“paddle boards”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kona Boys

Kona Boys
Ranked #2 of 6 Tours in Kealakekua
More attraction details
Owner description: Kona's original, award winning kayak shop, serving the Big Island and specializing in Kealakekua Bay since 1995. We are a small, laid back, island style surf, kayak, and paddle board shop located on the Big Island's Kona Coast above Kealakekua Bay. Helping locals and visitors alike enjoy Hawaii's waters and providing gear for island life.
Chico, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“paddle boards”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Great place to rent gear and get advice. We rented two SUPs. They even loaded them on our car for us and gave us some great suggestions on were to go. Also had a nice selection of rash guards and sun protection shirts....although we bought those after spending our week on the water :-)

5 Thank fbrandon

Camano Island, Washington
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“kayaking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

We found out that as of April 1 you needed to be on a tour to go to cook monument, so we kayaked and snorkled with kona boys. Jarrad, our guide , was very knowledgeable. the bay is worth the trip, lots of fish to see. Plus they let you keep the snorkle equipment for the rest of the day, so we went to place of refuge and did more snorkling.

5 Thank nancy h
new york, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“best place to rent adventure gear!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

this place is great, went there to rent a surfboard for a week, they gave me a great al merrick 6'5'' that was perfect for the waves that were happening that week. I had people all week coming up to me and telling how jealous of the board they were. Frank also took a lot of time to go over some local breaks, great place to rent, buy or just stop by and say hi.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank isfein
Knutsford, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Great day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We took the snorkelling trip on a Polynesian canoe to Cook Monument. It was brilliant and we learned so much about Hawaiian history and the islands. We would highly recommend this tour. They are well organised and good value. We saw whales and dolphins during the trip and awesome scenery including Tiger Woods private golf course!! Shame they for away with building that one. Our Captain was superb and listen to his advice. I didn't and fell into the canoe getting out and couldn't sit down for a week! All my fault. They guys and staff in the shop were excellent

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Barry T
Kelowna
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Don't just Drive by!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Funny story with a blissful ending. At this stage in my life my bucket list is composed of very few items comparing narrowly with a macro "to do" list. Prior to turning 40 i had a brief discussion with myself on where in the world i would like to be and what activities did i envision myself doing in celebration of a new day. After all I am only one day older! In search of an epic ocean adventure we headed up to Kona Boys to rent Stand Up Paddleboards. My first impression is one of ease as we roll up to what resembles a beach shack, outfitted with brightly stacked surfboards that parallel breathtaking wall graffiti and decor. We enter the store and Frank, Co-CEO warmly greets us with a no pressure info session that covers all Kona Boys have to offer. The store has a great assortment of clothing and accessories for all things related to Island life and water activities. They also proudly carry the Coola susnscreen line of products that represents a healthier alternative sunscreen with non toxic ingredients for marine life and the people wearing it.
I like that...for both reasons!
Frank asks all the right questions related to your interests and experience in what they have to offer; rentals and lessons. We talked at length about the beaches he recommends for an optimum SUP experience...my first! After carefully considering the wind, high surf and my novice skills he gently advises me that this day may not be the day to strike SUP off my bucket list. However disappointed, I accept his words of wisdom and head down to Kealakekua Bay to indulge in a few hours of snorkelling, a comparable surrogate that will suffice for today. In Frank's words it is a sacred and beautiful beach, calling it a "sweet pocket", the most protected deep water bay in Hawaii. So sacred and serene that one should not be surprised to encounter turtles, manta rays and dolphins. A dolphin encounter while snorkelling in a natural habitat ( not in captivity) ranks number one on my bucket list but have yet to experience and I am somewhat doubtful.
Frank was right. The waves were high and surf was rough so losing my SUP virtue today would not have been condusive to an uplifting experience. My husband and I cautiously set out for another hopefully non predictable snorkel and guess what? Frank was right again. The moon and stars aligned and Out of that "sweet pocket" emerged a magnificent pod of Hawaiian spinner dolphins! The awe-inspiring playfulness of these stunning creatures left us feeling like we had a whole new appreciation for snorkelling again...like it was our first adventure. They indulged us for about an hour in their back yard; spinning, jumping, navigating around and between us creating a punch-drunk, week in the knees, enlightening consciousness!
Frank, thank you for all of your recommendations and kindness! Although we were unable to rent SUPs that day We absolutely are so thankful we met you and will definitely return for SUP and a chat with a charming kind hearted local!
Mahalo!
Strike one off the bucket list!

5 Thank Jenniferkrezan