See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 5, 2016

If you are interested in a true off the grid Hawaiian experience, Eco Retreat Hawaii is the place! Lush tropical setting, its own power grid and water catchment/purification system, great kitchen and central lanai gathering place, and unique and relaxing outdoor shower help to make Eco Retreat Hawaii an authentic, affordable backpackers traveling experience, far from the overpriced, commercialized resorts. Several different lodging options to tickle your fancy. The staff is committed to your enjoyment and comfort, and is incredibly knowledgeable about organic farming and permaculture, and lives and breathes their expertise on a daily basis. Additionally, the entire Big Island experience is at your fingertips as the Retreat specializes in providing down to earth, behind the scenes tours of the amazing island natural wonders...volcanoes, waterfalls, beaches, hiking, farmers markets, etc....with a local flavor that you cannot find elsewhere. Looking forward to a return trip soon! Mahalo!

Stayed: December 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed December 18, 2015

The best 9 months of my life . I arrived at eco hostel Hawaii for a 2 month vacation that turned into a full time life on the big island. Upon my arrival I was greeted with open arms and wonderful loving vibes. The property was absolutely stunning, as was the staff. I participated in the volunteer program which taught me a good deal about the agricultural potential of the island along with the plants and animals that thrive there already. wether it was a beautiful day to learn about composting or a lazy Sunday lounging around the common area , it was always a good time. The thing that was the most memorable for me was the fact that it was filled with travelers from all over the world with amazing experience and stories, I made friends during my time there that I'm sure to have for the rest of my life ! Thank you eco hostel Hawaii for creating such an amazing place for people to be able to learn about and enjoy Hawaii for what it is !

• Stayed: January 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2015

This is a good choice for a place to stay while you visit the Big Island. Good location near the heart of Puna. The land is very peaceful and serene. Beautiful living quarters that feel very in tune with the surroundings. Great company to share with as well, travelers and locals alike. Really stellar community space, comfy and welcoming. Nice shower and laundry space. The kitchen is fully equipped with plenty refrigeration. Off the grid living is pretty nice, super cool! Highly recommended to walks of all life. Aloha!

• Stayed: October 2015, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2015

I was there for a month, it was a great place to stay while I toured the island. Saw some beaches, went cliff jumping.
The Hostel was great, I had my own "hal-ley" for sleeping and keeping my stuff but the main area had water, power, and some beautiful vegetation where I picked my own fruit and at night I enjoyed watching movies on the projector screen.
Highly recommended, I'll be staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2015

Eco Hostel Hawaii is always in a good spirit. The cost is not so bad. It is very affordable also more fun to be outside camping. You can do art, sew, dance, craft, and anything really. I am having so much fun with my time with Eco Hostel Hawaii. Derek who is an owner of Eco Hostel Hawaii knows American Sign Language. That place is so deaf friendly. Always have the subtitle on every time. It is so cool to talk to him sign lanuage. There is a nice shower on the rocks outside. Bathroom is very sweet with bamboo walls. It is nice to sitting outside chill after work as volunteered.

• Stayed: November 2014, traveled as a couple