“I was expecting a little more”
Review of Hilo Coffee Mill

and up
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and Big Island Highlights Small Group Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Located on 24 beautiful acres in Mountain View, midway between Hilo and Volcanoes National Park, stands our farm, roasting building and retail sales facility. Come take a full tour of the farm (aprox. 1.5 Hours) or a mini tour (aprox. 20 Minutes) in our roasting room. Either way, it's fun for the whole family and you'll learn a lot about coffee, farming and even a little history. Kids won't even know they're learning because it's so much fun. Before or after your tour, be sure and enjoy a fresh light meal, using locally grown fruits and vegetables. We have one of the best Portuguese Bean soups around. Our hours are: Tuesday: 8:00am - 4:30pm Thursday, Friday, Saturday 8:00am - 2:00pm Sunday, Monday, Wednesday CLOSED If cruise ships are in port we will also be open on those days, until 4:30pm!. If you're here on a Saturday, be sure and visit our small farmers' market with big aloha, where you'll find some real treasures, great produce, a wonderful breakfast and some great local music. It truly is Mountain View's Favorite Gathering Place. Every Saturday from 9:00am until 2:00pm. We'd love to meet you!
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The tour was informative, but not as I expected. I booked on-line and selected the tea/coffee tour, but they didn't delve into the tea aspect at all. The taste-testing was two different roasts. They didn't offer up any flavor samplings. The place had a lot of other projects going on. I think there are probably other coffee tours in Hawaii that are better.

There are newer reviews for Hilo Coffee Mill

Reviewed September 6, 2012

My girlfriend and I shared an amazing personal tour of the Hilo Coffee Mill on a recent trip to the Big Island. It was literally the owner of the plantation, my girlfriend and I. We had never toured a coffee plantation and we received a step by step hands on description of the process, followed by a tasting tour to better understand the intricacies of the roasting process. The tour lasted about an hour and was the perfect balance of length and information without feeling overloaded. I will not look at bagged coffee the same ever again!!!

hilocoffeemill, Owner at Hilo Coffee Mill, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Mahalo Chris,

Thank you so much for the great review. We love to share our farm with visitors and locals and especially enjoy it when it is so appreciated.

Coffee is a complex process from seed to cup. Understanding it really does make you think twice about it when you enjoy a cup.

Mahalo again for the kind review and for sharing your experiences with the public. Please visit us on Facebook and our website and be sure and stop in and see us whenever you get back to Hawaii.

Aloha,

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I don't like coffee, so can't vouch for how good it is, but my husband liked it and bought a bag of the pineapple flavour to take home.

The talk was informative, and I enjoyed the free candy. I also loved that they love cats, as I had been missing mine, and enjoyed saying hello to theirs.

Definitely worth a stop.

Aloha and mahalo for your nice review. We're glad your husband likes coffee and we're glad you were able to get your kitty fix and some great local candies. Our flavored coffees are among the best, lightly flavored to allow the great coffee taste to come out, never hidden.

Please come visit us next time you're in the area and keep in touch with us via our website and Facebook.

Thank you again for your kind review.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Excellent introduction to coffee milling and a nice tour of the small coffee and tea farm in the back of the main building. We chose the $15 tour that included lunch and were allowed to order anything on the menu. The tables on the front porch allowed for a very enjoyable lunch break on our way to Volcanoes National Park. I think kids would enjoy this place as much as adults. Bring an umbrella for the outside tour.

hilocoffeemill, Manager at Hilo Coffee Mill, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Mahalo for your review. We're glad you had a great time. Sharing our story and our farm is something we love to do and it's nice to hear when people enjoy it.

We're also glad you enjoyed the lunch we provided as part of your tour. We use local ingredients in all of our menu items, helping support other local farmers.

Please come back and see us when you can, refer your friends, and follow us on Facebook at HCMCoffee.

Mahalo again for your kind review.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

They've added dining & gift shop w/ great grounds plus farmers market on Saturday's, & it's all good
But
Don't pass on their coffee it's stellar !!!

Thanks so much for the nice review. We're glad you like Hilo Coffee Mill and some of the best coffee in Hawaii, always fresh roasted. You might be interested to know our Solar Cover is almost complete. We'll be finishing it this week. Stop by and see it. Renewable energy for Hawaii.