“Peaceful temple for peaceful mind”
Review of Wood Valley Temple

Wood Valley Temple
New York, NY
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Peaceful temple for peaceful mind”
Reviewed April 19, 2012 via mobile

Wood valley temple

Very quiet peaceful place.  If you like meditation, zen etc, might worth to stop by between volcano and Kona.  Take pikake street from highway 11.  GPS will take you middle of nowhere, so it's better go to their web nechung.org to get an accurate direction.
You will see red/orangish roof on your right and will not miss it.  We stopped by in the morning to visit and pray.  Monk came to see us to greet and thank you.  It used be a Japanese temple - nichiren shu when Japanese were working for sugar cane business.  Temple was left behind and it become Tibetan temple since 1975.

とてものどかで平和な場所にあります。ボルケーノとコナの間にありますのでもしお寺等が好きな方は立ち寄ってみるのもいいかもしれません。以前は日蓮宗の日本人が作ったお寺だった様でそののごりがあちこちにみられます。GPSでは正確な場所が得られません。ハイウェイ11からパハラの街に入ったらピカケ通りをずっと奥の方に進んで下さい。15分程でオレンジ赤色のカラフルなお寺が右手にみえます。

5 Thank katieMNYC

Dallas, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“I would live there if I could.”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

For my son's 16th birthday we took a trip to Hawai'i and took his best friend along. My son is interested in Buddhism so I researched temples on the island and found that you can actually stay at Wood Valley Temple. So I booked a few nights and WOW! The place has a high elevation so it's incredibly cool and that adds to the amazing ambiance of the Temple and grounds, which have a very spiritual feeling. There are peacocks that roam around and while the sound they make is loud, it is so calming. It mixes nicely with the birds.

The Temple is beautiful and inviting. If you can make a morning or evening meditation with the resident monk, Tiapala, I highly recommend it. And on Sundays people gather from around the Big Island for the Four Mandala Tara Practice at 1000. Everyone gathers for tea afterwards and just talks about life on the island. I feel priveleged to have been a part of that as well.

There is no fee to visit the Temple, but there is a donation box and I ask that you drop some money in it so this amazing, spiritual place can continue to thrive for years to come.

Visited July 2011