“Great guys, great place...and yes, I know other adjectives, smarty.”
Review of Kalaekilohana

Kalaekilohana
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Naalehu
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 25, 2009

My stay at Kalaekilohana was wonderful, even though I wrote "great" twice in my title. Kenny, a co-owner, made sumptuous breakfasts and took special care to make sure that everyone was given food that matched the person's preference. For example, Kenny made loco moko for me and me mudder and boco moko for my wife. It was gravy-tastic; my arteries are still smiling.

Kilohana, the other co-owner, was a wonderful expert on Hawaiian culture. Sadly, we did not take one of his classes, but we plan to the next time we visit. Snorkeling and volcanoes were calling this time around.

Finally, the two are wonderful, engaging and very funny hosts. I felt like I was at home when I was there, with my two very clever uncles who have a penchant for bon mots. For those who complained about service, please realize that Kenny and Kilohana aim to please and try not to disturb your privacy; they generally accommodate reasonable requests and do not intrude into your room unless asked. Remember that when assessing your wastebasket.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Mark S

Reviewed January 10, 2009

The house is beautiful and full of lots of traditional Hawaiian art and the room we stayed in for three nights was great - big, airy, and comfortable. I loved the quiet country location and the natural surroundings but still I can't recommend this B&B one hundred percent. The couple who own the property are nice but don't quite have that customer service orientation that you expect in a B&B - I often felt like I was intruding when I asked for something (e.g. toast for my son at breakfast - he is a picky 7 year old and I had to buy him food after the Hawaiian breakfast at the B&B since there was not much there that he would eat).

I would say if you need somewhere nice to stay in the southern end of Hawaii then this would be a good place for a one night stay. Another bonus would be the access to a Hawaiian artist - other guests did a lei workshop with Kilohana (owner) and had a great time learning to weave a lei.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Europe69
Reviewed December 9, 2008

Very well done B&B. Easy to find, well appointed rooms, very comfy beds, good breakfast, great hosts full of aloha. My daughter & I went there while she was here between terms. We would readily return,.. and probably will! If you’re looking for a cold sterile hotel, this is not it – otherwise I can’t imagine how anyone could be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed November 30, 2008

Kilohana and Kenny built this B&B from the ground up, and their love for the building and the grounds shows in every detail. They were gracious hosts, making us feel comfortable and welcome at the beginning of our three night stay and maintaining that spirit throughout. We had dinner one night with my sister and her boyfriend, who were visiting the island but staying somewhere else, and Kenny made a great meal that was served on the lanai with just the right mixture of personal commentary and giving us the 'space'' we needed to be private. Kilohana taught my significant other and my sister-in-law how to make leis, starting in the forest and bringing the different components back to the house for a session that ended with both of them having created beautiful leis. The respect for the local culture, the love for the island, and the great setting made for a relaxed and rewarding visit.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We stayed at Kenny and Kilohana's beautiful plantation-style home only one night during our stay on the Big Island. They were incredible hosts--gracious, generous, thoughtful. Greeted us on the lanai/front porch when we arrived and showed us to our beautiful room. Their entire home is a decorator's dream--a perfect meld of Old Hawaii and warm, modern comfort; elegant yet not at all overly formal. The king-sized bed was wonderful, and we enjoyed spending time the evening we arrived on the lanai with our hosts (we happened to be there when they had baked a mango-rhubarb pie with homemade vanilla bean ice cream for some friends, and invited us to join them--some of the best we've ever had!). Breakfast the next morning was delicious (probably the best we had during our entire week on the Island) and as beautifully presented as any we have ever had in a four-star restaurant. Our only regret was not having more time to spend there (we arrived quite late in the day and left after breakfast the next morning). It is truly a place to unplug and get away from the rat race. Although vog (volcanic smog) can be an issue when on the southernmost part of the island due to the prevailing winds, we were not bothered by this at all.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We just got back from our Hawaiian vacation and I had to come online to commend this Bed and Breakfast.

Kenny and Kilohana were the nicest people we met on the whole island. You first drive up and they great you on the lanai. No stupid registration desk or check in. Just walk in, they grab your bags and you sit out on the lanai and have something to drink. Let the relaxation begin.

The next morning, wake up to a fantastic breakfast. Fresh fruit, some of which I had never heard of, a few eggs and hashbrowns and some of the best coffee. Funny, it's not Kona coffee, but it's better. We even saw one brand on the menu at the 4 Seasons later that week.

Kenny and Kilohana tell you exactly where to go to find what you're looking for. The volcano is a 1/2 hour away and the green sand beach is just about as far a different direction. Kenny even put together a CD to help you find your way to SouthPoint and some interesting Hawaiian information.

I could write for hours, but I think you should just experience it for yourself.

Would I stay here again? Heck yeah!!!!!

This was the best beginning to a vacation I have had and I was so relaxed. Thanks Kenny and Kilohana. We needed it.

Chris and Audra

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2008

It's been a year since we stayed at Kalaekilohana and it was special enough for us to think fondly of it a year later. We recommend Kalekilohana to any travelors who like to delve beyond the surface of a destination. Kenny and Kilohana are gracious hosts who are willing to pass on their wealth of knowledge about the history and arts of the Big Island. The B&B was built with care by Kenny and Kilohana and is lovely with large comfortable rooms, fantastic showers, and a peaceful lookout room at the top. Kenny will whip up a great dinner for folks who want, accommodating dietary needs (like gluten allergies!). We were able to experience the island for the first time in a less touristy area and it was that much more special.

• Stayed: June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naalehu
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Kalaekilohana? Share your experiences!