“AMAZING food at a charming family farm!”

Hawaiian Vanilla Company
Book In Advance
More Info
$223.96*
and up
Hawaii Island Experience
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Paauilo
Reviewed April 30, 2013

A true story of a dream combined with good 'ol American work ethic! I loved hearing how the entire family (dad, mom, and 5 kids) started from scratch and now have a successful business! My husband and I enjoyed the Saturday Vanilla Tea experience. The food was OUTSTANDING (curried vanilla shrimp was my favorite) and was the most flavorful meal during our 2 weeks on the big island! We loved being served by an 8 year old who was helping his dad for the day! I needed a gluten-free option and Emma was able to accommodate me! Yes, it was "off the beaten patch" but isn't that the part of the fun of traveling? :) It also means less people and a more intimate experience! Our Verizon phone's GPS got us there without difficulty! I bought some vanilla beans and am excited to make/enjoy my own real vanilla extract!!

1  Thank Julie L
There are newer reviews for Hawaiian Vanilla Company

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I read about this family business in Hawaii Magazine, So we made a reservation for lunch and gave it a try! It was a Great lunch and learning experience! They will send you directions in your email if desired, because GPS does not work up there. The Food was great and the family is very welcoming. The Reddekopp kids help with the service and the presentation.
Things to know: kids are welcome, but may not enjoy all the foods. We had Chicken breast sandwiches, Salad, crispy fried potatoes (but they were quite spicy and our 3 year old didn't like them) and Ice cream with passion fruit topping. Not all lunches are the same though. They had a booster seat--but no high chairs. The hike to the greenhouses is about 1/4 mile down-hill on a paved path--but then you have to walk back up! (if it is too strenuous a car will fit but it's not encouraged by the family.) The gift shop was nice-things are $$$-$$$$ priced, but this is how the family makes their living & everything has some hint of vanilla in it- the second most expensive spice in the world. If youre on BIG Island and want a nice "Boutique" or "tea" kind of experience--give this family a chance to show you their hard work and Aloha Spirit!

1  Thank Haightsite
Reviewed February 8, 2013

4 of us drove to the remote part of the Big Island and had a very nice tour to learn all about growing vanilla. Now I understand why it is so expensive - lots and lots of manual labor and very labor intensive. We had a lunch there that was terrific - everything made with vanilla. Purchased vanilla bean, extract, soap, etc. to bring home. Really enjoyed this tour.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Great Hawaii adventure, -very informative about how vanilla is raised and harvested. A unique
and delicious luncheon experience. We will return on a future visit. A very clear understanding
of driving directions in the Paauilo vicinity (even with having GPS) is highly recommended before
starting out.

1  Thank Traveler2527
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stumbled upon this place by chance. I saw a brochure at the Kona Airport while I was taking a flying tour over the volcanoes. The place was over on the Hilo side so I decided to take a day trip to visit the other side. One of the few (or only) places that grows vanilla in the US, I was curious and paid a vist. It was small family run farm, but interesting. It had a very small eating area with fresh and very good food as well as selling some vanilla products. I bought some vanilla beans and some teas. I am waiting to see how the vanilla extract turns out.