of Hawaii, nestled on the yoga coast in one of Hawaii's largest conservation areas for over 35 years. We feature more than 40 classes a week, including our renowned yoga and meditation programming, Hawaiian culture classes, and dance (hula, modern, and aerial.)Our location on the Big Island of Hawaii is 5 minutes from Kehena Beach, a clothing-optional black sand beach where wild-spinner dolphins frequently swim; 15 miles from spectacular lava-viewing; and nestled in luscious rainforest, which helps feed our organic kitchens with abundant fruit and vegetables. Kalani is known as a power spot - Shiva Rea calls Kalani "one of the most potent and nurturing retreat centers in the world." Kalani is a 501(c)(3) charity. Your stay here will support the preservation of Hawaiian culture, transformation, and within the poorest district in Hawaii. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Kalani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Pahoa
- Kalani Oceanside Retreat Hotel Pahoa
- Kalani Hawaii/Pahoa