“Palace of Peace - a must see!”
Review of Wood Valley Temple

Wood Valley Temple
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

It took a bit to find this little gem, but well worth the search. My husband stayed with the kids while I explored this treasure alone. I saw one individual in the distance, otherwise I had the yard and temple to myself. The temple was elegant, peaceful and well maintained. The guest book showed there have been quite a few visitors. I was able to peek at the offerings and sit quietly while taking in the peacefulness of the wind chimes and trees rustling. Although I originally wanted to see the temple store, I chose not to hunt down someone to open it up.

1  Thank Pam D
All reviews
"retreat center"
"chanting"
"meditate"
"religious"
"aloha"

Reviewed September 29, 2013

My family thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Wood Valley Temple. Its a short ride off the main road - through some stunning countryside. Once you see the temple - it puts you in a state of calm & zen. It is modest in size - but it was very peaceful & welcoming. It was so quiet up there - no noise - just the breeze and peacocks.

A local monk took a moment to meet us & gave our boys (4 & 7) a peacock feather - it was a great moment.

Thanks & Namaste

2  Thank TheTravelDudeAbides
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I havent been there since the Dalai Lama came, and I've only been 3 times, but I would like to go again. I am not particularly any religion, but the feeling of being in a monastary or spiritual center is a lovely thing. It is a Buddhist Temple where monks live and practice, I dont know if they have tours- I didnt go there on one. It is a long drive, which adds to the sense of a pilgrimage. into a beautiful valley. A nice sojourn.

1  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The retreat center is the most relaxing place in the islands. Accommodations are comfortable, with tropcial, Asian themes in the rooms. We fixed lovely meals in the kitchen. We've traveled world wide and have returned here year after year to enjoy this magical place, bringing our children who now as adults return on their own to visit. Easy drive to Volanco National Park and down to the shore. This is a piece of old Hawai'i that few get to experience in this congested age in other parts of the islands. It's an hour to Hilo and an hour and half to the bustle of Kona. As empty nesters on our last trip we explored it all from hour base at the temple retreat.

3  Thank Holoholo-Lite