“pretty good italian place, little pricey”
Review of Mi's Italian Bistro - CLOSED

Mi's Italian Bistro
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had some great Italian food here, the polenta and pasta dish were really great! They were a little stingy on my wine pour, and the whole dinner was a little pricey, but overall I would recommend it for a nice dinner on the Kona Coast.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Delicious food and good service! I have lived on the Big Island for 24 years and, being from europe, I am very "picky' with food, but I can tell you that you won't be desappointed at Mi's (maybe just by the meatballs?) Aloha!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Husband & I went for a quiet intimate dinner to get out the tourist area of Kailua Kona- we are experienced travellers to the islands, so few surprises about island style here. Allow me to first state the food was immaculately prepared & presented. The menu is very slim for Italian; the special offered was an 'Italian sheperd's pie', which had no appeal whatsoever. WE went with bacon wrapped scallops, soup of the day, cioppino, & crab manicotti. The scallops were the largest we've seen in a long time! The soup was a spicy puree with kabocha squash & eggplant seasoned highly with something akin to a masala- couldn't get any description as the server disappeared for over half an hour. Crab manicotti had a red sauce vs, white, which was an interesting change of pace. Cioppino was lovely, with prawns, scallops & fish in a very fresh base. Tiramisu & banana flambe ended the meal with generous portions of each, obviously made with care, down to a handmade brown sugar butter sauce for the bananas. ......Ok, here's what threw meal off: the service was oddly disjointed & i defnitely felt a cool attitude from the 'front person' - a woman; there were only 3 staff i could see in the restaurant, & frankly it seemed roles were confusing at best. the front person greeted, took orders, brought drinks, then disappeared for a LONG time, only to reappear & chat with the only 2 other tables in the place, obviously locals...our table was ignored by her until she brought the check & very distantly thanked us. the food was served by the cook, shyly smiling & ran back before we could thank him. the 3rd person, a very friendly young man, had the art of engaging customers, & took ur plates, brought bread & talked me into trying tiramisu for dessert. I suspect the front person was offended we were not local, & that i had asked for olive oil vs. butter for bread. I think overall, the place could be a gem, but until the service gets the lesson that if advertise in the tourist magazines, you're going to get...tourists.

1  Thank christine s
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I do not expect to have a nice dining experience in a restaurant that shares a small strip mall with a mini-mart and a kayak rental outfit. What a surprise. Not only does Mi's serve delicious Italian food, the best we've eaten on the Big Island, but it also offers a peaceful and elegant atmosphere and great service. Prices are more than fair compared with other restaurants on the Kona side. The only negative I have to share is that the bread Mi's bakes does not come up to the standards of the rest of the food.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Good date atmosphere, even better food. A little on the pricey side, but worth it in flavor and portions.