“Consistently good food”

Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was remodeling a kitchen over several months. During that time I ate MANY meals at the 50's diner. The menu is basic but the food is consistently good quality. The staff is friendly. And I have always enjoyed the wonderful collection of 50's memorabilia; both my parents and my children enjoy coming here. A great outing for a day out.

There are newer reviews for 50's Highway Fountain Diner

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was scouring the Hamakau Coast line for places I haven't stopped before like the little train museum at Laupahoehoe and thought I'd just to the little bit of old higway that passes thru the village. Out of the corner of my eye was an old antique 50's car that I wanted to take a picture of.

When I swung back around and parked wondering what all of the cars were doing there, I walked into an old fashioned 50's dinner and fountain. If you are in a hurry here grab a couple of milk shakes to go. If not kick back at the front fountain counter and grab a root beer and order from some of the many classic diner foods. Eventually your order will come up after the many train bells anouncing another order is ready.

I had the classic build your own burger bacon/cheese/the works. Really one of the best burgers I have had (flamed broiled) and the fries nice and crispy. If you are still hungry no worries, there's always dessert. Ask for extra napkins when grabbing your burger full of good stuff or you will have to check out the Fonzie and Happy Days inspired restroom to the front of the building to wash your hands.

They also have take out if you just want to grab some grub to take down to Laupahoehoe Point nearby. Several back tables have nice views of the ocean. If you want to linger at one of those better arrive early or late. Appears to be a popular lunch hang out for the locals.

The grils at the front counter are friendly and waiting to take your order !!!!!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Such an unexpected bit of nostalgia in a tropical paradise. Great collections of all things 50's. Staff is incredibly friendly, and the food is very good. Worth the charm. Several tables have great ocean views.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's a nice location with ocean views, an overdose of 50's memorabilia, and no nearby competition but after several visits I learned it wasn't just an off-night for the food. Stop by for a milkshake on your way up the coast, but don't expect a good meal.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have to admit never having made it here for dinner, I'm sure I'm missing out. But the breakfast is great. Their "not to be missed" items are the pancakes and french toast. I don't think I want to know what goes into the pancakes - I'm sure it's fattening - but they are hands down the best I've ever had. The staff is fantastic - wife waits tables, husband cooks. The views of the ocean are great, and the decor is fun. A very upbeat place to go!