“No riffraff or bedbugs.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kealakekua
Pineapple Park Hostel - Kona
Reviewed December 15, 2010

I read the reviews of Pineapple Park after staying there, and I think that while Annie, the owner, can seem a bit abrupt at times, she's really just doing what she has to do to keep up a good standard of accommodation. I've stayed in several hostels that have been all but destroyed by filthy, inconsiderate guests, and Annie is able to maintain a clean, safe establishment by making it clear that she won't tolerate that sort of behavior. So, I say good for her. I thought Pineapple Park was pretty good value overall. Our private room was a little small for two - rather than sharing the smallish double bed, my friend slept on the fold-out futon, which was rusty and didn't quite fold out to be perfectly flat, but it was close enough to be serviceable. The bedding provided was nice except for the crinkly plastic pillows, but I'm pretty sure this is an anti-bedbug measure. Common areas (bathroom and kitchen) were clean and spacious and there's plenty of outdoor seating for meals and just hanging out. Lily, the dog, is cute and downright hilarious when she plays with her stuffed monkey. I recommend eating at Annie's Burgers & Beer up the highway a mile or two toward Kona (I'm pretty sure it's a different Annie, for the record). Great location for snorkeling, kayaking and surfing - I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank hbinnz

Reviewed December 3, 2010

Before I came I had read all the crappy reviews of that hostel, but when I finally got there, I was surprised on the POSITIVE side! Instead of the dorm room Annie gave me a private room, as there was space enough and the dorm was cramped with people already. I really appreciated that. And whoever said that the showers are lousy obviously was too lazy to walk over to the guest showers and used the kayak rental showers, which obviously are quite basic, as they are only thought for rinsing yourself off sand and salt! Be honest, for that price you can't get anything that great in many places!!! And if you decide you need some pampering for your stomach and you're lazy to cook, then just walk over the street, there's a delicious Italian restaurant! Besides, free fruit in the kitchen, use of their phone for reservations, and just situated in a great rainforesty area... wonderful to wake up here and know you're in Hawaii!!!
PS: And you're just a few minutes away from one of the best snorkelling spots ever!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Sirup
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I stayed at the Pineapple Park for 6 nights. I came to the big island to compete in the Ironman championships. Annie, the owner, provided a shuttle service on race morning (4:30am) to make sure I will be there early and relaxed. Great people and great place! Definitely a place to come back to!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank stefan777
Reviewed October 16, 2010

We stumbled upon Pineapple Park to rent our kayak and snorkel gear and were so glad we did. The price was great and Annie was super helpful. She explained exacly where we needed to go, how to get there, how to use the equipment and made us feel like we knew what we were doing. She is funny too. Thanks Annie!

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tlarie
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Wow Annie is a great hostess. We stayed 2 nights and rented gear from PPK. We upgraded to the room w bath. Great for a Hostel! We hostel all over the world and this was like many with a common kitchen (including interesting people and the yummy smells) We recommend it to any wanting an inexpensive, homey place to do the Kona coast from.
PS check the Euro SCUBA shop across the street!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DruidMan
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We stayed at all three Pineapple Park properties while on the Big Island. Doc and Annie were excellent hosts and they gave us a nice discount off of the "semi-private" rate as well as upgrading us to private rooms with private baths in the Hilo and Kona locations.

The private room we had was quite nice, and there was a fan provided which kept it comfortably cool. However, their website describes private rooms as having King of Queen beds, and we're pretty sure the bed we had was just a double, which was a little tight for us (as we are accustomed to a king at home). The hostel also has a large shared kitchen, and a comfortable sitting area. Of the three Pineapple Parks, this on had the most people using the kitchen, and the most food crammed into the fridge and freezer, but we always managed to find room for our food. The fridge is cleaned out regularly so nothing gets gross in there. There are some coin-operated washers and dryers available as well. There was a sign on them that said they were only for housekeeping use, but when I asked, I was allowed to use them. However, I think they may not always be available, so ask about that if it's going to be a priority for you. The free wifi was limited in range, and mainly accessible from the common areas.

The people (both the hosts and other guests) were friendly. Overall it was a clean and functional place to sleep and prepare some meals.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Didn't stay at the hostel itself, but found them online for great deals on kayak rentals. They were VERY helpful in showing us where we were going & giving us a good deal on all that we needed. We priced around the area, they're the most competitive. They're also right by Kealakekua Bay, which is EXCELLENT for kayaking & great for snorkeling as well. Just make sure to stay off the shoreline; those waves/undertow can be vicious!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kealakekua
Manago Hotel
Ka'awa Loa Plantation
#1 of 15 in Captain Cook
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Mermaid Dreams Bed and Breakfast

Been to Pineapple Park Hostel - Kona? Share your experiences!