“Outstanding place to rent”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Ecko's Ohia Hale

Mme. Pele, as seen from the ocean 9/11/16, Kalapana Cultural Tours. the ONLY way to go, COME SEE!
Queen memory foam bed, 100% cotton sheets/blankets, & huge closet Holei Sea Arch, Chain of Craters Road, HVNP, Volcano
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Queen memory foam bed, 100% cotton sheets/blankets, & huge closet
Holei Sea Arch, Chain of Craters Road, HVNP, Volcano
cozy seating for coffee, cocktails or watching TV
Puna Coast, along the Red Road
Work space, with a view
Visiting Mme. Pele, ocean entry 9/11/16
E Komo Mai, Welcome!
Green Sea Turtle, Punalu'u Black Sand Beach
lava, LAVA, it's amazing!!
pre-dawn visit to Mme. Pele
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Larry O
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Outstanding place to rent”
Reviewed January 27, 2018 for a stay in January 2018

Ecko's Ohia Hale is a truly unique and wonderful place to stay. It is on the edge of the Rainforest, so as soon as you walk out the door you can see the lush foliage and flowers, plus hear the sounds of the birds. What make this place so unique is Lisa the owner and her cat Ecko. Lisa as there to meet us late the night we arrive. From that time forward she as very responsive and polite to all of our questions, plus gave a lot of insight on places off the map and short cuts to places on the map. Just to show you how great of a person and host Lisa is, I was interested in the foliage and flowers that I could see from our driveway in the Rainforest. So when we came back the next day she had cleared a path for me to walk out and take pictures of them. Make sure you visit Pahoa, a cross between an old western town and a hippie commune. If you want the best smoothie on the island make sure you visit the Get Shaking, just past the Botanical Gardens on the Old Scenic Highway.

Your age range 65+
Jan 31, 2018
Mahalo nui loa for the review~ A pleasure to meet you & share my favorite places. So glad you were able to escape the Wisconsin winter chill & enjoy a Hawaiian adventure! Always welcome.
A hui hou
joelydown...
Bothell, Washington
“Great Great Great... Perfect location and fantastic host(s)!”
Reviewed September 25, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

This is a great unit hosted by a fantastic lady and her amazing cat Ecko! Lisa is the perfect hostess and available (or not if you want some solitude) to assist with anything. She has a wealth of knowledge about the island should you have any questions at all. The unit itself is very private (your own little apartment) and is spotless. Fully equipped to make your stay easy! The location is very central to all that the green side of the Big Island has to offer.
I will be back and would not hesitate to recommend Ecko's Ohai Hale to anyone!

Sep 26, 2017
Mahalo nui loa~ SO glad you packed many adventures in a few days/nights! Look forward to seeing you again, as a guest or a new neighbor! Happy trails, a hui hou, & much aloha~
Ber A
“Great experience!”
Reviewed July 12, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

This was a great little hideaway. Would stay here again. There is a lot to see in this area. My husband and I spent the last few days of our trip here. We went snorkeling at the tide pools, to the light house near by. Lava tree state park. Wish we had more time in this area. Lisa was a great host giving us advice as to where to go. She works at a amazing smoothie place we went twice it was our favorite on the island. Thanks Lisa for such a great time.

Jul 14, 2017
Mahalo! It was a pleasure to have you stay with us! Sharing my favorite places to see, eat & (some of) the Hawaiian culture/legends, are just some of the reasons I started this adventure in vacation rentals!
Hope you return & continue your exploration of the Big Island, there's plenty more adventures ahead....
A hui hou~
Nankom1
Michigan City, Indiana
“Stay here. Owner shares know-how to get the most of your vacation”
Reviewed February 14, 2017 for a stay in February 2017
person found this review helpful

Clean, comfortable and all you need is here! Quiet neighborhood. Tropical setting. Beach & snorkel gear provided. Owner has an adorable cat who rewards you w/ attention.
Best part is the owner. She communicates well and encourages questions. She was always available in person or via text/phone, yet she was never intrusive. Her advice gave us the inside track to find and experience the best of the east-side of the Big Island.

Feb 15, 2017
Mahalo, Nancy & Ray! Thoroughly enjoyed meeting you both & offering suggestions of MY favorite things to do & see in the Puna district! Hope you choose to return & continue to explore more, & embrace the Hawaiian culture... Hope to keep in touch, & see you again.
Ecko tested AND approved!
A hui hou
Peacevall...
“Nice, cozy, clean and very friendly host”
Reviewed February 3, 2017 for a stay in January 2017
person found this review helpful

This was pretty much everything I hoped for on my first trip to the Big Island. It was a very nice and clean little place. Lisa was so helpful and had many ideas for us what to do and see. Thank you Lisa, we love to come back on my next trip.

Tae & Julia from Vancouver, Canada

Feb 3, 2017
Mahalo, Tea & Julia!
Mme. Pele has drawn attention to herself, once again... There was yet another collapse, yesterday afternoon, the 'hot crack' that HVNP & USGS has been investigating, CRACKED all the way! I'll send video!
Mahalo nui loa, & look forward to you NEXT Hawaiian adventure.
LynseyA50
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Perfect cosy jungle studio apartment”
Reviewed January 16, 2017 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

I absolutely loved my stay here with Lisa and her gorgeous friendly cat Ecko.

Lisa was quick to get back to me on a last minute booking and I was so happy that she could accommodate me at such short notice.
From the minute I arrived to the day I departed Lisa helped with anything i needed, she was a fountain of info... from recommending local places that are a must see and do, places to eat (check out What's Shakin... really great smoothies and sandwiches!), tours and the best people to go with, all whilst giving me directions to everything so I wouldn't get lost.
There are lots of things to do on her doorstep... from visiting Volcano park, to snorkelling in the tide pools, walking to see Mdm Pele, too many things to list on here!
Lisa is such a nice, warm, friendly person that just makes you feel right at home as soon as you arrive. I loved chatting with her comparing stories, she has many interesting ones! Her place is very comfortable, immaculately clean and cosy and has everything you need.
It was great to lie listening to the coqui frogs and jungle sounds at night before I fell into a deep sleep. I am a bad sleeper, especially now recovering from a broken back, but I got great sleeps here! I honestly wish I had found her place at the start of my holidays!! I can't wait to go back and stay with Lisa again. Many thanks and hugs from Scotland

Jan 17, 2017
Aloha Lynsey, what an inspiration you are, to all you come in contact with! Despite issues with communicating, initially, due to international cell phone restrictions, we made it work, & i am so glad you chose to stay here!! (I've since been attempting to implement a 'smart phone' loaner/rental for international guests)
I KNOW we will stay in touch, the wonders of social media, i look forward to celebrating each step of your ongoing recovery, & the adventures to follow.
me ke aloha nui, a me ke aloha~ with great love & affection, until we meet again!!
the door will always be open for you, Lynsey!
A hui hou!
coffeegir...
Vienna, Austria
“Peace in the rainforest”
Reviewed November 27, 2016 for a stay in November 2016
person found this review helpful

Tired of expensive hotels with ugly furniture and high parking fees? Then you have found the right spot on the Big Island with Lisa and her lovely cat Ecko. (The other one loves to hide)
You will find a huge room that looks like two rooms have been combined with a big bed, a sofa, 2 tables with chairs for eating or just dropping purses and shopping bags, a kitchenette with all you need and a bathroom with a big shower and lots of towels. All hidden at the backside of her pretty house on stilts and a parking spot next to the door on the property. The sound of the rainforest frogs, birds, geckos and who knows what else is so enchanting and soothes you into sleep easily.
As the Big Island is huge you will have to drive at least 45min from Hilo to the Volcano National Park or 1 hours to Mauna Kea. But at Lisa's house you are already much closer. Take the route to the rainforest up instead of the highway when you drive to the Volcano National Park, it's a beautiful road without traffic. Also drive to thru Pahoa to Kalapana and visit Gerry at his Lava Info point left before the guard. He has great infos about the volcano and lives in his hut on the new lava that buried his original house years ago. From there you can take a hike or bike ride to the lava that's pouring into the sea right now (Nov 2016)
Back to Lisa's place... it's super clean and the price is amazing! Visit her also when you drive the scenic route worth of Hilo and enjoy a healthy shake and the best Avocados you will ever get at "What's Shakin". Lisa can tell you a lot about where to go and what to do. She is a perfect host.

Also visit the Southpoint and take the 4WD ride with a native to green beach. 15$ are worth the ride, trust me! (2,5 -3 hours from Lisa's house. Stop at black beach in Punalum'u and the bakery in Naalehu.)

Mauna Kea - a must! Enjoy sunset on top and stargazing later at the visitor center. Need a 4WD car though!

Enjoy the stay and live pono.
Joey & Brian (Austria & Nevada)

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the sounds of the rainforest in the night
Liked least: that you get no food on the Island past 10pm, keep some in the fridge :-D
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Nov 28, 2016
Mahalo Joey & Brian!
So glad you enjoyed your stay, it was a pleasure to meet you both, & I hope to see you again, next year, if not sooner..... Sounds like you experienced 'authentic' Hawai'i, seeing places that are among MY favorites, Green Sand Beach, Punalu'u Black Sand Beach, (to see the 'Honu', Green Sea Turtles) & the Punalu'u Bakery in Na'aleu (lilikoi malasadas, YUMMY) Next time, I'd love to take you to the Ho'olaulea, in Kalapana, you will LOVE it!! Please keep in touch.
In the words of our kapuna, be righteous, be pono!
A hui hou!
Lisa & Ecko
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing