“Morning Magic Tour - Highly Recommend”
Review of Kona Boys

Kona Boys
Ranked #2 of 5 Tours in Kealakekua
More attraction details
Owner description: Kona's original, award winning kayak shop, serving the Big Island and specializing in Kealakekua Bay since 1995. We are a small, laid back, island style surf, kayak, and paddle board shop located on the Big Island's Kona Coast above Kealakekua Bay. Helping locals and visitors alike enjoy Hawaii's waters and providing gear for island life.
Sitka, Alaska
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Morning Magic Tour – Highly Recommend”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stopped by the Kona Boys shop to book our kayak and snorkel tour. By having a flexible schedule, we were able to make an appointment for a Morning Magic tour that had only four other clients.

On the day of the tour we met our wonderful guide, Hiko, and the shore assistant near the Napo’opo’o wharf to launch the double kayaks. Our group slowly paddled across Kealakekua Bay while Hiko told us a few stories and pointed out a group of spinner dolphins. We then took turns landing the kayaks near the Captain Cook Monument and walked along a very short path to the monument. We were quickly off in the water snorkeling. Towards the end of our time in the water, large boats began offloading their snorkelers. However, even with them present it was not particularly crowded because most of those folks stayed very close to the large boats.

There is a great variety in water depth near the monument so you really see a broad spectrum of marine life, especially if you dive down to the deeper areas. I had a blast seeing the diverse types of corals, fishes, and even a lone manta ray.

Since I had my own gear, I cannot comment on the quality of masks or fins available for rent or purchase. However, I did enjoy the lunch included in my tour package. Drybags are also provided for the kayak trip, so feel free to bring anything you may not want to leave in your car. Inexperienced swimmers may also continue to use their lifejackets while snorkeling near the monument.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Nakwasina

Denver, Colorado
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Kona Boys will take care of you!”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

On The Big Island, if you want a real outrigger canoe experience, try it with Kona Boys. You can either ride a double hull for a half day experience including snorkeling and lunch or take a typical outrigger for a paddle workout in an hour or two. I like either because it is authentic and you will get the real history this way and even experience it a little compared to the big boats. More personal especially with our guide Chase who was amazing. Highly recommended by The Adventure Travel Gal!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank JZAdventureTravelGal
Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Day on the Bay”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We had a fabulous day on our kayak-snorkel trip with Kona Boys. They made everything so easy. We also learned a lot about the area and critically sensitive bay. Please do not kayak with an unpermitted outfit. We saw the damage to the pristine reefs that thoughtless kayakers caused when they stepped out of kayaks onto fragile coral. Kona Boys is one of the few outfits with a permit to allow landing at the Captain Cook monument, and that allowed us the leisure of safe snorkeling, lunch and sunning. Our guides were friendly and shared their local knowledge. My 14 year old kayaked with Kai, one of the guides, and he made her day with his friendly chatter and good information. The guides did all the heavy lifting, the lunch was good and the snorkeling was amazing. I recommend a morning trip so you kayak with less wind and snorkel before the area gets crowded. I highly recommend Kona Boys!

1 Thank Nancy G
Ohio
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“The Best Snorkeling Experience”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Kona Boys make sure that you have the best experience possible. We took the manta ray night tour and the Kealakekua Snorkel through them. They coordinated both of those tours with Eka Canoe Adventures. Our guide was Chase for both tours. He was friendly and knowledgeable. He even gave us part of the history tour. We had a slight mix-up with the time to report to the dock. Kona Boys staff apologized and bent over backward to make it up to us. I will happily wear my Kona Boys t-shirt. My son recommended them to me and I will recommend them to others traveling to the Big Island.

1 Thank CarolynOhio
Austin
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“KAYAKS, SUP & ENDLESS ALOHA AT KONA BOYS”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

If you are blessed enough to make your way to Kealakekua, HI…then KONA BOYS is absolutely THE BEST place to stop in for any needed adventure gear, supplies or a most amazing kayak tour. These Big Island specialists are so friendly and helpful, they offer true aloha at it's finest! The store is conveniently located on the main drag. You carry yummy soft cotton tanks, t's and cool trucker hats printed with KONA BOYS original island designs. My favorite 'pick me up' is the Koola gourmet mineral sunscreen. Amazing! Be sure to say hello to the store mascot kitty cat.