“Take shuttle for fun off roading!”

South Point (Ka Lae) and Green Sand Beach
$1,000.00*
Jeep Tour: Custom Big Island Adventure
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Naalehu
More attraction details
Owner description: The big island of Hawaii's southernmost point features the Green Sand Beach.
Reviewed March 8, 2013

It's about a 6 mile round trip walk to green sand beach. You can walk and many do. We opted to pay $15 round trip to catch a ride in a tall, old bronco with a very friendly driver. We bumped along and laughed the whole trip. Once at green sand beach it is a long, steep hike straight down. A frail person would have trouble. The view from the top is spectacular. Once down on the sand it really is green! The architecture of the rock hills is beautiful, cutaway in layers. The beach is pretty.

4  Thank crisseast
There are newer reviews for South Point (Ka Lae) and Green Sand Beach

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I train for marathons (currently Boston marathon in 6 weeks) so we of course wanted to hike to the green sands beach. The hike itself is about 2.5 miles one way. The killer is the wind. If the wind is strong on that day u will have a headwind going on the way out We were fighting winds up to 40 to 60 mph that day. The worst part is you are hiking through a beach. So the wind throws the sand on your face - it really hurts. Once you get there it is amazing but also bc the winds were so strong that day we couldn't much enjoy the beach bc we were getting whipped with sand. The tailwind on the way back to the car helped. Once we got back we used almost an entire package of baby wipes to get the sand caked on our bodies off. The sand was in our eyes and deep in our ears. It was gross. The net to take away from this is its not for the faint of heart. Trulely it is worth the beauty but maybe you want to consider the locals jeep ride to the beach.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We just came back and I have to say, my husband and I wondered if we should even consider this trek. We decided to make a go of it, and our 8 year old begged to come. The challenges are totally OVERSTATED. I took some pictures for those of you that are worried, like I was. We hike a lot so I wasn't worried about the length of the hike, but was concerned about the landscape. We left from our resort in the early morning and got there about 9:30am. There were already a dozen cars in the lot, plus the guys trying to get you to pay them to ride there. No biggie, they had heard no numerous times. So we set off, in to the wind. It was a crazy headwind but it helped with the somewhat warmish temp. We stayed along the coast and enjoyed the views. It took a while, but nothing like the earlier mentioned 2.5 hours. I think the three of us made it in about 80 minutes. We wish we had timed it (which we did on the return trip). It was awesome. There were just a handful of people there. We played in the water and watched a couple of turtles swim. It was a great family adventure. So we did time the return trip, but had the tail wind this time, and it was 51 minutes. Check out the pictures to get an idea of what it is. :) Enjoy it and remember your water and sunscreen!

10  Thank maureen t
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My favorite part of the Big Island. Make sure to get a 4 wheel drive vehicle if you want to go off road at all (which I recommend). The road will bounce you around a bit, but please don't let this stop you from seeing one of the more amazing sights of this island. Don't just stop and take a picture and head out either. Plan to spend a few hours there, hike around some and enjoy the crashing waves and the black lava rocks. They cry out to be climbed on. Just make sure to have some aqua shoes, sunblock and a little common sense, oh, and a camera. You will not regret this out of the way experience.
Oh, one last thing. Your travel guide will say there are restroom facilities here...ignore that. Save yourself the horror and go in Kona or Na'alehu (depending on the direction you are comin from). Don't even look in those port-a-potties.

2  Thank cubs_girl27
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The guy at the car rental company convinced me to upgrade to a Jeep Liberty so I could do the drive myself. Upon getting to the staging area the drive was beyond my capabilities and those of the Liberty. Our party parked the Jeep and got a ride down and back with a local driver, Ben. Personable, knowledgeable and the ride was quick. Best money I spent!!!

1  Thank Gord S