“Fun tour, laid back atmosphere and good coffee”
Review of Greenwell Farms

Greenwell Farms
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Kealakekua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Kona coffee plantation.
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We visited Greenwell Farms on recommendation from a friend from the area. The tour started about 10 minutes after we arrived, just long enough to try a couple of samples and see one of the resident chameleons before getting started. Everything was close, not much walking. The tour probably took 30 minutes and we were able to see some of the coffee trees, and some of the outdoor processing areas. The people were nice and coffee was great, although pricey, I was happy to make the splurge since the tour was free!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed February 21, 2014

On the way home from snorkeling at Ho'okena, we planned a stop for a coffee sampling. My son and his lovely wife are dedicated coffee connoisseurs and hoped to buy something delicious. Tara consulted The Big Island Revealed and chose Greenwell Farms in Kealakekua. Greenwell's turned out to be quite the little tourist attraction. The tasting was held on the verandah of a quaint old house amid the coffee plantation. Not only were there coffee trees, but the site offered a killer view of the coast a couple thousand feet below. In addition to people whose only job was to sell you coffee, there were tour guides to show you the coffee trees and explain the production. Being cooperative customers, we all sampled the multiple brews available for purchase (And I have to admit that the offerings were delicious, even to your humble correspondent, who regards Yuban Dark Roast as the highlight of the morning.) As I was sipping from my tiny paper cup, my eye was attracted to a plastic model of a Jackson's Chameleon perched in a basket where it served as a paperweight for some brochures. I wondered aloud, "Wouldn't it be sweet if there was a chameleon here?

Just behind me one of the ladylike coffee selling docents said, "There's one right over here ." In the words of Country Joe and the Fish, "My nose went up like an infield fly!" And While Joe McDonald might have been "Fixin' to Die", I was suddenly fixin' to die and go to heaven. I have searched high and low for a chameleon for thirty years in Kona. I have searched around my home and garden. I have stalked around arboretums, cemeteries and tropical gardens at a variety of altitudes. I have scoured the church yard up in Holualoa. On several occasions I have received reports of sightings from my neighbors. And most brutal of all, just last year a good friend emailed me a picture of a Jackson's Chameleon crawling in a bush right outside his porch at Alii Villas. Oh, the cruelty!

Well the nice lady, looking very GQ in her navy blue Greenwell Farms T shirt, walked Sandra and I about fifteen feet from the verandah to an orange tree (I could tell, because it was laden with lovely oranges.) Pointing up to a spot just out of my reach in the branches of the orange tree, she said, "There he is." Initially he was difficult for me to spot because (now follow the logic here) he was a chameleon. Green like the leaves of the tree, he had bright yellow eyes and three magnificent horns. This was an absolutely gorgeous animal! Commensurate with the beauty of the chameleon and the importance of the moment, I proceeded to make a complete nuisance of myself taking pictures from this angle and that. All the while, those independently moving peepers were keeping an eye on the goings on. As if she had not done enough, our charming docent (who I swear bears angel wings and a halo) took us to another tree so we could admire and document an immature chameleon. And then (can you even imagine that this could get any better?) she summoned one of her buddies who coaxed Mr. Green onto his hand and transferred him to me. Another flurry of photos ensued!

While all this was going on, my son and his lovely wife completed the tasting and purchased several pounds of delicious beans. Then, with consummate stealth, they trapped me in one of those dork-size butterfly nets you can rent at the Kona Home for the Bewildered. Somehow, they got me into the car, thus ending the chameleonathon.

We have another couple of guests coming in a few weeks, and if you think they are going to make it out of Kona without a visit to Greenwell Farms, well, that's just silly.

jeff

1  Thank JeffLookinatFish
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We toured this coffee farm and had an amazing host. He even gave us papaya, avocado and oranges to try. The coffee is exceptional and I learned so much-Loved everything about Greenwell Farms!!!! Must Do!!! And the coffee is to die for-everyone I brought back coffee for can't stop raving about it. 100% Kona.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Greenwell Farms is accessible and easy to find on the main road. Their our is informative about the business of coffee harvesting. The farm has been in the family for generations...a pfd they continue to produce some of the best kona coffee! Unfortunately they have run out of their reserve coffee which is worth the trip!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We went on one sunny afternoon and was greeted by a coffee tasting. It was fun to taste the different kinds of coffee and the person in charge was informative and I learned what the different coffee tasted like. Out tour guide was Daniel who was really into the tour. He made it fun and informative. I recommend this tour to anyone who is interested in a coffee tour.