“The tour we hoped for”

Greenwell Farms
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Kealakekua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Kona coffee plantation.
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

A lot of family history and agricultural information. Did 2 other coffee farm tours in the 2 weeks we were on vacation. This one by far the best! Try the jenny-k coffee. Great stuff! Loving history farm!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"the big island"
in 77 reviews

Reviewed March 11, 2014

You have to go to take a tour. One of the finest coffee farms, no doubt. The tour totally worth it (very interesting), the tasting incredible, and the coffee superb, expensive (the coffee if you buy some) but, again, we are talking about Kona Coffee, which it is just great, goes beyond its reputation!
The lady at the free tour very experienced and very nice.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I found this place on our trip to the Big Island because one of the locals told us it is the best there is. After visiting, I totally believe it! We were greeted with many free samples of rich, wonderful Kona coffee. The free tour had a local man explain to us the intense process involved in raising this premium coffee, hand picking it, and roasting it. It was a great and informative tour! Coffee is available for purchase in the gift shop.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

10 minutes down the road from Kailua-Kona...too easy. It looks a little unassuming with not much going on but all that Greenwell Farms Coffee tour and shop have to offer is not right off the highway. When you drive onto the property you're directed down the farm road to the coffee farm behind the big white warehouse and mill located on the highway. You will be pleasantly surprised what you find. There is a open air coffee shack that is stocked with every fantastic flavor of coffee they grow and make. They even had their famous Peaberry when I stopped (not available through Internet / mail order). We bought several kinds of coffee, and they even sell travel presses in case you don't have a way to make coffee in your lodging. One thing I have learned about coffee is that ground coffee from the store can contain filler and things "un-coffee like", and most beans are machine picked in the big agro profiteering World which leaves no room for separating the unripe beans from the ready to pick beans. That results in bitter coffee, that most people are accustomed too unfortunatley and over sweetening and adding cream is done to make it taste good. I noticed immediatley that 90% of the coffee being sold at Greenwell was whole bean. This place is no joke, and I write this many days after the visit and I'm still grinding and brewing my coffee from Greenwell. It is really fantatsic. Coffee tour was free. Viewing the chamelion in the tree was also free along with the numerous hot and ready coffee tasting samples they've prepared. The staff was great, especially the girl who was from Chicago who is now a Hawaiian. This place will not disappoint you. Make a plan and stop here even if it's for 10 minutes. I hope my review helped... Mahalo

2  Thank California_Wine
See more reviews
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stopped by the Greenwell Farm and were immediately offered as many different coffees as we wanted to sample while we waited for the next tour to start. Our tour guide was so friendly and knowledgable as he had grown up on a coffee farm. Our group was small and he guided us through the history of the family who started the farm as well as the process of sorting and drying the coffee. It is well worth a stop even if you're not a coffee drinker.