“Not to be missed!”

$1,099.00*
Circle Big Island Mercedes 11 PSGR Tour
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Naalehu
More attraction details
Owner description: The big island of Hawaii's southernmost point features the Green Sand Beach.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

It's off the beaten path, tough to to get to, and requires either a rough hike or paying for a ride, but it is truly amazing. The green sand beach is only one of two in the world. You are literally swimming in the crater of an old volcano, where the southern side has fallen out to allow the sea to come crashing in. You are in a natural bowl, with green sand under you, cliffs rising all around you, and a turquoise sea crashing at your feet. The trick is getting there. I highly recommend paying the locals who line up to take you for $10-20 a head. Otherwise, it is a 5-6 mile round trip hike, and not a very pleasant one. Stiff winds blow a constant red dust as you trudge along a deeply rutted, unclear trail. "Deeply rutted" needs to be explained. If a battalion of tanks had played a polo match during a once in a millennium rain, then it was baked hard again, that might explain it better. Also, the distance and even direction can be deceiving. You are just basically out there in this plain, sort of following a coast line towards a destination that you cannot really see until you are upon it. I'll hike anywhere, but this one didn't seem worth it to me, especially after seeing the terrain from the back of a truck with the local "talking story" and having me and my family laughing our butts off. Two last things that don't seem to be mentioned in the guides: the climb down to the beech is steep, but doable (my older mother made it slow and easy with some help) and, from what I read, swimming can be treacherous. We did, but it was a perfect day and we did not go out far. Beautiful really. Ask a local if you are unsure and use good judgement on less than ideal days.

1  Thank PhillyChris_11

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Nice place to visit. It would be well worth the 5 mile hike, but if you have the chance to ride with a local in one of their 4 wheel drives it would be worth your while. The locals have a vast knowledge of the trail and the area and you can gleam some additional history about the area and see some additional sights. The trails to green sand beach are numerous so I could see how it would be easy to get confuse or slightly lost on the hike from the rental car parking lot to the beach. Also on a side note if you think you are going to want to jump off the cliff at South Point do it after your hike to Green Sand Beach it will be worth it.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We traveled here with a nine year old and a five year old and there was no way they could have made the hike into the beach. After reading other reviews we decided to catch a ride with a local, and sure enough, there were a couple there giving rides that day. We rode in with David, who was very nice and entertaining as well. The green sand was so cool. Very glad we didn't miss this once in a lifetime chance to see it!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I visited this place 3 years ago and honestly didn't know if I'd ever consider a re-visit, but I'm glad I did. The road to South Point in now paved all of the way to the end, as well as the road to the Green Sand Beach trailhead/parking area. That really made us happy about the decission to return. Amazing views of a very rural and natural area of the Big Island. One side of the point you can see huge swells the other side of the point completely calm, amazing! Steep cliffs, crashing waves. Suprised to find two blowholes just off the the main parking area. Lot's of locals fishing during the day usually, but this visit we went late evening (6:30 pm) and hardly anyone around. Now that the road is new and improved, it's definately worth a visit!
Only knock about this place is there really are no restroom facilities except for the same two Port-O-Lets they had in 2010, and I don't think they have emptied them since then.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We live in Maui and took a mini trip over to the Big Island to check it out (after 3 years here we thought it was over due!). I had the kid strapped in via ergo baby while we watched my husband jump off the cliff 4x and take the ladder back up-he had a blast. Now off to green sand beach. 1 bring water, sunscreens, towel and suit AND PAY THE $15 PER PERSON- best $$ ever spent unless your a camel. We rode with uncle Ben, we asked about hog hunting and gots lots of great stories, pictures and video. Needless to say it was a blast and I am also glad we packed a lunch!