“Coffee Mill Tour” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and Big Island Highlights Small Group Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Located on 24 beautiful acres in Mountain View, midway between Hilo and Volcanoes National Park, stands our farm, roasting building and retail sales facility. Come take a full tour of the farm (aprox. 1.5 Hours) or a mini tour (aprox. 20 Minutes) in our roasting room. Either way, it's fun for the whole family and you'll learn a lot about coffee, farming and even a little history. Kids won't even know they're learning because it's so much fun. Before or after your tour, be sure and enjoy a fresh light meal, using locally grown fruits and vegetables. We have one of the best Portuguese Bean soups around. Our hours are: Tuesday: 8:00am - 4:30pm Thursday, Friday, Saturday 8:00am - 2:00pm Sunday, Monday, Wednesday CLOSED If cruise ships are in port we will also be open on those days, until 4:30pm!. If you're here on a Saturday, be sure and visit our small farmers' market with big aloha, where you'll find some real treasures, great produce, a wonderful breakfast and some great local music. It truly is Mountain View's Favorite Gathering Place. Every Saturday from 9:00am until 2:00pm. We'd love to meet you!
Omak, Washington
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Coffee Mill Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Did a last minute stop at the Hilo coffee mill on our way back to Kona from Hilo. I had no idea the personal attention we were about to recieve. We were just planning on getting some coffee for the road but we were introduced to Jeanette the owner and she asked if we would be interested in a tour so of course we went. She spent a ton of time explaining and showing us pictures of the entire coffee process, she answered all of our questions and went above and beyond her tour for sure. I am so glad we stopped here, we tasted excellent coffee, met very nice staff, got some awesome gifts for the folks at home and a delightful cup of coffee for the road. This is a must see place for anyone visiting.

Visited September 2012
hilocoffeemill, Owner at Hilo Coffee Mill, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
We're really glad you stopped by and we were able to show you around. Jeanette does a great tour and enjoys teaching people about Hawaiian coffee and all about our mill, farm and retail area. I hope you got to see the chickens too. They're always fun to watch a give us great eggs which we sell and use in our unique food items in the Latte Da Bar.

Thank you for your nice review and we sure hope you get to come back and spend some more time with us.

Mahalo nui loa,

Lebanon, New Jersey
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“I was expecting a little more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

The tour was informative, but not as I expected. I booked on-line and selected the tea/coffee tour, but they didn't delve into the tea aspect at all. The taste-testing was two different roasts. They didn't offer up any flavor samplings. The place had a lot of other projects going on. I think there are probably other coffee tours in Hawaii that are better.

Visited August 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Personal Guided Tour of Amazing Property”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My girlfriend and I shared an amazing personal tour of the Hilo Coffee Mill on a recent trip to the Big Island. It was literally the owner of the plantation, my girlfriend and I. We had never toured a coffee plantation and we received a step by step hands on description of the process, followed by a tasting tour to better understand the intricacies of the roasting process. The tour lasted about an hour and was the perfect balance of length and information without feeling overloaded. I will not look at bagged coffee the same ever again!!!

Visited September 2012
hilocoffeemill, Owner at Hilo Coffee Mill, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Mahalo Chris,

Thank you so much for the great review. We love to share our farm with visitors and locals and especially enjoy it when it is so appreciated.

Coffee is a complex process from seed to cup. Understanding it really does make you think twice about it when you enjoy a cup.

Mahalo again for the kind review and for sharing your experiences with the public. Please visit us on Facebook and our website and be sure and stop in and see us whenever you get back to Hawaii.

Aloha,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Interesting, friendly, and has cats!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I don't like coffee, so can't vouch for how good it is, but my husband liked it and bought a bag of the pineapple flavour to take home.

The talk was informative, and I enjoyed the free candy. I also loved that they love cats, as I had been missing mine, and enjoyed saying hello to theirs.

Definitely worth a stop.

Visited July 2012
Aloha and mahalo for your nice review. We're glad your husband likes coffee and we're glad you were able to get your kitty fix and some great local candies. Our flavored coffees are among the best, lightly flavored to allow the great coffee taste to come out, never hidden.

Please come visit us next time you're in the area and keep in touch with us via our website and Facebook.

Thank you again for your kind review.

Arizona
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Nice and informative tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Excellent introduction to coffee milling and a nice tour of the small coffee and tea farm in the back of the main building. We chose the $15 tour that included lunch and were allowed to order anything on the menu. The tables on the front porch allowed for a very enjoyable lunch break on our way to Volcanoes National Park. I think kids would enjoy this place as much as adults. Bring an umbrella for the outside tour.

Visited July 2012
hilocoffeemill, Manager at Hilo Coffee Mill, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Mahalo for your review. We're glad you had a great time. Sharing our story and our farm is something we love to do and it's nice to hear when people enjoy it.

We're also glad you enjoyed the lunch we provided as part of your tour. We use local ingredients in all of our menu items, helping support other local farmers.

Please come back and see us when you can, refer your friends, and follow us on Facebook at HCMCoffee.

Mahalo again for your kind review.