“A Real Surprise”

and up
Hawaii Island Experience
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Paauilo
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had heard about the tour & lunch, so we decided to try it with our company. What a treat. The first thing they tell you is do not use the GPS to try and find them. We followed the printed directions, and no problem. The lunch was so delicious. I never finish a sandwich, but the chicken breast on a vanilla-infused bun, with sweet potato fries was just so good. I ate it all. Ian, the owner's oldest son, did a fabulous job explaining how labor intensive it is to grow/pollenate the flower to produce a vanilla bean. The tour was great, although, the hill you needed to climb was a bit steep. The gift shop sold all sorts of vanilla related products, made with the company's vanilla. Yes, we went overboard, but who cares. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for our company. The lunch/tour is $39.00, which for some is pricy, but we wanted the experience, so it was worth it. Biggest drawback: 1 cash register in the gift shop and 1 bathroom for everyone.

1  Thank Sniffer0320
"learn how"
"well worth the trip"
"for sale"

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I randomly heard about this unique family-owned and operated company through a friend on the island. We were skeptical at first, but visiting the Hawaiian Vanilla Company turned out to be a fantastic experience for the both of us. We came for both the lunch and the tour. The host was the oldest son and he did a great job explaining all of the work that goes into making a vanilla bean while we enjoyed our delicious lunch. Each aspect of the meal has vanilla integrated into it and it was interesting to learn about all the ways that vanilla can be used with food.

If you want a memorable experience outside of the traditional attractions on the big island, I recommend visiting the Hawaiian Vanilla Company.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I took the luncheon/tour of the vanilla company. The food was well prepared and each item had some type of vanilla infusion. We were disappointed with the lack of the vanilla aroma we were expecting. The tour guide, Ian, was very informative and friendly. The tour was informative but short. If we had only signed up for the tour which was $25.00 we would have felt a bit ripped off. Overall we learned much about vanilla and enjoyed the total experience.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I am a foodie and as a self-taught gourmet cook I was quite intrigued to come across the Hawaiian Vanilla Company located on the Big Island of Hawaii. I booked a tour for my husband and myself, to say it was amazing is an understatement. Not only was the drive beautiful, the location of the vanilla farm itself is in the most verdant, lush landscape one can imagine. Jim, the owner, was right at hand every step of our lunch/tour combination. He told us about what inspired him to start his company and the history behind the most wonderful of orchids which produces the vanilla bean. The lunch was really quite a qourmet affair with each dish having some hint of vanilla incorporated. The tour itself was so interesting. Seeing the grow houses and learning about the delicate art of pollinating the orchids on the single day each year that it's possible to do so. Over the years I have had the great fortune to visit each Hawaiian Island. Of all the weeks I've had finding the best that Hawaii has to offer, the Hawaiian Vanilla Company ranks as one of the most interesting, pleasurable excursions I've had.